Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three Ferrari that i am interested in 328, 355, & 360.
Forum members please advice me on general yearly cost to maintain each model. Im just trying to determine which model is best suited for me or should i say am willing to pay for.
I purchased the Ferrari 328 buyer's guild & was not impressed. The determining factor for me on which model to buy is not going to be the cost of the car, but the reliability & maintenance cost.
Ferrari owners please advice a future owner.

Thank You!

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I owned a 328 for 2 years, during that time it cost me £500 in servicing at an independent. The only things that needed fixing during that time were a small oil leak from the gearbox and the rear off-side diff baring was starting to wear (the diff baring was repaired by the dealer under warranty, but it would not have been a major expense had I paid for it myself).
I can only speak from my own experience and from what people told me when I was looking for a Ferrari, but late 328's are regarded as one of the most reliable and cheapest to maintain Ferrari's. Before you buy, it is essential that you get a PPI done and walk away from any car that will need money spending on it or looks like it has not been properly maintained. It is worth paying a fraction more for the knowledge you have got a properly cared for car. If possible buy from an independent dealer who has a good reputation for customer service as they will generally fix issues under warranty if they happen within the first 3-6 months.
If you arent sure who the independents are in your area, just ask away. There is bound to be someone on here who knows about them.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
---- Im just trying to determine which model is best suited for me or should I say am willing to pay for. ---
You are the only one who can honestly answer this question.

I say that if you are buying the car based upon maintenance costs you are making a poor evaluation.

You need to be fully realistic as to what you can afford as well as the reasons for the purchase.

Each of the models you mentioned has quirks and you best know what those are before you leap.

If you don't have passion for the cars, it will not be a good experience.

As to reliability the 360 will prove to be more reliable but that does not equate to maintenance costs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You are the only one who can honestly answer this question.

I say that if you are buying the car based upon maintenance costs you are making a poor evaluation.
Really i thought that would be a key factor. (No disrespect)

I have a passion for warbirds such as the P-51 Mustang , but i don't own one.

It's great to have a passion for cars & i do have a passion for Ferrari, but that does not equate to which Ferrari model would be a good starter car for a first time buyer. I would rather ask these questions to Ferrari owners & be an informed buyer.

Thank You for your opinion.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
---I would rather ask these questions to Ferrari owners & be an informed buyer.---
And I gave you that as a Ferrari owner.

Not trying todiscourage you. Just trying to present a fair analysis that maintenance can be a major factor in a purchase decision.

Forget the P-51. The gas cost is outrageous! Have a close personal friend with one. He flew it to Cincinnati and back to Calif and used $6,000.00 of gas!

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Couple of comments:

- 1st buy on which car you prefer to drive, owning a Ferrari is a luxury and therefore should be based on which model will give you maximum enjoyment. The 360 and 328 are very different driving experience with the F355 being closer to a 360.

- you need to look at maintenance costs over a 3-5 year period. Condition of the car you buy will have a large influence on this. A 360 will be most expensive on a 1 year basis but the F355 will cost more over a 3-5 year run due to the engine out cambelt change.

- personal perception on reliability ranking would be 360 #1, 328 #2, and F355 #3

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Couple of comments:

- 1st buy on which car you prefer to drive, owning a Ferrari is a luxury and therefore should be based on which model will give you maximum enjoyment. The 360 and 328 are very different driving experience with the F355 being closer to a 360.

- you need to look at maintenance costs over a 3-5 year period. Condition of the car you buy will have a large influence on this. A 360 will be most expensive on a 1 year basis but the F355 will cost more over a 3-5 year run due to the engine out cambelt change.

- personal perception on reliability ranking would be 360 #1, 328 #2, and F355 #3

My 2 cents.
Boxer, that's worth a dollar !!! w/ smiles Jimmy

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Couple of comments:

My 2 cents.
I appreciate your honest straightforward advice. Coming from a person that has owned several Ferraris i trust your judgement.
Your right i need to drive the 328 & the 360 to see which one gives me maximum enjoyment. What more could be more important. Even though the 360 is more costly i could sell some of my other toys to make up the difference.
It's expensive maintaining my 2 vettes, street rod, & 2 custom bikes. I don't have a problem selling some of those to fulfill a dream.

Thanks Much!

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
I appreciate your honest straightforward advice. Coming from a person that has owned several Ferraris i trust your judgement.
Your right i need to drive the 328 & the 360 to see which one gives me maximum enjoyment. What more could be more important. Even though the 360 is more costly i could sell some of my other toys to make up the difference.
It's expensive maintaining my 2 vettes, street rod, & 2 custom bikes. I don't have a problem selling some of those to fulfill a dream.

Thanks Much!
My pleasure and good luck with the hunt.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Three Ferrari that i am interested in 328, 355, & 360.
Forum members please advice me on general yearly cost to maintain each model. Im just trying to determine which model is best suited for me or should i say am willing to pay for.
I purchased the Ferrari 328 buyer's guild & was not impressed. The determining factor for me on which model to buy is not going to be the cost of the car, but the reliability & maintenance cost.
Ferrari owners please advice a future owner.

Thank You!

can't speak from first hand experience on them all, but on the 355 I can offer some insight, firsthand.

348/355 engine is one of Ferrari's most, without a doubt, expensive engines to maintain on a regular basis. GOOD engines, but they require an engine out maintenance. I KNOW many will state you can do it in situ, but honestly, if stretching that belt and such was qualified, then it would be done all the itme. The tensioner bearings and water pump are problems and in the latter require an engine out, so I replace mine REGARDLESS of good/bad pump as it's too costly to mess with it again.

Exhaust manifolds if not already replaced on the 355 will definetlly need replacement and that's expensive.

A lot of people like messin with the cats or doing straight-throughs on the 355, so expect a story of two there...expensive again.

The gears are great on the 355, but will need careful inspection from a qualified person who KNOWS that box...not a typical un-informed person.

Interior on the 355 will probably need addressing.

I was all hot for the 355 even AFTER I acquired it's younger brother....348 engine-type....BUT, have resigned myself to skip it all-together.

I would opt for the 360: BUT, in this car, I am not very attracted to the looks...sorry, it's getting more the Ferrari Porsche look...BUT, must admit, I would take one in a heart beat if offered at the correct price.

LOVE THE 12 cylinders now and guess what, that is what we are going to be only shopping for in the future.....Ferrari does a wonderful job in this engine....

3x8 older series are they are good engines, low in power---you'll not like them as much and want to boost them, but the LOOKS !!!!! --- there will be more periodic 'stuff' in the older models, but.....it the LOOKS...again...

sigh, so many nice things, so little $$$

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Rik is dead-on with the 355 overview.

Valve guides are another 355 gotcha.

Great car but be prepared for some maintenance at times.

360 is a honey of a car and easy to maintain and work on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts