Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just joined the forum. Like for most others, Ferrari ownership always seemed an unattainable dream....but no longer. In a few months I'll begin my search for an F355 GTS or Berlinetta (non-F1). I'm never one to jump into something without knowing what I'm doing, so I've scoured the internet (and this site) for info and background on this model and Ferrari ownership in general. I've read several of the buyer's guides and have been lurking here for a couple of weeks. I originally set my sights on a 308, then a 328. But the F355 I think will be worth the greater expense. Eventually I'd really like to lay my hands on a 512BBi - to keep the 355 company.

I come from Porsche world. I have a 928 and a 911 and I absolutely love them both. Most of the guys on the Porsche forums appreciate Ferraris as well, but there seems to be a rivalry going on. I've seen similar posts here as well. After I own a Ferrari for a while I'll draw my own conclusions, but I suspect that each marque is worthy of great respect and admiration by the other.

So, over the next few months I'll probably be asking a few questions now and then as my search begins. Here's one to start me off -- what does the "F" mean when it precedes a model number (e.g., F40, F50, F355, F430)?

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Hi Dave,
Welcome. I have always liked the 928 (esp. the S4)!
As far as I know, the "F" merely stands for Ferrari. This is a newer nomenclature practice.
Looking forward to ongoing details of your 355 search. 8)

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Dave, Welcome to Ferrari Life. You trip into Ferrari Ownership sounds very familiar. I had a 911 (993) before moving to a F355 GTS and then about a year later adding the 512 BB. All three are great cars but have very different personalities. The 911 is an engineering masterpiece and the F355 quick, agile, and full of personality. The Boxer is again something completely different. It is raw, brutally powerful, and has a road presence all its own. It requires much more of the driver than the other two. Porsche ownership appeals to the rationale side of the mind, Ferraris are a much more involving emotional experience (and exteremly hard to rationalize but I do keep trying).
Welcome again and please asking away.
Cheers.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
The F stands for Ferrari, atleast that's what everybody says, I don't think anybody from the factory actually confirmed it. It is just part of the name.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. What's the consensus on joining FOC? I'd like to get Pilota but is the club worthwhile?

Also, what are the best F-car magazines out there?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I believe if you join the FCA (Ferrari Club of America) you are automatically a member of your local chapter. Joining the club is a good thing. You get newsletters and periodicals keeping you informed on local and national events, Tech. info, and just good stories to read. There a few good Ferrari mags, usually found at Barns & Noble around here. I'm sure other stores may carry them too. Good luck on your search, I hope you decide to get your Ferrari sooner that later. Thats just more time you'll have to enjoy the experiance and pleasure of ownership. Its truely like owning no other. I advise buying from a "reputable" dealer if possible. If buying from a private party (which I did), besure to have a proper PPI done by an actual Ferrari mechanic or dealership. If the owner or a dealership (other that an actual Ferrari Dealer) has a problem with that, proceed with caution, or better yet, look elswere. There is probably a good reason for them not wanting you to do this. It may just not be obvious. And you will hear all kinds of excuses why they can't let you. Just walk away. It may take some time, but you will find what your looking for. Enjoy your search!

Cheers!

Kurt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts