Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is to those on this forum that have at least one ferrari. The question for you is what do you do for money that enables you to enjoy the finer things in life such as having a Ferrari. Are a lot of people that have Ferrari's in business for themselves or do they have certain professions. Thanks for reading and feel free to reply.

Christopher

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Hi Christopher and welcome. I think you'll find that Ferrari owners come from all walks of life. Members here range from police officers and service technicians to doctors and corporate executives. I don't think that you'll find any member here who feels that Ferrari ownership is an unattainable goal. I think you'll find that most of the owners would say, "Hey, if I can do it anyone can." Work hard, manage your money wisely and be patient. It will come.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Hi Christopher and welcome. I think you'll find that Ferrari owners come from all walks of life. Members here range from police officers and service technicians to doctors and corporate executives. I don't think that you'll find any member here who feels that Ferrari ownership is an unattainable goal. I think you'll find that most of the owners would say, "Hey, if I can do it anyone can." Work hard, manage your money wisely and be patient. It will come.
Who is the police officer....I never speed....*COUGH**COUGH* excuse me. Those are great words of encouragement Pete...and a good quote:)

Chris

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Pete has pretty much said it all. If I may add a comment, owning F cars' a prviledge, and those to be owners have dreams, which is a wonderful thing to have. To be owners have something to look forward to. Jimmy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys everyone! Pete when you said manage your money wisely it made me think about something. Would it be wise money managment to save up to buy a Ferrari without having to take out a loan for it? To delay the gratification until one can buy a Ferrari with cash. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Christopher

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Thanks for the replys everyone! Pete when you said manage your money wisely it made me think about something. Would it be wise money managment to save up to buy a Ferrari without having to take out a loan for it? To delay the gratification until one can buy a Ferrari with cash. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Christopher
Well as many people have asked on this site, it is usually Petes reply to that Ferraris are a luxury and not a necessity (Totally agree with him). It would be better to purchase the car if you have the money and don't rely on a payment. From my experience of reading on this forum you should have enough money put away to cover emergency repairs, which can be pretty costly. (Not from personal experience, just a ton of reading). Just out of curiosity, what model(s) are you considering?

Chris

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
While I agree that proffesion has nothing to do with ownership, the original question poses an interesting concept. It would seem logical that many of us truely appreciate mechanical things. We probably all had erector sets, legos, lincoln logs, or other building and structure type toys. I would also presume we all have some affinity for at least one of the emotional arts. Whether that be drawing/painting, music, or sculpture makes no matter. As I see it, Ferrari is an extention of those 2 prefices. If we only liked mechanical things, we'd want American Muscle cars. If we only liked the arts, Bentleys and RR would rule.

Rather than asking for proffesion we should ask "what is our commonality of interests?" As stated by Chris (rather eloquently, I might add) "It is the passion that Ferrari instills in people that makes it such a desire".

Hmmm....I just used Chris and eloquent in the same sentence. And you thought Tasers were a shock to the system

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
While I agree that proffesion has nothing to do with ownership, the original question poses an interesting concept. It would seem logical that many of us truely appreciate mechanical things. We probably all had erector sets, legos, lincoln logs, or other building and structure type toys. I would also presume we all have some affinity for at least one of the emotional arts. Whether that be drawing/painting, music, or sculpture makes no matter. As I see it, Ferrari is an extention of those 2 prefices. If we only liked mechanical things, we'd want American Muscle cars. If we only liked the arts, Bentleys and RR would rule.

Rather than asking for proffesion we should ask "what is our commonality of interests?" As stated by Chris (rather eloquently, I might add) "It is the passion that Ferrari instills in people that makes it such a desire".

Hmmm....I just used Chris and eloquent in the same sentence. And you thought Tasers were a shock to the system
Wow....eloquent....and me....in the same sentence....I can.....no longer speak....:eek: It is amazing I came up with that quote.:) I definitely agree with you Lane, Ferraris are definitely an art rather than just mechanical things, although they do encompass the mechanical aspect quite well. This may be the reason why I like exotics so much, because I am a avid trumpet player, and guitarist (not as much guitar as trumpet). I have always loved the arts...not so much drawing or painting, but music. I also have quite a knack for mechanical things. Ever since I received my first screw driver (rather took my dad's at a very young age:D) I have taken everything apart. If the object was put together with screws it has been taken apart. My mom was furious when I pulled up in my Firebird on day 1 and had the hood open with a screwdriver in hand:D This must be on of the basis' for me liking Ferraris so much.

Chris

·
Registered
2,884 Posts

Very interesting argument, Mr. Bastage!

I'm a Mechanical Engineer and guitar player, so I guess I fit in pretty well, just need a bit of time to get the Ferrari

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Saint that is very very interesting, I loved Lego's as a kid had tonnes but never built the sets I bought I put them all together and create my own amazing designs.

This in turn helped me when I started with tools and building things and in turn to my art works and then finally to my designing and concepts of now.

Oh and I play the drums.....Rock on...

And yes I am making the international sign of the devil...:eek:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Mostly Agree......

Love mechanical things. I have taken thousands of things apart. A couple of dozen have actually got put back together again. I am pretty certain that a few worked properly.

I never thought about the art thing as a scientist but do play guitar ( a hack but it is only R&R ) and am into photography.

Very neat insights indeed.

Greg

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Hey, more guitar players here! The worst thing about my job in the jungle is that I have to leave my gorgeous guitars behind for months on end (I have 12 but am not finished yet...). Actually, that is the second worst, I leave behind my Ferraris as well...

Regarding saving up - if I were to buy my first Ferrari from a regular income (not a stock or inheritance windfall, the first being unlikely now anyway), at the very least I would make sure that:

1. I can pay for more than 50% of the car.
2. I have an additional $10 - 15k in an account set aside for the Ferrari.
3. I will not have to change my life style to afford the monthly payments, ie. I don't have to sacrifice holidays and such for it.

As an example: I bought my 550 with all the money I had. That was uncomfortable for me, so I took out a 2-year loan for 20% of the value so I had room to act if anything happened. I'm not really noticing the monthly payment and so I am very happy with my decision to do that 18 months ago.

Mind you, in this credit crunch you will have a much harder time securing loans anyway.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey Chris,

Pete's right.....I am a police officer, and I own a 1980 308GTSI!!

I also "own" a wife and two teenage children....if I can manage to buy a Ferrari anyone can. You have to really want it BAD and do alot of extra work on the side.....it also helps to be a bit selfish and a good liar!

As for the speeding......hmmm.....never had it over 55!

Take Care

Frank

·
Registered
181 Posts
It is mind over matter

To answer the initial question of this post - well my spouse and I are both University educated. We are not board directors or anything - achieved low level management. Careful with the finances. In our case only borrowing for the house and very early on a car.
WE are not extravagant. The Ferrari was a dream that I dared not wish for. However, relative to many toys that people have - they are achievable if it is what you want.

In short, I fully endorse the statement that if I can do it, anyone can. I believe that someone wrote when I joined that it is patience, perseverance and dedication that will achieve this goal - as well as being able to part with the $.

Greg
This message approved by the " Everyone should own a Ferrari Party of SW Ontario".

PS to all the guitar players in this thread - This one goes to ELEVEN.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Pete's right.....I am a police officer, and I own a 1980 308GTSI!!

You have to really want it BAD and do a lot of extra work on the side.....it also helps to be a bit selfish and a good liar!
Hey Frank…..With a statement like that it sounds like you’re on the take….hahaha!!!!! Just kidding…

As for the speeding......hmmm.....never had it over 55!
Now you’re lying….hehehehehe!!!!!!!

Bastage is right… I also loved building stuff with my Lego’s, Mecano set and taking stuff apart like my parents first VCR in the early 80’s (won’t get into that painful story).

Christopher, Im an average guy with a good job that took me 10 years to get where I wanted to be, but…with hard work. There are tons of people who can afford a Ferrari with regular jobs. You can see them everywhere, driving Mercedes, BMW’s, large SUV’s, others pulling big boats or camping trailers or having huge homes, doing 3-4 trips a year, having museum houses etc…

The difference is those people have different priorities. I could have bought one 3 years ago and every year after that but had two unexpected priorities and a large renovation due to it making it 3 priorities that came first over the purchase of the 348. Now, im considering a career change and, a huge life changing decision that will either make me or break me and leave me out to dry in the streets. But these are things than one has to ask themselves, what do I want, what do I need to do to get it and what will be the benefits. If your benefits are a Ferrari, then what do you need to get or do to accomplish that? only you know the answer to that question. If you have children like most of us here or plan to, then that’s another life changing situation you need to consider.

I believe there are two kinds of people, those who dream and those who work to make those dreams come true so the last question is which group do you want to be part of……

Mario

~

·
Registered
50 Posts
Magnum,

I totally agree with your thoughts...make it happen, stop dreaming about!!

As for lying....everyone knows that cops never lie......

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
This message approved by the " Everyone should own a Ferrari Party of SW Ontario".

PS to all the guitar players in this thread - This one goes to ELEVEN.
Hear me out before you comment, but I thank the Heavenly One that not everyone owns a Ferrari. The way I see it, they should be attainable for the truly dedicated without heaps of money and I believe that is the situation we're in. People with a median income can afford a Ferrari, e.g. a 308, if they really want it. And that is fantastic. But I wouldn't support the "Everyone should own a Ferrari" party because it would, by definition, not be the car that we long for anymore. It needs to keep the "kids-screaming-It's-a-Ferrrrarrrriiii!!!!!" mystique. If Joe Bloggs starts mounting a gun rack on one, it's not quite the same...

And on that kids screaming comment - the kids follow me wherever I drive in my village, trying to keep up on their little pushbikes. It's great. And the amazing thing? They did the same when I rocked up in the 34-year old Boxer, as they did in the 7 year-old Maranello... It's all in the mystique.

As for the 'goes to ELEVEN' comment - I hear you, brother, I hear you. Well, I would, if not for the ringing in my ears... :D But maybe that's due to the Tubi - who can say? :)

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I just reviewed and realized I never confirmed...Yup...I play guitar as well. (I mean not well, but also..Ahh, you know what I mean) Looks like we found some real commonality.

So, just what is it about Guitars and Ferrari....

Any classical guitarists or do we all just love torquing up the gain and slamming. Instant juice, just like a tubi in a tunnel.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts