Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about you guys, but for me, if it doesn't have shields on it, I won't even consider it. The shields are an integral piece of Ferrari, like the 3-spoke steering wheel which only because of airbag laws we must now live without.

When I see a Ferrari without the shields I think that the person driving it doesn't truly know what a Ferrari is, and what it means to be a Ferrari. It is decades of being the pinnacle of performance, and engine baby, engine.

It is sad that a grand majority of used Ferrari (308,328,348,355,TR,550) do not have the shields because the original purchaser did not pay the 1/2% extra over total cost to add the shields and now Ferrarians must suffer for centuries because of it.

Hell, shame on Ferrari for making them an option, they should be standard!

Oh well, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I think the shields are only for the top of the line Ferrari's, the real racers. That is where they were used on, and that is where they should be on. They are standard on the 288 GTO/F40/F50/Enzo, but an option on other cars, only because some people wanted them on their 348/355/360 as well. I think they shouldn't be on the regular cars, because they are meant to show that it is a real race Ferrari. The SF on those shields stands for Scuderia Ferrari, which means the Ferrari racing team. Vintage road cars did not have the shields as well.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
yosturm said:
A Ferrari without the shields I think that the person driving it doesn't truly know what a Ferrari is, and what it means to be a Ferrari

It is sad that a grand majority of used Ferrari (308,328,348,355,TR,550) do not have the shields because the original purchaser did not pay the 1/2% extra over total cost to add the shields

Yosturm, I understand how you feel but they can still be added. Not everyone likes the shields, Cavalino and the model numbers on the cars. Some order the cars bare…Why ? Who knows…I know I would have them. Different strokes for different folks.

Dr. Bob said:
The shields are only for the top of the line Ferrari's, the real racers. That is where they were used on, and that is where they should be on. They are standard on the 288 GTO/F40/F50/Enzo, but an option on other cars, only because some people wanted them on their 348/355/360 as well. The SF on those shields stands for Scuderia Ferrari, which means the Ferrari racing team. Vintage road cars did not have the shields as well.
I know what you mean but I think it adds style and a certain uniqueness…

~

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
I agree, the shields do look good but I am a bit of a purist in some ways and feel the only belong on certain models.

The shields were only for the rare and supermodels that Ferrari made. They were not options on 308/328/348/355 as of the 360 they became options again. I do not believe they were options for the 550 but don't quote me on that.

Also we still have the three spoke wheel (see F430 wheel below):

http://www.ferrarilife.com/photos/viewphoto.php?p_id=2905&mode=model&modelselect=157

·
Registered
22 Posts
I haven't seen a Barchetta without them....but that's a long way off from saying they all have sheilds.

That being said, my 2001 550 has sheilds direct from the factory...so they were an option (at least in MY 2001). Maybe this coincided with the beginning of them being offered on the 360, circa 1999 and onwards?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Dr. Bob said:
The SF on those shields stands for Scuderia Ferrari, which means the Ferrari racing team. Vintage road cars did not have the shields as well.

I never really thought about like that. At first I was reading the thread and was like ... Why the hell would you NOT get the shields?

Unfortunately I like the shields ... so Im gonna put it on everything that says ferrari. :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
On second thought ...

As per our own FAQ Scuderia Ferrari means Ferrari Stable. Dont they all belong to the stable?! They should wear the shiled!

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I have shield on my cars. To me, this allows me to immerse myself in the actual racing heritage of these cars, and share in the pride of the marque.

·
Registered
2 Posts
All Stradale's have shields. It was not an option. Stradale's are a great package of features at a relatively amazing price. Brakes, Wheels, Carbon fiber etc. Of course the radio was an option.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
the Stradale is also a racing car for the road, since it is a Challenge stradale :D

Only thing it was standard on and not being a racecar was the 550 Barchetta I think. I don't mind that people put it on their cars, but I also don't mind if they don't.

·
Registered
33 Posts
~
jungathart said:
I have shield on my cars. To me, this allows me to immerse myself in the actual racing heritage of these cars, and share in the pride of the marque.
And I must agree with Jungathart... Well stated!!...That also goes for me too...
The heritage is the car.

~

·
Registered
33 Posts
RichardBarclay said:
~

And I must agree with Jungathart... Well stated!!...That also goes for me too...
The heritage is the car.

~

I like this Shield Idea so much I will try to include my family Crest to my Avitar from now on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts