Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a nice 308 for only a few weeks. Got the call a few days ago from a friend that has a buddy getting a divorce. Owner seems like a nice guy to deal with. Car is an 85 GTSi QV, European version. Car has 27K miles and is very clean and strong. Paint is absolutely stunning. From initial viewing, car needs wheels redone, front spoiler touch up, maybe interior freshening. Has new brakes, new tires, AC nice and cold, 30k done last year at 24K miles, clean CarFax. Parking brake doesn't seem to hold despite the owner having put a "few hundred" into repairing it. Window lifts are incredibly slow. Engine compartment needs a detail and intake manifold needs paint. This is the second owner (only about a year) and unfortunately, no service records from the 1st owner. Owner agreed to take care of some obvious issues - busted targa latch, busted left door strap pin, oil leak from somewhere at engine transmission junction, fix new brakes pulling to right. Have a full pre-buy inspection scheduled later this week with a local expert. Just wanted to share. Any advice would be appreciated. I'll post outcome of pre-buy and additional details when complete.

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to FL.

If it is a Euro version, make sure it has all the proper DOT releases. You can contact Dick Merritt at 202-366-5300 to confirm. Leave him a message on the answering machine with the Chassis/VIN number and then you will get a response back in a day or 2. Dick is very helpful and a real Ferrari expert.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Looks like a great car! The windows are a pain. Mine are incredibly slow also and I just haven't gotten around to fixing them. I usually put them down in the spring and put them back up in the fall. The parking brake on my car isn't 100% either.

A little advice - if you are buying the car to drive don't sweat the small stuff. People on this board have had to remind me to stop being so anal about my car and that I don't own a museum piece, I own a 27 year old CAR. It's a car, they made thousands of them. So if this car needs the wheels re-done, the spoiler touched up, the interior freshened, etc. So what? If it was perfect it would need all that a month after you bought it. Concentrate on the big stuff like mechanicals (which sounds like they are looked after) and rust. You could use the little stuff as a bargaining chip but not a show stopper. The spoiler will never be perfect, you could have it redone and you'll probably scrape it on the way home. Buy it, drive it, enjoy it, maintain it, don't lose sight of the fact it's just a car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the great comments and advice. Owner says he has DOT paperwork for Euro conversion but I'll call Dick Merritt just to make sure. An additional question - How much does not having a complete service history really affect the car's value? A buddy of mine has a Daytona and a 246 and both cars are without service history. Since he has done restoration on both he isn't worried about the lack of documentation. Thanks!

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Hard to say exactly but if you have two cars in equal condition, one with history, original books, tools, etc and one without, the former is always going to be worth more. You might contact Michael Sheehan at Ferraris Online (http://www.ferraris-online.com) to get his opinion on how much it impacts the price.

IMHO, in terms of relevance for the older, non concours Ferraris, complete history is nice but not critical. What is important is the recent history. If I am going to be buying a car to drive, I want to know that in the last 4-5 years, it has been properly maintained. Of specific interest are oil/fluid changes, age/condition of tires, and cambelt changes.

In all cases, always get a professional PPI done.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
impactco said:
How much does not having a complete service history really affect the car's value?
It does affect the value some but I'd agree with Boxer, not that much on a non-Concours Ferrari. Documentation of recent service is more important than whether or not the car had the tires rotated and the oil changed 20 years ago. I don't care if the brakes pads were changed in 1995, does it need brake pads now? Get the PPI.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Done deal!

Ok, car passed extremely detailed pre-purchase inspection today. Engine and gearbox a 10! Needs a clutch and belts and a few minor items but no deal breakers. I'll post more info in the next few days along with details about the absolutely priceless L.A. area mechanic I found. Dreams really can come true!! Thanks for all the feedback guys! :green:

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Sounds like you've got a great car you're looking at there! Hope the deal comes together for you and I look forward to seeing more pics of your dream car! I love the Euro frontend. That's what's on my car also. The QV is definately the best of the 308 series. I went with the '79 because I absolutely wanted the 4 webers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll try to relate my pre-purchase inspection in detail -

Not having a good mechanic to call, I was referred to a guy in the North Hollywood area of Los Angeles by several different friends and two Ferrari Club members. My prior mechanic (inexpensive, reliable, honest) had quit the business for more lucrative undertakings. Upon first driving into the area I was expecting a commercial location but found the address was in a residential area. The below picture was my first clue that this was the right address:

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Upon approaching his gate I was allowed in by the proprietor, Kevork Hazarian. He is heavily involved in the Ferrari club and organizes many events. He also races his silver Mondial regularly. His immaculate home's back yard looks like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We spent 5 hours together going through the mechanics of the car. Here are some pics of the car being inspected and pics of the leak down test showing only around 5% loss - all 8 cylinders were 5-10%. Compression was solid on all 8 between 175-185PSI.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bottom line was that the engine and trans were rock solid. Car needs a new clutch, a belt change, 2 seals replaced and brake adjustment. Kavork seems like a professional, honest, nice guy to deal with. Inspection was $300 and well worth the peace of mind it brought me. I should have the car in about a week and then the fun/cosmetic fix up work begins!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:green: :green: :green:

I would love to know of any other members who have used Kavork for service and their comments. I'm a happy customer. :D :D :D

You can call Kevork Hazarian at 818-755-9555

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Nice 308, congratulations...

Hoping to see more pics of it when its all done !

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Great find and welcome to FL! Let us know how the fixing goes and keep us posted on the progress.

I would be happy to add Kavork to our Dealer & Service map. Does he have a website? If you send me a private message with his address I'll add it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts