Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How could someone tell the difference between
a genuine Ferrari 360 Modena
and a well made replica of the same model?

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
The average person in the street might not spot a modern day replica of a 355 or 360, but any F enthusiast or owner would spot one a mile off. Look on EBay and you see dozens of replicas based on MR2's or Fiero's, they look horrid and most arereally poorly put together DIY jobs. They are also taller than the respective Ferrari, so the rear winscreen and quarter lights don't look right. When you look in side most have been blinged up and look like a boy racers car with big speakers, loud seats and lots of neon lights, not refined and classy like a real Ferrari. That's just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
If that is what you want then get it. But most people automatically assume all Ferraris are kit cars anyway.

For the price of a 360 kit car you could buy a really nice, genuine, Ferrari 308.

·
Registered
217 Posts
How could someone tell the difference between
a genuine Ferrari 360 Modena
and a well made replica of the same model?
I remember I've seen on on Ebay that's kinda hard to tell the difference from the outside (built from an Fiero). However, when you look into the engine bay / interior, you can clearly tell its fake... I will try to find the ebay link

oh and i'm sure the "actual" car would sized different then the real 360.

·
Registered
354 Posts
360 Replica's.

I remember when I was driving my Modena through Leicester and I had this guy in some boring eurobox suggest my 360 was a 'replica' because I wouldnt 'race him'.

A quick blat of my Capriso put that argument to rest :)

I've been told that people with replica 360's are putting on 'Fake' brake disc 'covers' behind genuine wheels now.. Oh dear.

Trev

PS. Hey Jimmy, did you drive your 360 around Marina Del Rey area about 9 months ago? I just remember seeing a Red 360 parked up near the beach end at a Restaurant/Bar. (I was working in LA staying at the Marriot Hotel there) and seeing the car made me feel so happy (and sad) all at the same time. There I was, having to spent (11 months in total in LA) driving Hertz cars having only a few months earlier purchased my own 360, knowing that my car was thousands of miles away stuck in a garage back in UK - it was the biggest tourment of my life.. I'm doing it again now, arrg... now working in Australia and my cars still stuck in that damn garage... Sigh...

·
Registered
453 Posts
there was a shockingly nice 512BB replica for sale on ebay, may still be there. but if i were to go for a Ferrari, i'd rather wait and get the real one. that is the joy of the life experience to actually have a real Ferrari. you need the full monte' of engine, interior, exterior, and heritage.

but there are exceptionally mint copies out there. there is a web site devoted to them. some of them are done so well that it is tempting to get one. they'd be more reliable!

·
Registered
132 Posts
There's a lot more to woning and driving a Ferrari than looks...

but most replicas have totally different windshield and roof proportions, also as already noted, the size off the entire car is slightly off. MAYBE the 288 GTO conversion for the 308 is a good replica? But that's another league of replicars, you're talking about Fiero and MR2, or Corvette based Daytonas, they all look like Elaine from Seinfeld said, FAKE, FAKE, FAKE!! ha ha........just my 2 cents worth! I had my 308 out for a cruise today in 36C full sun, scorchin' but still a blast!!! Ciao, Dennis

1 - 12 of 12 Posts