Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
First of all, my apologies for not coming good on my promise to contribute, William, life's been hectic. But I'll make good for next issue, if you want me to.

What I have seen so far of issue 9, looked really good. I haven't had time to actually read the articles yet but I really liked the diversity in topics.

One thing that is missing, perhaps, is something on the FL community - particularly an event. We haven't had many of those yet, I suppose and I guess that was also related to my contribution... But it will be nice to see FLQ developing in that direction - after all, it is FerrarLIFE.

One final, tiny, thing - it's not a problem for me, but two of my photos were used for Vitalone's article. It was a bit of a surprise - maybe a little heads-up next time? Don't worry about it but I just wanted you to know.

Cheers,

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First of all, my apologies for not coming good on my promise to contribute, William, life's been hectic. But I'll make good for next issue, if you want me to.

What I have seen so far of issue 9, looked really good. I haven't had time to actually read the articles yet but I really liked the diversity in topics.

One thing that is missing, perhaps, is something on the FL community - particularly an event. We haven't had many of those yet, I suppose and I guess that was also related to my contribution... But it will be nice to see FLQ developing in that direction - after all, it is FerrarLIFE.

One final, tiny, thing - it's not a problem for me, but two of my photos were used for Vitalone's article. It was a bit of a surprise - maybe a little heads-up next time? Don't worry about it but I just wanted you to know.

Cheers,

Onno
Onno, Thanks for the feedback. I will follow up to find out how the pictures were included. Normally we only use pictures that are either provided by the author or from our photo library.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Very gratifying and excellent authors w/ great passions. Thank you all for all the effort and work to please us all. Jimmy

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hi William (and everyone else),

I really enjoy the layout and overall look of the publication, but one continual issue is punctuation (along with occasional grammar and usage mistakes). I find it impossible to take seriously any publication that isn't properly proofread.

The number one most common error I have seen in anything relating to or stemming from the internet (which includes FLQ) is improper use of apostrophes.

Apostrophes are NOT USED TO PLURALIZE ANYTHING. I can not think of a single exception to this rule, yet people repeatedly use apostrophes in this way. It does not matter if the thing being pluralized ends in a vowel, is a number, name, acronym, etc.; you DO NOT USE AN APOSTROPHE. (This goes for everyone typing on internet forums everywhere!)

Apostrophes are primarily used to show possession and to form contractions (although it is not good form to use contractions in formal publications).

Examples:

The plural of Ferrari is Ferraris. There is no apostrophe.
The plural of 308 is 308s. There is no apostrophe.
The plural of GTBI is GTBIs (or GTBi ---> GTBis). Again, no apostrophe.
The decade from 1970 to 79 is the 1970s. Again, no apostrophe.

In the issues of FLQ I have browsed, I have seen a mix of correct and incorrect usage. The latest issue gets it right through much of the text, but has a glaring error on the cover.

I also see a lot of punctuation errors with commas. They are used or omitted incorrectly in various places to compound sentences and set off clauses (but used correctly many instances, too).

And the period always goes outside of the parentheses, not like on page 16, last full paragraph in the right-hand column.

Page 18 has a space before an exclamation point.

Page 24 -- you always give the full year; it should be "In 1983, Dad decided . . ." and so on.

These are just a few examples. There are ton of little mistakes throughout each issue of FLQ. The design and layout are great, the photography is clear, the stories are warm and interesting, but the proofreading is nonexistent. This is a huge letdown to an otherwise first-rate magazine.

If you can't find a proofreader, may I suggest The Little, Brown Handbook (Longman) as a reference tool. It covers just about everything in the English language (American English, but most differences from British English are in spelling).

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Handbook-Student-Should-About/dp/0205585744/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215611830&sr=8-1

I hope I am not coming across as being too harsh or critical. I have been tempted to say something in the past, but didn't want to be rude. But since you asked, I thought I might try to be helpful.

Best regards,

Tony

About me: I have a B.A. in English with a focus on advanced grammar and varying forms of writing (3.7 GPA), and a M.A. in Communication with a dual concentration on Public Relations and Multimedia Production. I worked as a proofreader and page layout/designer for a short time, but all of this was ten years ago. It has been so long, and I've spent so much time reading other people's undisciplined scratch on the internet that my own skills have deteriorated. I currently work for a publishing company in sales.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi William (and everyone else)...
Tony,

Speaking only for myself (and as one of the contributors to the latest FLQ), I am delighted you have passed comment. I may not be alone in that it is some years since my school days and, if you see something often enough, it is quite easy to begin to question whether you are entirely sure what is actually correct. Not that I ever paid enough attention at school anyway! Actually, that does extend to my copy of MS Word which, when set to a British English dictionary (what is "British English", by the way? There is no such thing!!!), insists that words end in -ise rather than -ize whilst the Oxford English dictionary (and my English teacher) rather sniffily insists that -ize is correct.

I don't know what proofreading is done, but I do note some mistakes in my own text. I don't have my original text to hand but I'm sure they are my own. I suspect the answer is that proofreading requires a practiced eye. I'm sure a volunteer would be warmly welcomed.

Jonathan

·
Registered
6,404 Posts

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Hey Archie, that was a great link!

It's good to know that my English mates after the pub crawl were really going back to their roots and talking Anglo Saxon...

Seriously, the audio clips were fascinating.

Onno
Onno, as the Angles and Saxons came from what is now modern day Germany, Freisland ? and Holland it is no wonder our languages share many similarities. Apparently, the local slang spoken in Norfolk and Suffolk can be understood by people in certain parts of Holland, even if they don't speak English.

Coming from the eastern side of England and being of typical Anglo Saxon height, build, looks and having the Anglo Saxon brow it is no wonder I feel so connected to Holland and love the country so much. I must have Dutch ancestors, maybe we are distant cousins;) If that is the case, would you lend me the 550:D

It is a very interesting website, I stumbled across it a few weeks ago whilst I was looking for something about Saxons and Vikings for my son. We went to the Jorvik Viking Museum in York a few months ago, and he has been fascinated by Romans, Saxons and Vikings since.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Appreciate all the fair, insightful, and balanced feedback. You are right, we missed a few things we should not have. Part of the issue was the rush to get it out ahead of the US July 4th holiday weekend and the major Ferrari events in the UK. We will put both more emphasis on quality control in the next issue (along with trying to recruit a few extra hands to help).

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Didn't know where else to post this. When does the FL Quarterly come out?

Chris

·
Registered
3,874 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Great work - best issue yet!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts