Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The largest crowd ever to watch a Formula One race in America is at Indy right now. Next year will be the smallest crowd if there is a race here.

Will someone please tell me why a curve which is almost 100 hundreds old is too hard for FOrmula One tire?

:evil:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Bart - I agree - it's not a good advert for Formula 1 - and for a change I'm not even going to go on about how much I hate it already. It's really indicative of the sickness within the sport - even the fans don't matter anymore - how sad is that? Bernie Ecclestone/Max Moseley should hang their heads in shame - they could easily have worked out a way to run the race. It's a real shame.

To be honest, it's also a very poor advert for Ferrari - they've done themselves a great disservice today.

In answer to your question - the F1 cars run with MUCH more downforce than the Indy cars, to allow them to run so quickly through the tight infield course. This places much higher stresses on the tyres through the fast banked corners - which would never be experienced in oval racing.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I agree that Ferrari has a part in this but I also feel Michelin is the one to blame here. Not being able to select a tire that works is just unbelievable.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I agree, I think its the responsibility of every team to pick their tires so they can race. 14 cars pulling out of a race because of poor judgement is irresponsible, especialy for the little F1 we have here.

Im curious, I'm not sure what Ferrari could have done to prevent this? In any case, I thought it was a little ridiculous. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Ferrari was the only team who did not want to race with a chicane. Also the FIA did not want to change that, but if they did, Ferrari was the only team who did not want to do that, I guess this was better for the points...

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
The fault lies entirely with Michelin. They couldn't come up with a good tyre. Or at least... that's the story. What I find really intruiging is that they seem to base it on Ralf Schumacher's crash during training on a spot where he went off last year. Now... it could be just me... but I'm thinking that Michelin isn't to blame... but Ralf. He just doesn't know how to drive. Nobody else crashed there. The IRL and Champ know how to race ovals...

So... I'm blaming Ralf Schumacher. In my opinion he's just a stupid dick that doesn't know how to drive a car.

as a side-note... The FIA or Bernie or Max aren't to blame. The whole chicane thing was a stupid idea. Just because some tyre-manufacturer can't get a good tyre doesn't mean they have to change the track or the rules. I'm actually siding with Ferrari on the chicane issue... They had everything in order.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Formula One may well have lost any chance of developing a US audience.

That may be unfortunate for some, but it will not ruin F1. The sport has done fine sincce 1950 without a US audience who appreciate NASCAR and TV wrestling.

The point of F1 is to maintain the leading edge technology of car, engine, tire and driver development. The rest is about money.

Sorry - No one was fooled by the Michelin teams' weak attempt at a bluff, and blaming Ferrari and everyone else on the planet doesn't change a thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts