Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, hello! Looking forward to getting into the Ferrari life forums here.

To start off I am looking at a Ferrari, '82 Mondial 8...would be my first one, and an everyday driver. It is in really good condition, 36k or so miles on it, and redone interior with new paint. All for 25k, is this a good deal or should I keep on looking?

I am an extremely quick learner and pretty technically inclined, so most maintenince would be no problem from the labor view.

Any input is much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Hi Zonar,
I think it sounds like an excellent choice for a first Ferrari and the Modial is a good daily driver. I'd be suspect on the mileage; at 36k the interior shouldn't have needed to be re-done. The speedometer sending unit is a common failure item and the car can go years without the owner having it repaired, or, it is easy to unplug in order to keep the mileage down.

The price is pretty good on this car though, if it has had a recent major service then it is a very good price. I'm pretty certain that on the Mondial you have to remove the engine to change the timing belts. Ferrari parts are more expensive then parts for other cars; but as with all cars it is the labor that chews up most of the repair bill. Even if you didn't feel comfortable changing the timing belts or adjusting the valves, you could save a pile of money just by taking the engine out yourself and bringing it to the shop.

I'm sure everyone on this board (myself included) will recommend you get a pre-purchase inspection done on the car. $300 now can save you thousands later.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hi. Good choice on the Mondial 8 as a starter ferrari, I bought one as my first Ferrari. I loved it.

A main dealer will indeed tell you that the engine has to come out to change the belts, it doesn't on an "8" as the engine is transverse. If you are a compitant diyer then you most likely will be able to do the job yourself.

The off side inner rear wing comes off with either 8 8mm nuts or self tappers. Once off the timing cover is right in front of you. the aircon compressor etc has to be removed but jist of it all is the belts can be done without touching the engine.

Make sure the 2nd and 4th gear synchros work ok when the engine is warm, if the cars cold 2nd should baulk a little.
Check the windows to see how slow they are, if they are working at all that's a good sign as they are notorious for this.

Check to that there is plenty of bills for the car for all the work done over the years, Service histories are fine but loads of bills with dates on them means so much more in my eyes.

Good luck with whatever you buy, you won't regret it. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check to that there is plenty of bills for the car for all the work done over the years, Service histories are fine but loads of bills with dates on them means so much more in my eyes.
Yep, large file with all bills and dates :) Also, I belive the major has been already done for it. The interior was done not for extreme wear and tear, but for an updated look.

The pre-purchase inspection was just what I was looking into right now, I have also included a pic of the car, I am not sure on the advertising rules, so I will not link the yahoo listing for it, but if you would like to see the pics and dealer description, just pm me, or tell me if it is ok...:p

Thanks for the input!

Disclamer: The pics are NOT mine and in no way do I claim that I own this car or the pics!!! :p

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Car looks great. I'd give this car some serious consideration at the asking price.

Enz9_1 has a good point about the second gear thing. They all shift hard into 2nd when cold. I switched to redline synthetic gear oil on my car and that pretty much took care of the problem.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Excellent, My first Mondial was black to. Only mine had a tan interior. It looks to be in very good condition. As said above my only concern would be why the interior was redone. From veiwing the pic it looks like a retrim rather than an update. If the dealer allows you to and to put your mind at rest have a look through the bills and see who did the job then give them a ring to see if they can explain why it was done. Or better yet contact the last owner.
Check the carpet in the drivers footwell along with the pedal rubbers for wear, that's usually a good indicator of how much use a cars had.. Make sure there is plenty of tread on the Michilen tyres, they are unique to the Mondial, 308 and BMW 6 series, I know over here in the UK they are £300 each and a getting hard to buy.
My car had 12,00 miles on it when I bought it and the only problems it ever gave me were a dry fuse for the fuel pump, very slow windows and cold start censor packing up.
You could be on to a good car but sit down at the dealers and have a good look at the bills and add them up to see how much has been spent on it over the years. That's a really good indicator.
Anything else your not sure about please do ask before you buy it, I had a lot of help when I bought mine and it was excellent.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts