Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ferrari has basically come out and said that the California will be the last Ferrari offered with the traditonal 6 speed gated manual transmission as an option. Personally I think this is a big mistake as clanking the metal stick through the gate is a core part of the Ferrari experience.

What does the community think ?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Short of a dedicated race car, I would go for manual every time. Those Ferraris that have the open gate shift make the manual an even more compelling choice. Part of the huge thrill of driving is heel and toeing and clacking down through the box through the twisties.

·
Registered
332 Posts
...Personally I think this is a big mistake as clanking the metal stick through the gate is a core part of the Ferrari experience...
At the end of day Ferrari is a business. Whenever this question gets asked you get people saying 'I really like the metal gate...'. But at the end of the day they aren't voting that way with their wallets. We are continuously told that the UK is one of the prime markets for manuals. Well, I don't yet have the sales figures for 2008 but for 2007 less than 6% of F430 Berlinettas sold in the UK were manuals and under 5% of F430 Spiders. No manual 612s were sold in the UK in 2007 and only one manual 599 (and I'm told by someone who drove it that it was horrible with a manual).

So, hardly anyone is buying a manual when given the choice. You might then reasonably also ask, how many of those who did buy manuals would have bought an F1 if they had no option. All Scuderia buyers go with F1s because they have no option. 599s and 612s are no longer available with a manual transmission.

Ultimately, it may be a shame, but it seems to me the demand simply isn't there so it cannot make economic sense for Ferrari to continue making manuals.

Jonathan

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Well then, it looks like my only option in the future is pre-California. Unfortunately the Ferrari experience doesn't seem to be finding its way to the people purchasing the new F cars. It is most definitely a shame, and I don't like it. I think they should still offer the option.

Chris

·
Registered
81 Posts
To me this is where Ferrari finally once and for all SELLS OUT. Let me explain. I have driven both types of transmissions, and feel that you really lose some of the EXPERIENCE with the F1. I am a car guy, have been forever and have owned several hundred cars. When I bought my 355 I would not have anything to do with the F1. It seems to me that the F1 is popular with all these rich young things who have come into easy money and can't drive a stick shift! But their main reason for buying the Ferrari is to attract women. Historically Ferrari has been geared to people who love technology, engineering, and the driving experience. Now they are gearing the business to the 25 year old software engineer who did not get his license until he was 20 because he had never been on a date!

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Seems like Fiat Ferrari is no different from others now that decisions are based on corporate logic, not personal eccentric values. Can't wait to see a mini Ferrari just like Mercedes' A model. w/ smiles Jimmy

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
At the end of day Ferrari is a business. Whenever this question gets asked you get people saying 'I really like the metal gate...'. But at the end of the day they aren't voting that way with their wallets.
Very well said. If owners where buying more 6 speed manuals then Ferrari would keep them around.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Yup, all the above have truth.

1. Ferrari is a business and go the way of the market.
2. the market is saying the F1 is more in demand, if not the Auto equiv. for the four-seaters.
3. It is a sellout, but was slowly making its way in the wave of 1&2
4. I like the stick but would I trade the Mondial T for a Valeo: Yes. Then again, I specifally wanted the older 456 GT for the front reverse scoops, the rear-bling air foil, thingie, and the 6-speed....NO AUTO.
5. I probably would opt for a F1 at some point, but only when they approach the price of very low price.

The F1 needs a proper learning curve to use properly or it can be harmed.

Standard: bullet proof with the sometime exception of a loose nut here and there due to improper/changed factory installations. Slapping them through the almost effortless gate is fun.

I've said it before, and I hope to be in the game for this but the front, 12 cylinder standard models are darn down in price. It's getting to the point that with a good mechanic and some DIY in there, the bargains found in these beautiful Pininfarina'n models, will be the new, Lussos of the future. Why.
no more 12 will be made without DFI
no more with standard gates,
no more with Pininfarina hey-day designs, and
most importantly: NONE, after the 456 with Enzo's direct touch.

they will be worth, what, the lousy 40-55k being touted now?!

Yup, gas problems or whatnot, they will be highly regarded and sought.

geesch, I'd pick them up while one could, get the parts, which are scattering about and getting remade as we speak [thinking Hill bearings etc.] and sort it out for the next few years to come.

·
Registered
374 Posts
shame

·
Registered
300 Posts
It seems to me that the F1 is popular with all these rich young things who have come into easy money and can't drive a stick shift! But their main reason for buying the Ferrari is to attract women.
Ok chill out a little, i have a F1 the reason i have a F1 transmission is that not everybody have the luxury to drive in long country roads and i love driving the stick and quiet good at it as well so lets not say everything is a must or the rich thing nothing to do with rich or money, we have lots of traffic here thats why it makes more sence when buying the F1, i do think Ferrari should give people the option to choose the stick, as you were saying about F1 Ferrari drivers attracting women bla bla bla what are you talking about? women don't give a damn if is a stick or F1. Ferrari is a Ferrari end of conversation!!

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very well said. If owners where buying more 6 speed manuals then Ferrari would keep them around.
Very true. What is interesting though is that with recent models like the 360 on which the vast majority were fitted with the F1, 6 speed manuals do command a slight premium in the market. 20 years from now, I believe it will be even more significant.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Speaking about 20 years from now - if you want a change of career, learn to program the modern Ferrari electronics for the F1 gearbox. You'll be raking it in a decade or two from now. Literally NO-ONE will know how to deal with this technology when it fails. How many people can still program a Commodore 64?

