Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A revisited topic, but adlinyusman made a comment in his last post about missing the under 4 liter V8 (replacement for the 360 to be over 4).

I think a V10 would be great. What do you think?

·
Registered
383 Posts
honestly, this is what i think:

V8:The modena replacement should still maintain the V8 engine, with an increase in capacity, which i believe has to happen since Lamborghini and McLaren are both set to go head on against ferraris niche market segment. I don't like the increase in engine capacity because a higher cc output means a higher tax levy on the car in malaysia. But that's my bad. Not the worlds.

V10: A newly developed V10 engine should go into a Maranello replacement, and phase out the GT class for the Maranello and just stick to the Scaglietti for the the Gran Turismo class. The V10 should at least have 550bhp in it and the displacement should be no more than 6.0 litres.

V12: This engine size should only be used for limited edition Ferraris or GT class cars. The displacement for an engine this size is quite literally the moon. Since it's already a heavy engine, it's really unlikely for ferrari to go the old route and do a 3.2 litre V12 engine now would they? I see ferraris stretching to 6.3-7.0 litres to catch up with the Pagani Zonda's replacement coming out end of this year.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I think the V8 and V12 configurations are enough. Why another engine? V8 for the smaller Ferrari's, if they need to go faster, put a bigger block in it. V12 for the supercars and GT's. V12's can be enormous in the GT's, in the supercars they should be smaller to keep that aggressive sound

·
Registered
308 Posts
I would like to add, in my own opinion I have never heard a V10 that actaully sounded "nice". Ever heard a Viper with an opened up exhaust? It can be ear-drum-splitting! This is just my opinion though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
A V-10 engine sounds really nice for me , I thing ferrari need to have a car between the 360s ,575 and 612, or in the future a v-10 can substitute the 8 cylinders cars. And the v-10 have a beautifull sound and a good performace, they could made it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
carguy said:
I would like to add, in my own opinion I have never heard a V10 that actaully sounded "nice". Ever heard a Viper with an opened up exhaust? It can be ear-drum-splitting! This is just my opinion though.
ever heard of formula one cars? Or maybe the Carrera GT??

·
Registered
895 Posts
Testarossa BR said:
The f-1 cars is a good example of a v-10 sounds nice hehe how many rpms the ferrari f1 gets?? 19000 ??
Yeah, I think the 053 must get at least to 18.5K if not, 19,000. The scream from an F1 engine is absolutely something out of this world.

·
Registered
383 Posts
which makes you wonder how the carrera gt can emulate the sound so closely, without revving into the heavens. Why can't ferrari do this!!

One more thing, is it just me or are the Minardis a little too loud for F1? The other cars are nicely balanced, with a nice shrieking pitch when the pass the start finish line..but the minardis sound noisy as hell (not in the good sense)...the toyotas too...maybe just me.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Adlinyusman.....in regards to my earlier post, yes I have heard F1 cars. But I have not heard the Porsche GT or the even the new Lambo Gallardo in person.....so I can't comment on those, and limited television coverage just doesn't do it for me. F1 cars hit such high revs that there is NO comparison to road cars, so I don't consider that a valid argument. However....if or when I hear the Lambo or Porsche V-10 motors and they sound good...I will certainly change my opinion. It's just so far my real world experience with V-10s has been disappointing as far as making sounds that stir my emotions.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Wooo! I've heard the Lambo V10 in the showroom, and it's not bad. :wink: Course hearing any Italian engine is sweet for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'd be interested in knowing how much "science" goes into making some engines sound so good, or whether they mainly just turn out that way. I guess only an engine design engineer could enlighten us, but I'm genuinely intrigued.

Many engine sounds come from impacts, vibrations and gas flows, built-up in complex harmonics and overlays. Having "close" tolerances and low vibes, etc would seem to be a better engineering solution and is probably done in most engines, so what does Ferrari & others do different? Do they "design-in" certain impacts (cams/valves/gears) to generate audible frequencies? Maybe there is an career opporunity here to "orchestrate" great engine sounds into future engines. :D

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Bob348 said:
italian engine....ehhh you have to say it as quick as possible...

because for me it remains a german engine...
:lol: :lol:
they are still trying to let us believe that it's italian by making them there

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
The sound is due basically to the firing order of the engine. The Viper has a typical American 90deg firing order while Ferrari does it at 180deg. So even if Ferrari does the V10, it will not sound like a typical American engine. Rest assured!!!

I do like to see a V10. I drove the Gallardo and the engine is great. This is the Modena's competition. Ferrari has to respond. And this where the V10 is needed for the Modena replacement.

The market sector for the "Modena" class is very small. How many customers are there for a 100,000 to 120,000 sports car. How many? It is nice to think that Ferrari can produce a V8, a V10 and a V12 model line-up. But the reality is they can't. They'll die. To increase production they have to expand the factory. Ferrari can only make 5,000 cars in V8 and V12. That's the maximum. If they expand then they have to find the market. There is no market!! Because Lambo, Aston Martin and Bentley are in the market now to take away sales from Ferrari. And Mercedes is also getting into the act with their new V8 mid-engine car.

The Scaglietti is already a failure befor it started productio. 3 of my friends who have put deposit on the car has decided to cancel their orders!!!!! I talked to the dealer and he is very downbeat on the prospect of the car. Why CAR magazine described it as the ugliest car in the recent Detroit Motor Show!!.

Ferrari has made a big mistake in the design of the Scaglietti and the money spent on the development fo the car can never be recovered. Then the money they spent on the Maserati 4200 is not making any return on investment. 20 cars were oredered by our delaer and so far he has sold 5, in the last 2 years. The 575M is also not selling.

Ferrari road car is seeing hard times ahead, They have to get the right model in their bread-and-butter "Modena" replacement model.

We are Ferrari fans, we will buy Ferraris no matter what. But most owners of exotic cars are merely car lovers, they will buy any car than tickle their fancy. And sadly these are the very people that Ferrari targets and they will in the end determine if Ferrari cars are attractive enough to buy. Ferrari has to look after their taste while maitaining the interest of us, fans.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good points, Stradale.

My friends and I were looking at the Bentley GT at Amelia, it is more appealing than the new 612, I have seen it in person also. The 612 is suppose to sell for 250,000 or more and I think the Bentley is 160,000.

Like you say the market is flooded with high end performance cars, and you don't have to buy a Ferrari to get good performance as it seems we are in the midst of another golden age in horsepower.

The Ferrari mystique will only take sales so far, still a unique marque for sure but the competition is fierce.

I agree the Modena needs to be stepped up and a real winner because they need those sales badly.

·
Registered
383 Posts
the scaglietti may not sell that well, but i don't think the 456 sold that well either..but they kept producing it anyway. I'm sure there are ferrari afficianados out there who would want to drive a ferrari but because most of their cars are coupe, 2 seater sports cars...they can't, so i guess the 612 will find its niche market, well at least i hope it does, it may not be the most prettiest ferrari ever, but hey...it's still a ferrari and it's nice to see one or two on the road on a fine sunny day....

and yes the modena replacement better be good looking, that class is the best selling class for ferrari, so i'll keep my fingers crossed, they haven't let us down yet!

·
Registered
23 Posts
As i wrote on www.automotiveforums.com

"I think that Ferrari should stick to V8 and V12...
That is what the really are good at...

ohh and by the way...
a V10 Modena?
whats wrong with you guys...

Ferrari has always used V8's for the small cars and V12's for the big cars..
and i don't think that Ferrari will change that part of the design filosofi, to satisfy some customers..

and also, you dont buy a ferrari for it's speed or acceleration, (well some people do)
but to get a Special Unique Emotion and that is what you get i a Ferrari V8 or V12"

now, in the past 50 years Ferrari has only used V10 engines in F1 cars!
the only reason for that is because FIA made the rule that all F1 cars had to have a V10 to make the competition fear,
if that rule hadn't been made, Ferrari would still use a V12 i Formula 1

Cheers

·
Registered
613 Posts
DemoX said:
now, in the past 50 years Ferrari has only used V10 engines in F1 cars!
the only reason for that is because FIA made the rule that all F1 cars had to have a V10 to make the competition fear,
if that rule hadn't been made, Ferrari would still use a V12 i Formula 1
but not for long. From 2006 F1 cars may only use V8 engines! I think V8 is going to live longest... ...until we find power source...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts