Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the dealers in my area refuses to sell Mondial's based on his allegations that the car has too many electrical problems. Although he feels it would be a profitable way to make extra money, he doesn't need the aggravation from customers. He sells all other Ferarri's.

I thought that all Ferrari's in the 80's were temperamental when it came to electrical issues. Does any one have specific experience with say Mondial and 308 /328' s ??

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Yeah, the electrical system is weak. Power windows are a common problem as well as fuse panels.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there any upgrade available to the fuse panel? Can it be fixed?

(I saw a reply once that mentioned bypassing the fuse panel would help the window problem. An new intermediate fuse would have to be added).

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I know a bunch of 308 owners have replaced the fuse panel with a universal panel from NAPA that uses the glass AGC fuses rather than the stock plastic GBC fuse with the exposed fusible conductor.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
You should be able to do it yourself for under $100. Here's a couple of pics of bad fuse panels and some owner-installed replacements. The glass fuse one I mentioned earlier and one using the ATC blade-type fuse.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like a neat project along my line of experience: I am an electrical engineer!!!

I may buy the car after all.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
LEONF said:
Sounds like a neat project along my line of experience: I am an electrical engineer!!!
Shoot, you should be able to fix any electrical problem with the car. It ain't high-tech stuff on the early '80's cars. The main electrical problems are when you get a bunch of Italians trying to wire up 500 cars after their pasta and vino lunch break and you are lucky if the headlights come on at all without starting a fire. An electrical engineer ought to be able to get one car right.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Pete04222 said:
...The main electrical problems are when you get a bunch of Italians trying to wire up 500 cars after their pasta and vino lunch break and you are lucky if the headlights come on at all without starting a fire...
Eh, what Peter's saying here is that these are truly hand-built cars! 8)

"Mondials Rule!"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree. The only issue that I was worried about was the quality of the cable, as well as the kinks that may be inaccessible without removing panels, etc.

In addition, a weak fuse box causing a faulty connection, can increase the wear and tear on the relays and other related equipment such as switches due to constant current and voltage spikes.

But it's woth a try. Thanks again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
use stabilent 22 on all connections . rear qtr windows can sometimes be repaired . tricky getting them out of the pocket though . forza frank

1 - 11 of 11 Posts