As for manuals - I think it's a shame they are disappearing but it's not a surprise. I find it especially strange that people want one on GT's - they are much more enjoyable with a 6-stick. But I suspect it's all down to traffic jams - modern man's left thigh will wither away in future years! Thankfully I have my Boxer to keep me in shape. :)

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Very true. What is interesting though is that with recent models like the 360 on which the vast majority were fitted with the F1, 6 speed manuals do command a slight premium in the market. 20 years from now, I believe it will be even more significant.
Agreed-look what happened to the 400. 90% or more were sold with automatic box (yup most buyers of the 400 preferred the GM 3 speed auto to the manual 5 speed) and now the manual commands a premium over the auto. It seems the autos cannot be given away-I see Ferrari Centre has a nice looking 400i auto for GBP5,995!

As an aside I think a manual 400 would be a lovely GT.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Speaking about 20 years from now - if you want a change of career, learn to program the modern Ferrari electronics for the F1 gearbox. You'll be raking it in a decade or two from now. Literally NO-ONE will know how to deal with this technology when it fails. How many people can still program a Commodore 64?

As for manuals - I think it's a shame they are disappearing but it's not a surprise. I find it especially strange that people want one on GT's - they are much more enjoyable with a 6-stick. But I suspect it's all down to traffic jams - modern man's left thigh will wither away in future years! Thankfully I have my Boxer to keep me in shape. :)

Onno
Onno, you can keep your left thigh in buldge by driving a Daytona ! w/ smilies Jimmy

·
Registered
300 Posts
Just came back from Melbourne for a month rented one of those new toyota corolla for a couple of weeks 6 speed manual and my wife ask me why you rented a manual? what can i say just fantastic to drive foot on the clutch put in first and off we go............ it is very disappointing to hear Ferrari not making sticks shift anymore, on the other hand when these new high tech gearbox starts to age like jazzy O said is going to cost an arm and a leg to fix and only Ferrari mechanic can fix it, could be another way to keep the revenue coming for the company in the distance future.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Does anyone know how much it would cost (US or Euro) to replace a broken F1 gearbox on a 10 year old car?

It's a shame they are moving that way, but as others have said, demand will dictate the future direction. Perhaps demand will eventually make Ferrari build a car that can go 20K miles in between services, and only needs new cam belts every 20 yrs too.

That metal on metal sound of the stick on the open gate is wonderful, I had a polished steel ball on the 328's stick and everytime my wedding ring hit it, it made another wonderful metal on metal sound. Some of my fondest memories of my old 328 are of it's 5 speed manual: The open gate, the problems of getting used to the gear layout and putting it in reverse instead of first, trying to get into 2nd gear when cold. All things that you would curse on a lesser car, but things that you cherish on a Ferrari and bring a smile to your face when you think about them.

The manual box is dead. Long live the manual box.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Nicely put, Archie. Would I swap my 550 for a 575 with F1? Not in a million years. Seriously.

You know, what surprises me most is this comment that keeps flying by, usually uttered by "experts" such as the marketing director (I think) for Aston Martin, who said "anyone who prefers a manual over the paddle box is living in the stone age". The implication was, as it usually is, "the paddle box is so much faster". Faster meaning better of course. But....hellooooo! We may buy Ferraris and we may drive fast, but it is not to set a record time on a particular stretch! It is about enjoying the interaction between the road, the car, and yourself, and enjoying the influence you have over that balance. Getting the shifting right gives a tremendous amount of satisfaction, even at a hairpin at 30km/h. At the same speed in an F1 box you would be yawning. In fact, given the number of speed cameras and such on modern roads, you might even argue that having a manual box is an advantage for keeping your license. All in all, it is disappointing to see the manual go. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but to use an analogy: steam trains are cooler than electric ones...

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Nicely put, Archie. Would I swap my 550 for a 575 with F1? Not in a million years. Seriously.

You know, what surprises me most is this comment that keeps flying by, usually uttered by "experts" such as the marketing director (I think) for Aston Martin, who said "anyone who prefers a manual over the paddle box is living in the stone age". The implication was, as it usually is, "the paddle box is so much faster". Faster meaning better of course. But....hellooooo! We may buy Ferraris and we may drive fast, but it is not to set a record time on a particular stretch! It is about enjoying the interaction between the road, the car, and yourself, and enjoying the influence you have over that balance. Getting the shifting right gives a tremendous amount of satisfaction, even at a hairpin at 30km/h. At the same speed in an F1 box you would be yawning. In fact, given the number of speed cameras and such on modern roads, you might even argue that having a manual box is an advantage for keeping your license. All in all, it is disappointing to see the manual go. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but to use an analogy: steam trains are cooler than electric ones...

Onno
Onno, I am in total agreement. By the way, Boxer may let you train your left thigh in the near future ? w/ smiles Jimmy

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but to use an analogy: steam trains are cooler than electric ones...

Onno
+1:thumbsup: Thomas the Tank Engine rocks:thumbsup:

For some of us, nostalgia and boyhood dreams is what fueled our Ferrari purchase, we bought 20 year old Ferrari's because they were our dream cars when we were spotty teenagers and it took 20 years to save enough money to buy it. Sure, I would love to be rich enough to buy a brand new 599GTB, but I wouldn't buy one, the modern cars do nothing for me at all, not just the F1 box, but electric this and electric that all take away the pure driving pleasure of a real sports car. If I want electric gizmo's I'll buy a German or Japanese car and be safe in the knowledge that nothing will break and land me with a $20K bill just to fix the heated seats. Therefore, it doesn't really make any difference to me. 20 years from now, I'll probably be too old to bend down far enough to sit in a Ferrari, so it won't really matter if I can't find a used F430 or 599 GTB with a 6 speed manual. When I buy another Ferrari, If the latest Ferrari I have to settle for is a 360 or 550 with a 6 speed, I'm sure I can live with that:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts