Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting story! On Christmas Eve the weather opened up and I took the 360 for a spin. After driving for a few miles. I saw a few CHPs on the freeway and ended up slowing down to speed limit. While I was passing them (there were 6 or seven cars in stretch of ½ mile) I saw one of them getting into his petrol car and getting on the freeway! I thought he is going after someone else as the traffic was moving at 80 and I was going between 65 and 70 MPH. No, he was after me. I pulled over and he came up to the window and said we’ve had 911 call about an orange Ferrari flying through the freeway. He gave me a bunch of hard time…to make the long story short, he could not give me a ticket for speeding instead he gave me ticket for not having the front plate.
Yesterday a buddy of mine and I rigged the front plate to one of the openings in front on the 360. It looked ugly but I wanted to get the ticket taken care of without drilling holes into the bumper. We went to sheriff station and he’s first comment was, “CHP gave you ticket for that?” So he inspect it and signed the ticket and admired the car and said, “I’ll be a hair on your ass if you don’t burn’em up.” Then he called his sergeant and he said you gotta take the plate off when you get home and said burn’em up when you’re leaving. As I was pulling out he said wait let me stop the traffic. They actually stopped the traffic for me to get on the street and I turned the ASR off and burn the tires off in the first and then took off like I was dashing for ¼ mile in a strip! A soar note finishing up with sweet ending… I though a few of your folks down there appreciate it.

Cheers,
I can't drive speed limit! :lol:

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
LOL
pretty funny, and with your tubi that should have been amazing

but???
euhm???

911 call about an orange Ferrari flying through the freeway

are you serious???

·
Registered
900 Posts
Great story. Even cops bend the law for a good burnout.

:work:

·
Registered
895 Posts
Well, that's a good ending to that story! Sounds like a cool Sheriff. ;)

But that CHP guy must've had a stick up his arse...gees.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Today I was popped for doing 90 mph.

The two separate CHP cruisers stopped me after going up the grapevine in Southern California. One could not catch me going up and the other caught me after I slowed down at the top. My 550 has no front plate. My ticket does not mention the front plate. I guess I am lucky.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Not every state is the U.S. requires a front plate. North Carolina does not for one. Also, if a vehicle comes from the factory with out a bracket for a front plate, then it is exempt.

And, as for the cops letting you burnout...sweeeet! I'd say you got out lucky. ;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was shocked with the sheriff's reaction to the car! I've had the car for three years and I've gotten my share of the tickets. None of my cars have a front plate. I think it makes the car look ugly... period. But you are right, California law requires it if two plates have been issued for the vehicle. But I had never received a citation for not having the front plate. And, I tell you some CHPs are cool and they wave at you and your car but some are so …that gives them joy to write you up. We learn to cope with it!

The interesting part of this story were the cool sheriffs who went out of their way to give me green light to light the rears so they could get a whiff of the sound and smell…

Cheers

·
Registered
895 Posts
Yeah, that must have been cool. Blocked traffic off for you and everything. Sweet! 8)

What county's sheriff department was this?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dr. Bob said:
Cool story, but that 911 call, were you really flying at such speeds?
I understand the concern, and I don't do it in any of my other cars. The 360 is so sure footed that invites you to...

Some of you may be familiar with I280, stretches from south San Jose to San Francisco. It is by far one of the most beautiful freeways I have ever driven and has some of the longest runs between on-ramp to off-ramps (some up to 3 miles). The road is constructed with high-speed sweeping turns with elevation changes…. The average commuter speed is about 80 – 85 MPH. 10 lanes of traffic there are usually plenty of space to speed, which everyone does. There is no justification but a Suburban at 80-85 MPH is practically out of control, and 360Modena at 145 MPH can still change lane in an instant, stop on a dime and accelerate out of trouble.

It is just hard to resist the invite… but the CHP is camping on that road and looks like every once in a while they raid the motorist. I have learned the lesson and now avoid the road in my orange 360. It sticks out like soar thumb.

Cheers,

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
i find it a bit pathetic and strange that people call 911 if they saw you speeding :eek:
here they just get out of the way for you

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, here in the States drivers really have no clue about freeway driving. I won't get in to the details, we have learned to live with it. But, I think it is worse in California (north worse than south) than anywhere else. But calling 911... give me a break (the CHP could have made it up, I don't know). Nevertheless, he was not able to cite me for speeding when he had no idea where and by how much. The laws here are at least in the people's favor. The CHP has to either clock you visually (between two known points) or follow you for some distance before they can tell if you were speeding, or use a radar gun. In his case he had no clue how fast and where I was speeding, he just got a call (so he said)...

You guys in Europe got it made, at least most places. In some countries there are speed traps with camers. But in Spain or France for example there are speedlimit but I don't think anyone cares as long as you are doing it safely. And yeas, people move over when they have passed the slow traffic or they see somone coming into their mirror.

Cheers,

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
trust me if you want to drive fast do it in Germany or italy then
when there are no signs on the german autobahn the adviced speed is 130
if there are signs, don't speed
in france they do care
i'm waiting on a speeding ticket from france from a speedtrap, at least i think it was for me :-?
and also watch out on the peage sections in france, if they see you speeding there they just wait for you at the end of the peage section and they pull you over there, since you are standing still at the booth (yes i've seen that happen a few times already)

but for the rest it's good here
i usually tend to drive around 130 max 140 (speedlimit is 120)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts