Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1982 308 GTSi Ferrari and the chrome on the wheel bolts is poor. The bolts are not really consistent in length which indicates to me that they have been trimmed down from longer bolts. Does someone have a chart of proper lengths for Ferrari wheel bolts? I can easily determine what length they can be with a depth guage but it would be nice to know what they should be. I do know the fronts are longer than the rears but is this typical of Ferrari?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wheel Bolts

Hill Engineering does offer a more reasonable bolt that you can cut to your own length so I'm back to the original question. What are the correct lengths? Is there a chart somewhere that list Ferrari bolt sizes/lengths?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Gadgetman said:
Hill Engineering does offer a more reasonable bolt that you can cut to your own length so I'm back to the original question. What are the correct lengths? Is there a chart somewhere that list Ferrari bolt sizes/lengths?
I don't know of one, and in answer to your first question about longer bolts on the front and shorter on the rear - NO they should all be the same...Personally, if the longest bolt fits, then order a complete set 0f 20 of those because the longer the thread length you have the better - IMHO

Argento

·
Registered
187 Posts
Argento said:
I don't know of one, and in answer to your first question about longer bolts on the front and shorter on the rear - NO they should all be the same...Personally, if the longest bolt fits, then order a complete set 0f 20 of those because the longer the thread length you have the better - IMHO

Argento
I have to disagree on all bolt lengths being the same. On my 78 308, if you install the front bolts to the rear hubs they will lock the wheel up due to interference with the brake caliper.
I HAVE to run shorter bolts in the rear.

It is also important and crucial to make sure you don't have threads extending into the bearing surface of the bolt hole in the wheel. Only the bolt shoulder should contact the inside of the hole in the wheel.

I went the cheap route and bought the less expensive set of bolts that I had to cut to length and rethread. It took many hours and in the long run the effort and time it took was NOT worth what I saved in purchase price. The chrome finish on the less expensive bolts wasn't that good either.

Bite the bullet and buy the proper bolt. It will not only look better but it will be safer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts