Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Lately I have been randomly in thought about whether a Ferrari testarossa is really a true Ferrari?
I believe in this especially because of the design of the car, compared to others, it's of a poor standard...:drive:

·
Registered
2 Posts
julian4 said:
Hi all,
Lately I have been randomly in thought about whether a Ferrari testarossa is really a true Ferrari?
I believe in this especially because of the design of the car, compared to others, it's of a poor standard...:drive:

What and how do you define a "True Ferrari?"

·
Registered
9 Posts
julian4 said:
Hi all,

Poor standard please explain?

·
Registered
9 Posts
julian4 said:
Hi all,
I see from your profile you currently own and have owned numerous Ferraris. So please enlighten us. What exactly is a true Ferrari????

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
....now where did I put that can of Troll spray???...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
True Ferrari...

Okay from me to all of you,
A true Ferrari to me is one that has:

a) Top engineering.
b) Design, compared to the F40/Enzo, the testarossa isn't special excellent.
c) Speed, it can only go 290 km max, instead of the F40 as 320 km.
d) Engine noise, I have looked into the Ferrari testarossa exhaust system and its noise, and seriously a 355 is better.

Can you prove me wrong?:confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
julian4 said:

a) Top engineering.
d) Engine noise, I have looked into the Ferrari testarossa exhaust system and its noise, and seriously a 355 is better.

The F4o/Enzo special limited editions and since you know so much you should have added a few more to this list like 288gto,f50 perhaps? As for speed when it went on the market was just about the fastest thing on four wheels still faster than quite a few cars to date. As for noise, listen to the car and it is as sweet sounding an engine as you will find, it isn;t all about volume if thats what you judge a car on buy a motorcycle they are loud. I hope this helps you with your confusion and if you want my advice on being a ferrari critic read the books and you will find the testarossa is one of ferrari's best known and loved ferrari's:drive:

·
Registered
27 Posts
This bloke's only trying to Raz us all up.

The Testarossa is the absolute epitomy of the late 80's supercar and one of the most stunning, head turning cars on the road, even 20 years later.

I have two of them and they are both drop dead gorgeous. To me they are more real than the latest series in which the styling has gone just a little too 'mainstream'.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Gee, isn't the Testarossa like one of the most instantly recognizable cars on the planet? Just about everyone on Earth can see a Testarossa drive by, poke his buddy in the ribs and say, "Hey look! A Ferrari!"

·
Registered
509 Posts
Ive never been a huge fan of the Testarossa's styling but it is definately worthy of being called a ferrari and carrying the name testarossa (which is a privilage in and of itself).

·
Registered
9 Posts
julian4 said:

a) Top engineering.

a) I'm not an engineer so I won't comment.
b) The F40/Enzo were not around yet. Point being no Testarossa no F40 / Enzo
c) Compared to the state of the art cars when it was introduced I believe it had the highest top end of any production car.
d) Put a better muffler on it ie X-OST Maranello. Problem solved and by the way the 355 isn't a Ferrari it is a Dino. Don't believe me ? Look under the rear deck, it only has 8 cylinders. :) :) Now shoo troll shoo.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ferrari testarossa...

All of you,
Thanksfor the replies.
You know what you all have good points.
Although, I was referring to the testarossa in comparison to todays age compared to the f40 etc.
I guess the ferrari testarossa is a pretty good ferrari, you have all convinced me:drive:
Great!

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Well, here is your Ferrari 101 class……take notes…

I decided on an 89 TR to give the other models a chance…..because back in 84, the models of other car companies were pretty sad….and barely broke 200-220 km/h

89 Lotus Esprit Turbo 215 bhp / 220 lb ft
89 Mustang GT 225 bhp / 300 lb ft
89 Corvette 245 bhp / 345 lb ft
89 Porsche 911 250 bhp / 228 lb ft
89 Lamborghini Countach LP500 S 375 bhp / 310 lb ft
89 Ferrari Testarossa 390 bhp / 354 lb ft

The Testarossa was the Supercar of the 80's/90’s and where most car companies said….wow…now what do we do....
In 1984 the GTO was produced, 1987 the F40 came out and with the Testarossa, this was 3 cars that Lamborghini was behind in power so this is the reason why Lambo made the Diablo in 1990 because they were no longer in the “game” for Supercars.

And as far as comparing the TR to the F40…learn your Ferrari history…the F40 was solely design to be the fastest street legal road car based on track specs, that’s it, that’s all. The seats and doors weigh less than 3 pounds each. No glass besides the windshield, all else is plexiglass, no inside door handles or covering, only a cable to open the door. No radio, no frills and body panels built to be the lightest possible. The TR was 882 lbs heavier than the F40, so besides the driver, add 4 more 220 lbs pound guys in the F40 and you now have the same weight as the TR….big difference.

So here are your questions…

a) Top engineering……(hell yeah, engineering at it’s best)

b) Design, compared to the F40/Enzo, the Testarossa isn't special excellent. (F40 was a track car for the road, period, different style of car. Enzo….umm an 18 year difference…I would be embarrassed to even mention a comparison due to age alone. The power of a home computer today, in 1984 was a city block 5 stories high)

c) Speed, it can only go 290 km max, instead of the F40 as 320 km. (Again different cars with 882 lbs difference. One was a V12 and the other a V8 with two IHI Turbos. And complaining about 30km/h....give me a MF break)

d) Engine noise, I have looked into the Ferrari Testarossa exhaust system and its noise, and seriously a 355 is better. (They are all loud, but again V12 and V8, two different cars)

Can you prove me wrong? (Don’t need to, you don’t know your Ferrari’s)

But that's why we are all here....to learn, teach others, get tips and advice.

~

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
julian4 said:
Although, I was referring to the testarossa in comparison to todays age
It isn't fair to judge any car against one that is considerably newer. It would be like saying my 1982 CJ7 isn't a very good Jeep because it doesn't have an independant suspension and antilock brakes like the new Wrangler.

And the 308 - you can go out and buy a brand new Subaru that will run circles around the 308. Doesn't make the 308 less of a Ferrari.

When I bought my 308 I had a co-worker who went on and on about how his new Camaro was way better than my 308. Way more horsepower, better braking, better handling, more trunk space, etc. etc. Finally I reminded him that his car is 20 years newer than mine and I'd be pretty dissappointed in GM if they couldn't come up with something better than a carburetted 308 after 20 years. But park them side by side and no one is going to walk past my car to ask you, "Wow, is that a real Chevrolet?"

But I really put him in his place when I told him which performance factor my old 308 exceeded his new Camaro at. "What's that?", he said. I said, "My car's still worth what I paid for it." :)

julian4 said:
I guess the ferrari testarossa is a pretty good ferrari, you have all convinced me.
:) :) Glad we could help you to "See the light" :) :)

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Pete04222 said:
park them side by side and no one is going to walk past my car to ask you, "Wow, is that a real Chevrolet?"
Pete, that was just hilarious!!

About the topic, the Testarossa was one of the most impressive cars when I was a kid, one of the few that I remember that impressed me when I was just 5 years old

I´ve heard that it has electric problems and other stuff, but well... It´s an icon, that´s for sure!

·
Registered
2 Posts
As the story goes........................

A friend stops by one Saturday afternoon, shortly after I bought my dream.....a 1987 TR.............He watches as I fiddle with this and that on the TR and continually for an hour questions, "What the hell was I thinking buying a vehicle such as this, that doesn't handle, accelerate, nor brake as well as his new Z06 Vette!".............After politely asking him if he was finished with his monologue, I explained to him what my position was concerning his Z06 vs. Ferrari "arguement", with two worthwhile and quite convincing facts......................

1. In 5 years you will own a second hand Chevy, I will own a Ferrari.

2. Now that you are humiliated, please go to fridge and grab us a couple of Buds.

He agreed and retrieved..................Nuff said.

Kerry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts