Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this car looks like a Ferrari 500 ,maybe from 1954,body unique maybe from fiberglass, maybe built to race in the States
The residence of the car is in the Petersen Museum.
It has some badges on her, so it should have a name too!

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
amc said:
So, this car looks like a Ferrari 500 ,maybe from 1954,body unique maybe from fiberglass, maybe built to race in the States
The residence of the car is in the Petersen Museum.
It has some badges on her, so it should have a name too!
At first glace it looks like a Ferrari and I'm not saying either way just yet. I will say I am leaning towards non-Ferrari or kit, but then again why would it be in a museum? Here is my reasoning:

1. No Ferrari badging anywhere. The hood doesn't have the yellow Ferrari square, the rear doesn't say Ferrari. Just about every Ferrari ever has one or both
2. In the second photo what is the white cylinder behind what would be the passenger seat? Gas feed from the gas cap outside (which by the way is odd placement)?
3. The guages in the first photo look too new
4. The doors almost looks like they don't open and the cut on the almost looks like the engine would open up like a modern Viper revealing the tire, suspension and engine, which would probably not have been available in 1954

It also has a bit of 340/342 in it. That is my 2 cents. I'd love to hear more about this and to see if anyone unravels the mystery.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I'll guess that it is a Maserati.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I dont think its a maser, and I dont think its a ferrari. It has a shield shaped emblem on the front and back ... masers have an oval thingy.

It has center knockoffs which a ppropriate but the first deviation Ive ever seen from Borani wheels came with the 275.

Lastly the hood scoop is all wrong. The scoop doesnt look like 'part' of the hood, it comes out of the hood and forms its own being (see the lip on the bottom of the scoop?). All the models Ive seen ever (all years) have had a subtle sloping kind of scoop.

My vote is no Ferrari.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats right!
And its not about guessing, its about finding the name and history of this (maybe Ferrari)

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
My next and last guess is that it is an Abarth.

·
Registered
509 Posts
1954 Bosley GT Mark I

Engine Type: Hemi V-8 (Chrysler)
Engine Size: 331 cubic inches
Horsepower: 300
Price When New: $9,000

Powered by a Chrysler Hemi engine, the low slung, fiberglass Bosley had an advertised top speed of more than 160 miles per hour. Intended as a dual-purpose sports/racing car, the Bosley had a 55 gallon gas tank which made it ideal for long distance races. Ohio-based creator Richard Bosley found it difficult to secure funding to produce his car in quantity. Built at a cost of over $9,000, this prototype remained the only Bosley GT Mark I ever produced. A second Bosley, the Interstate Mark II, was produced in 1961. Powered by a Pontiac V-8, the Interstate Mark II was based on a 1957 Chevrolet Corvette chassis. Like the GT Mark I, it did not progress beyond the prototype stage.

Courtesy of Alex Symcox of the Petersen Automotive Museum

·
Registered
509 Posts
There really isnt much in the way of info about this car.

It was really bothering me that I didnt know what kind of car it was and I couldnt figure it out. I asled a friend of mine and he was just like ... "Why dont you call Petersen and ask?" It was such a simple idea ... wonder why I never thought of it. haha

Cool car, the guy at petersen was very helpful.

:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts