Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I.m trying to find out about Ferrari's on the Autosource web site that have been totaled by the ins. co. and put up for sale at a recuced price. Does anyone know about this company or what major pit falls comes with these Flood cars other than being wet? I posted this on the FCA forum but got no response. If anybody has any knowledge about Flood damage problems or Autosource, please let me know so I won't buy a Ferrari that is more problems that I wanted.
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
those cars aren't totalled if they weren't problem cars. Count on seized engines and a interiour that needs some work. Also the electricals of the car needs to be checked. Count on a lot of work

·
Registered
776 Posts
What Dr. Bob said.

The title will say it is a flood damaged vehicle, but if it was totaled, it would have been scrapped.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'd stay away from flood cars. Any water in the electrics can cause problem for years. It's also much more expensive to track down electrical problems than mechanical.

Be careful. With all of the damage that came with the hurricanes in Florida I'd imagine there'll be a lot of these cars on the market. Some may be sold out of state, resold, in states that don't require these types of things to be stated and then sold as a perfectly "good" car. Always do your homework. Especially on something as expensive as a Ferrari.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Flood Cars

Thanks everyone who responded to this post. I think I will stay away from the Flood Damaged Ferrari, It sounds like too many problems to handle for a backyard mechanic. I will save a little more and buy something better.
Thanks again for the imput

Steve

Capecodder :green:

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I don't know how much you have to spend, but if you are looking for cheaper Ferrari's, look for 308s. The Dino 308 is the least expensive, although a lot of people don't like the looks, after that look for a 308 GTB. If you have any questions at all about buying a Ferrari or anything Ferrari at all, we are pleased to help you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
can you post up a link of the place selling them. if a person were planing on building a street (really fast) car or a race car this would be the perfect thing to do.

in my case i'd be planing on rebuilding the engine anyways with stronger and different internals, and reinforced externals with stronger and different fastners. so why do all that to a perfectly running motor? 1 point for the flood car.

the interior, well look at the stradale (forgive spelling), it could be easily duplicated although not economically duplicated. again why take out a perfectly good interior and replace with lighter seats and different lighter interior panels. 1 more point for the flood car.

and electrical, completely different computer from the one currentely in the car. it would need a fully programable system like one of the new motecs. again perfect electrical system from the factory, why take it out or replace it when you could just take it out and replace it because its damaged and needs to come out as is. another one for the flood car.

body, suspension, and ???monocoque??? or chassys (not sure what you would call it). well theese parts wouldnt get damaged by a flood. not in such a severe way as the motor electrical and interiror would. with either a good wash and tlc or just a new different paintjob with the newly demanded aero equipment to control and stabalize the car at its new potential. well again i come back to the same conclusion, why do all this to a perfectly well running ferrari. and at the same time one would be saving this ferrari from whatever unfortunate fate it may have as a car that no one wants. but me ;).

and if the car were to be bought for about lets say 50-60 percent of the price of the car. that would leave you with about 50-40 percent of the total price of the car if it were new to pay for all the new higher grade equipment. generally what i am talking about takes about 50 or 70 thousand dollars to complete a project of this magnitude to a fair level of multiplied performance and ability of the standard automobile. so basically my point is for about 100-125 percent of the price of the car as standard brand new, or in the case of such high end exotic, even used you will be able to afford a very heavily moddified exotic that stands out and you can almost guarantee no one else has. it will be extremely fast and agile, not much moddification is needed to the suspension of a ferrari when the ouput of the engine is higher, even at the extremes i speak of.

well i guess i just realized how i'm finally going to acquire my ferrari. i finally found a logical way to aproach such extreme project.

Ed-

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Well, in that case you would have a point. Take a look here http://www.readytofix.com, they sell insurance settlement vehicles from theft recovery, floods and storms, collision and vandalism damage. I think there will be more of these companies, but I knew of this one. If you are going to do all those wild things to a Ferrari, we want a full report with pics and text ;)

*edit* http://www.autosource-online.com another link
*edit2* http://www.autoworldofamerica.com, no Ferrari's now, but maybe interesting anyway
*edit3* http://www.kimmotor.com/onlinecatalog.asp?category=Cars&subcategory=all, one 328 for sale with front and rear damage
*edit4* http://www.cleavemotorsalvage.com, no Ferrari, but they have a Jaguar XJ220

Have fun with the search ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts