Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here is the story a friend of mine while cruising a "classics" junkyard these are all 1960's and older cars mainly composed of domestics... came across a 1966 GTB the body is in fine shape the interior is a little rotted from the elements but we are trying to get some more info on this car to see if its worth it to keep it or sell it.

so far we know its a 1966 GTB not sure if its a GTB/C the enigne and trans numbers all match but from what he told me it has 4 carbs... not the standard 3 or 6 that i have seen on these before... it is a v-12 it has the GT spoke rims and a single mirror on the driver side... which is left hand drive we sent the vin number into a dealership to try to get more info on how much a rebuild would be on this and trying to get an idea of a resto job... it has 123,000 on the odometer i dont know if thats in KM or miles but the car is supose to be dropped off in the next week he has to dig it out of this 200acre junk yard before we get a better look at it... but can any of you give me some help... whats with this 4 carb setup... if it is he just told me 4... and what special details should i look out for to determin exactly what kinda car we are dealing with?

thanks
dave

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i'll try to get some pictures up as soon as the car gets back here.. but from what he told me its in fairly good shape for the year and being outside for the past 10-15 years the owner said.. and he doesnt remeber were the car came from it had been back there so long not touched... everything still entact.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hmm ...

Sounds interesting. As far as details for what kind of car it is the VIN number will really tell all. Drop it on the forum and we can give you ALL the details.

Obviously you can either have the 275 GTB or GTB/4. GTB/4 having 4 cams, dry sump, and six carbs. The GTB/4 will have a hood 'bump' which will help distinguish between the GTB and GTB/4. You can look for a torque tube, which was fitted on later models that year, but otherwise you're gonna have dig through the records to find out about what the real deal is. You MIGHT have been lucky enough to stumble onto the alloy bodied 4 cam model.

heres the GTB
http://www.snabelapunktumdk.dk/Ferrari_275GTB_1965.jpg

heres the GTB/4
http://www.motorclassiccorp.com/images/275GTB4.jpg

I have no idea what to tell you about the 4 carb deal. That doesnt make much sense to me. No 275 ever had 4 carbs, nor did anything else in 66.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thats whats getting me too, im guessing its the 3 carb setup and he just didnt take that great of a look at it im sure he would have noticed the 6 carb setup on it if it was... he is sure its the aluminum body though thats why he grabbed it said it looked great for the year and the junkyard parted with it for only 4,200 so it was a steal eaither way...why it ended up in a junkyard will just take some research to find out... who would ditch one i dont know but from what he told me sounds like he found a treasure that would have been left to rott... all though restoring it might take a good chunk of change as well.. he called in the vin to a dealership and they told him about 13-14k for the complete engine rebuild kit and we arnt sure the transmissions condition, but after sitting 10-15 years it will most likely need a rebuild as well along with all the wearable parts.. if its kept or parted out isnt a for sure thing yet.. just trying to get an idea of the car and if he wants to keep it...

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
alright got to find out some more... they called ferrari on it came back as a GTB/4 the number he gave me was "031412" the thing tossing me still it is an aluminum body, it has 4 carbs it has the ferrari valve covers it is a 3.3 litre v12 but there is no bulge in the hood... not getting much info on it yet they are trying to track down the original dealer, but he got a call from Jay Leno already he got an offer for 25,000 for it so far as is...

·
Registered
509 Posts
Wow, sounds like a great bit of luck. I was reading and the first thing that came to mind was "ILL BUY IT FOR 4300!!!!":)

Everything sounds a little funny, someone must not have been paying attention to what they had in their possesion (obviously, can we say junk yard). A GTB/4 would have the hood bulge cause of the cams. The alloy body version would have had 6 carbs. Also your VIN number is a little funny - 31412 is kind of odd. Thats like 1980s territory.

To summarize:

Your car has a GTB hood, a GTB/4 VIN/engine, and a competition body. Not to mention carbs that have no discernable origin!

You should write a book. This is good stuff!

Anyway, good luck and please post some pics!

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
well he just got off the phone with another dealership and they said its a legit GTB/4
hes pretty excited about it... at first he thought it wasnt worth anything... i thought the number was a little odd too he might not be giving me the right number... he just gave them every number he could find on the car,hes never delt with one before or done much research into it before now doesnt really know what to look for on it, but from what they said to him which wasnt much was its is a 1966 GTB/4 left hand drive for american sale after that they said they wanted more proof of ownership before they gave him any more info on it.. right now hes at the junkyard carfully digging it out it sank to the bottom of the doors in mud over the 15 years it was in the junkyard... the owner was just gonna get a fork lift and get it out and once he figured out what it really was he rushed over there to try not to damage anything...im just glad it didnt go to waste the windows were up and everything and he said the interior is still pretty much complete but has sun damage to some of it.the paint is pretty badly faded but i guess not completely gone.. he just wants to get it home as soon as possibal so he can lock it up..lol ill toss some pics up as soon as i can.. he wants to have it home by this weekend..

·
Registered
509 Posts
My offer is still standing, 4300 bucks for her!

·
Registered
613 Posts
This is very interesting. Why would anyone leave a Ferrari standing in a junkyard for 15 years when it isn't damaged?

It would be great to learn more about the history of this car. Hope you'll have the right SN and some pics soon....

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats what i want to know too... they are still trying to find the original dealership for more info... im sure you know you cant just type in a SN on car fax and get some owners listed out of it... he told me they did find out the last owner who use to live in there area of the junkyard, he has sence passed away but he was supose to get in contact with his son... from what he knows so far the previous owner got into some kind of money issue and durring that the car ended up there it has no body damage but we have yet to find out the condition of the engine and transmission, i still dont see why he would have given it up, money or not i would have dragged that car to every place i live untill i didnt have a money issue..lol

·
Registered
151 Posts
wezeles said:
alright got to find out some more... they called ferrari on it came back as a GTB/4 the number he gave me was "031412" the thing tossing me still it is an aluminum body, it has 4 carbs it has the ferrari valve covers it is a 3.3 litre v12 but there is no bulge in the hood... not getting much info on it yet they are trying to track down the original dealer, but he got a call from Jay Leno already he got an offer for 25,000 for it so far as is...
This all sounds like BS...The Even number you have given doesn't exist in any Ferrari Sequence. All the Alloy Bodied GTB/C's are known and accounted for. The 4 Carb thing seems like a left field red herring. And Jay Leno is a very outspoken Ferrari Hater and does not have a single Ferrari in his collection.

Pictures speak a thousand words ! - Hope you prove me wrong if it is a long lost Ferrari - But I doubt it?

Argento

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Argento,

Good job on calling this out. If it isn't total BS it is obvious the person is ignorant. Really it is easy to find the serial number and it isn't on the dash (even the newer cars put the vin on the steering column, Enzo I think is the exception?).

·
Registered
509 Posts
i wasnt going to say anything just cause it seems this is all being reported second hand by someone whos obviously not a ferrari lover, but it all seems kind of odd.

You have to also consider that there is nothing to gain by pulling all of our legs. Who gives a crap if it does or does not exist, its not like its going to have any bearing on my significant daily activities.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Lol

If anyone wants to make me an offer on the 250 GTO I found buried in my garden the other day, just give me a call, and we can arrange for the deposit to be paid into my account. Apparently it is the long lost "missing" GTO that everyone has been looking for. I had a photo, but I lost it. The chassis plate has been eaten by worms, but I know it's the real deal as all the original paperwork is still in the glove box being guarded by a pixie.

·
Registered
613 Posts
marlin said:
If anyone wants to make me an offer on the 250 GTO I found buried in my garden the other day, just give me a call, and we can arrange for the deposit to be paid into my account. Apparently it is the long lost "missing" GTO that everyone has been looking for. I had a photo, but I lost it. The chassis plate has been eaten by worms, but I know it's the real deal as all the original paperwork is still in the glove box being guarded by a pixie.
No thank you. I already got three to rebuild...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Real 250 GTO Chassis on Ebay

Jim Glickenhaus, The now famous owner of many early Ferrari and his new creation, the 612 P4/5, has just said this...

As per a friend I trust, a real 250 GTO chassis will be offered at no reserve on ebay soon. This is for real and it is an original chassis. There is of course a 250 GTO running about with this chassis number but as per my friend and I beleive him, that is a replacement chassis and this is the original chassis.

These are interesting times...

Any guesses on the Chassis # in question?

Argento

1 - 20 of 23 Posts