Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Comrades,

In these times of political correctness ad nauseam and the endless aricles on 'Green' issues, is it not time to promulgate the overall aspects of 'Green Motoring' in which all factors are considered rather than merely the singular aspects of fuel consumption and Co2 emissions? Accordingly, should all factors be brought into play, I am confident that Ferrari, Rolls Royce, Bentley et al would be shown and proven to be the 'Greenest-Of-Them-All' (Acronym GOTA's) The reason? Their longevity of course. For the life of the overwhelmiing majority of motor cars have but a very short span before they are crushed and recycled. But this is not the case with the aforementioned which seemingly possess an indefinite lifespan. And upon the basis that there is far more 'overal energy' consumed (and Co2 emitted) within the manufacture of a motor car than the vehicle consumes within its short life-span, this must prove beyond any doubt whatsoever that Ferrari, Rolls Royce Bentley and many other motor cars are actually not the gas guzzling planet plundering behemoths that the political correct lobbyists would have us believe and which the detractors are only too pleased to pour scorn and derision upon, but instead, are in actual fact wonderfully 'green' motor cars and incredibly PC.

I am presently claiming the illustrious crown of GOTA King . . . . . possessing a total of 62 cylinders. It is highly probable that others may topple me, but for the moment I am the 'GOTA King of Ferrarilife.com. Will all challengers to my golden crown please state their 'Green' qualifications below :)

With green regards,

Vulcan the GOTA King

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not to challenge - but to admire of you on your self claimed GOTA, though I beelive you do deserve it considering your collection of Cylinders.

Though I question the fact that "if" the letters on the screen you see in front you have been projected by servers and machines which have bellowed out heat and used electricity your carbon foot print would be kind of Huge, dont yah kind fink ? food for thought.

meant in the nicest possbile way ;) TALOS sometimes adds to your carbon foot print ;) thus you would be quite a few minus points .... I am now making a quick exit.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
There is another point to this which no BH in the Western "civilised" world will ever acknowledge: because Ferraris almost never end up in 3rd world countries (except for the collections of dictators...), they are maintained to, and sometimes exceeding to, the standard of care they were getting when they were new. Now contrast this to the typical European car. After 6 years it starts smoking a bit. After 8 years it violates every MOT. After 10 years it disappears. Where to?

Nobody in Europe or the States ever wonders what happens to the sub $1,000 cars. Well, come on over for a BBQ in my garden here in Mali and I can show them to you: they end up in Africa (and other poor regions of the globe)! And the amount pollution these things create because they are run on a "if-it-goes-I-can-eat-tonight" budget is hard to believe.

So I'm with you, Vulcan. I'm only crown prince with 30 cylinders so far, but I'm working on it!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
This is an excellent thread because it is so true!

My '69 911E is a case in point. I am her third custodian and I have covered over 100,000km driving this wonderful car during the past 11 years. It was my daily car for 5 years and I would plan my day to miss the heavy traffic to and from work, as an old car without aircon would be even less fun than a modern in a gridlocked traffic jam.

Luckily in Europe I am able to cycle and use public transport rather than sitting in a car in traffic jams. The car for me has now become a means to indulge my passions for driving and travelling. With an econobox as an appliance, I guess it tends to get used as an appliance. Whereas a fine car is worth changing the lifestyle for so as to enjoy it as it was meant to be, away from the traffic.

The E is such a fabulous car that I still get a huge kick out of driving her, rather than having to replace one boring car with another every 2 years or so. One appreciating classic over 5 boring cars during the past 11 years is not only a better investment, it is also more environmentally friendly. And a lot more fun.

My tally is 26 cylinders, largely because the 911s "only" have 6 cylinders.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I guess I'm at the bottom of the list with 1 cylinder and 100cc, but watch out: it produces over 4 bhp! hehehehehehe

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I'm at the bottom of the list with 1 cylinder and 100cc, but watch out: it produces over 4 bhp! hehehehehehe
Dear Comrade stile - alpine,

This is not necessarily the case for you may well be at the top of the list as this post is about 'greenness' and the politicising of erroneous factors of merely calculating fuel economy and Co2 emissions, when in truth, the elements of global pollution and the eponymous global warming and if global warming exists at all, the factors of assessment are incorrect and politically directed at fallacies. Therefore the political correctness is Not Politically Correct (NPC).

With green regards,

Vulcan the GOTA King of Ferrarilife.com

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I wouldn't want a green Ferrari at all...Well...Maybe one of the newer models...but definitely nothing built before this millenium in green.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I wouldn't want a green Ferrari at all...Well...Maybe one of the newer models...but definitely nothing built before this millenium in green.
Really?

Our Royal Highness, Prince Bernhard (died a couple of years ago at age 89), was a huge Ferrarifan (as well as patron of the Ferrari Club Holland) and famously usually ordered his cars in Verde Pino Metallizzato, a dark green metallic colour. It is a stunning colour on '60ies Pininfarina designs. Unfortunately I couldn't find a photograph on the net of one of his green classics, but here's a link to some of his Ferrari's (he didn't own that Monza BTW, only thought about buying it): http://www.geenstijl.nl/paginas/ferrarisvandeprins.html

I would love to own 330GTC or something like it in dark green - I think the colour fits the lines of the era very well.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Really?

Our Royal Highness, Prince Bernhard (died a couple of years ago at age 89), was a huge Ferrarifan (as well as patron of the Ferrari Club Holland) and famously usually ordered his cars in Verde Pino Metallizzato, a dark green metallic colour. It is a stunning colour on '60ies Pininfarina designs. Unfortunately I couldn't find a photograph on the net of one of his green classics,
Onno
This company has actually the ferrari 400 of our late prins for sale...green
see www.historicmotoring.com

·
Registered
77 Posts
Do any Ferraris deliver worse co2 g/km figures than the 550?

At the moment I can find very few cars ever made that beat 520g/km.
I think only Diablos and early Murcielagos, now everything is much lower.

Suppose the 550 was one of the last group of cars to be built without a ot of consideration for g/km (or MPG for that matter!).

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Do any Ferraris deliver worse co2 g/km figures than the 550?

At the moment I can find very few cars ever made that beat 520g/km.
I think only Diablos and early Murcielagos, now everything is much lower.

Suppose the 550 was one of the last group of cars to be built without a ot of consideration for g/km (or MPG for that matter!).
I think that the point of this thread is that we must not get caught up in co2 g/km as the sole means to judge how "green" a car is. What is more important is how long is the expected lifespan of that car maintained in pristine condition. The longer this lifespan, the fewer the number of cars that need to be manufactured to replace it. In the case of a Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo et al, most likely the owner would adapt a lifestyle to avoid traffic jams and woud keep the car for a number of years rather than replacing it with a new appliance every few years.

In the real world, a Ferrari is way more environmentally friendly than a Prius.

At the Le Mans Classic I saw a green Ferrari 275 GTS finished in metallic dark green with red interior. It looked fabulous.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts