Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie, very newbie. Always loved Ferrari's first one I remember was watching Magnum PI as a kid then Miami Vice. I'm starting my search for one, finally. I've read several articles on affordably owning a ferrari. Most suggest purchasing an older model 10-15 years old maybe even 20. 308's, 328's, 348's(later models), mondials...well I like them all. I've even tossed the 355 in that mix cause I know I can get an early model 355 for about the same price as a late model 348. Well my question is, going along the lines of the "affordable" Ferrari ownership. Which model does everyone think would be a great starter Ferrari overall. I know that's a wide price range I've thrown together. Let's just say up to 60k purchase price. I'm thinking a daily driver mostly, to and from work maybe 20 miles a day, not always. How outrageous would insurance be, etc. Just trying to get an idea of whether or not I need to get a second job to support the habit!(already have race horses and plan an using that line of thought with the wife... "No really honey, just consider it another Stallion, Look at the emblem!") :green:

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I think the 328 is the one for you. It has the Magnum P.I. look and the best power and reliability of the 3x8 series. Instantly recognizable. Excellent first Ferrari. It won't go down in value if you keep the car clean. Plan on about $500/year on maintenance.

I have the 308 because I absolutely had to have the four 2-bbl carbs. (and at the time I didn't have the cash for a 328 and didn't know enough about Ferraris to realize that its a way better car.)

And for insurance, I recommend American Collectors. It has some restrictions:
Car must be at least 15 years old.
It can't be your primary means of transportation (you have to have one "regular" car for every driver in the house)
It must be garage kept.
You can't put more than 2,500 miles per year on it.

None of those restrictions was a problem for me and I pay $220 per year on agreed value coverage of $27,000.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coolio, that would work!
Anyone think a 355 would make a good first Ferrari? May be a bit outside my price range though! :lol:
My buddies father had a 355 berlinette f1, never got to drive it though :cry:

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
If the 355 is "a bit out of your price range" then no. It would not make a good first Ferrari. It will suck you dry.

Gather all the cash that you can afford to throw away on a toy and spend 2/3's of that on a Ferrari. That is what you can afford.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess what I want to know next is which model would be considered the most reliable/least maintenance problems?
I read something about the 328 being considered the most reliable, is that true? :wink:

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
WhereZat said:
I guess what I want to know next is which model would be considered the most reliable/least maintenance problems?
I read something about the 328 being considered the most reliable, is that true? :wink:
Welcome to Ferrari Forum. Best of luck in your search for a Ferrari, I hope we can help.

Yes, the 328 is very solid. Ferrari basically took the 308 which was already a hell of a solid car and upgraded its engine giving it 270 bhp versus 240 bhp.

The F355 is a great first Ferrari but it will cost more to maintain than the 328 because it is harder to work on and more labor is envolved. For a 328 plan an anual budge of $1,500 for maintance and sack away $3,000 for any unforseen repairs that might come up. I would also recommend checking out the most recent Buyer's Guide which covers the 328 and when you join you will get all the info on the F355 and 308. I suggest staying away from a 348 TB/TS and only consider the Spider.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Kimi said:
What about a 550 as a first Ferrari ?
that´s above my dreams!

my dream is to buy a 355 as my first Ferrari (maybe in 20 years I´ll do it)

Andrew, why don´t you recommend the 348 TB/TS???

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
WhereZat said:
Per Andrew's comments, the 328 is a one of the most reliable Ferraris. Over a 3-4 year period, your maintenance costs will probably be about 50%-70% of what a F355 will run.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
howdy WhereZat, and welcome!

IMHO the silver 308 GTB in your avatar would be too awesome as a first Ferrari!
Damn, I just love silver... and carbs 8)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jungathart, a dirt road in texas?
I thought all of us in tx who lived outside city limits lived on dirt roads??? :green: :lol:

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
yup, it's either "Big D" or it's dirt 8)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts