Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in many posting about someone having a fire extinguisher on board. Even in judging the fire extinguisher is OK even if it is not original. Can someone please tell me why I should have a fire extinguisher on board? Is fire in the engine compartment that big of a danger?

:question:

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
eeuuuhhmmm
How about it's required by law and insurrance over here.

It's just for safety if your car starts to burn, or somebody else his car, then you can try to control it a bit while the firetruck is on it's way.
OK granted you can try to control it for about 10 seconds, but it's better then nothing

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have one in my car, mounted right beside me. Its not a requirement where I live, but its always necessary, just in case, like the situation described by Dirk.

I made a batch of aluminum mounts for a few Ferrari friends down in Seattle. I made them to the first design on the following webpage (except the ones I made were out of one piece of 3/16" thick aluminum plate):

http://www.tradetutor.com/raceprep/

If anyone is interested, please send me an email

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If my car starts to burn, I will let it burn. Me, I am no fireman. First thing to do in a fire is to get out oif the car. After the fire, my insurance agant will have to handle it.

:green:

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Ferraris are what one might call a high risk car regarding fire, lol, possibly the understatement of the century. They're right there next to lambos. The newer cars are a lot better than the older ones, but you still see enough burned 360s online to think about putting an extinguisher in the car. I carry a full size ABC in my jeep, in the 308 I have a 2/3 size ABC in the trunk (whatever you call that compartment under the rear bonnet, behind the engine). The trunk isn't as good as inside, but I'll take my chances that I can get to it rather than have to deal with it in the driver's compartment all the time. btw, I was a firefighter, well on rescue actually, for about 5 years. You could no longer pay me to not carry a fire extinguisher. Come to think of it, I actually watched a Ferrari burn to the ground once in someone's driveway. We got there in a reasonable amount of time, but the mag wheels went up and you aint gonna put them out, just let them burn and try to keep the rest of the car from going up which is near impossible. And no, in real life cars don't blow up like they do in the movies, or at least I have never heard of anyone around me doing so and there have been enough car fires that if it happened that much it would have happened at least once around here. Wow, too long of a story, sorry guys. I would throw a small estinguisher in the trunk of the 550, you have so much storage room anyways (relatively) and it would be away from the normal sources of fire so you could get it easily.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Like Bret, I too carry an ABC extinguisher in all my vehicles. You see some smoke coming out from underneath the hood, pop the lid and put out the fire. $40 for a new distributor cap and plug wires (on a Mercury I used to have. Fuel line ruptured and hosed down the distributor). Without an extinguisher the whole car goes up. Seen that happen. If the car is in your garage when this happens????????. I also have extinguishers in the garage. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Screw the extinguisher--just get a push button fire system and external kill switch a la competizione 8)

I DO keep a small fire extinguisher in the 456 too, just in case.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
I find it very interesting to hear that in the US a fire extinguisher isn't obligated.
That ABC that you guys are talking about is that a brand or something :question:

Over here you HAVE to have one by law, insurrance and some more stuff.
Here in Belgium when you have a car older then 3 years you have to have it checked by auto check place (don't really know the english word for it :-? ) besides your garage for maintenance, and they also check if you have a fire extinguisher in the car and if it's still OK to use

·
Registered
286 Posts
You know you guys are right. With all the other laws we have in the U.S. I'm suprised the Insurance companies haven't lobbied congress to pass that one, they holler about everything else. It sure would be to there benefit.

·
Registered
454 Posts
My dad's '76 911 caught on fire about two months ago. Total loss. I feel horrible for him, he's had that car since 1977. Now, I do carry a pretty large extinguisher. It's not bolted or anything fancy like that; just easily accessible on the passenger side floor. Just in case...

Forza,

Dane

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
You get those idiot yuppie like Americans though that have absolutely no hands on common sense in the city like areas, it might cost the insurance companies more in health insurance claims with them trying to put out their car fire. It definitely would be a big boost financially to the fire extinguisher business to say the least though.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
what do you mean with health insurance claims??
you can't do anything wrong with using an fire extinguisher.
And it would defenitly boost the sales, cuz fire extinguisher have an experation date

·
Registered
575 Posts
Dirk, those ABC extinguishers use a dry-chemical. Whatever it is, I've used them at work and the fumes burn my throat. I just shrug the feeling off and go on with my business, but most sissy people would run to the hospital... And as Bret says, alot of people don't know how to handle themselves when a fire is burning, they panic and could end up hurting themselves.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
ooh yeah, and for some reason it is in america very popular to get a layer and sue everybody for the most silly things and try and get as most money as possible :x

1 - 18 of 18 Posts