Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, pardon the ingnorance of a "hot rodder", but I am admittedly a Ferrari lover!

Since I'm not in the league of Ferrari owners, could someone shed a little light on this for me? I love the 'trumpet' sound of a Ferrari horn and beleive you'll agree that there's nothing quite like it!

From what I could find it seems that Fiaam OEM's these for Ferrari, and that they are indeed air driven. Can someone point me to a reseller? Anyone know the PSI and/or CFM for these? I don't want to overdrive them.

As much fun as hot rods are an AHOOGA horn doesn't seem to let people know how pissed off you are. A blast from something as distinctive as a Ferrari trumpet is sure to get their attention!

Thanks for your help!

http://www.streetrodding.com//images/messages/83579_31tudor.JPG

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I bought a set of air horns for my Jeep at a discount auto parts place. Came with 2 trumpets, the compressor, all the wires and the fuse. I can't remember what I paid but it was pretty cheap and they are LOUD. They sound kind of like my Ferrari horn but louder.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Oh, and actually, Ferrari horns are distinctive because they are mis-named. They would more accurately be called "whistles" A horn generates sound by a vibrating diaphram, a whistle produces a single note from a flow of compressed air.
My oil rig has a horn that would stop your heart if you stood next to it. It's the loudest freakin' thing you ever heard in your life. Way louder than a cannon. But it is referred to as the "Ship's whistle". It has 4 trumpets and it's own air receiver that's the size of a refridgerator.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Pete! I've looked at a number of the air horns at parts stores but have two concerns.

First, where to mount them? On a highboy roadster there isn't much space left to mount ANYTHING on the chassis. I can't get away with much more on a fendered car.

Second, I'm anal enough (if you're a Ferrari guy I'm sure you can appreciate that!) that the sound of the horn is almost as important as getting the attention of the idiot who is doing something stupid.

"Good" sound is so subjective, but when I mention a Ferrari horn everyone knows just what I'm talking about. It just sounds classy!

Finding an airhorn setup at the parts store might be a lot of trial and error to find the right thing. Anyone have a recommendation?

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I can understand the anal part. I'm the same way. Not having seen your car, but having seen ones like it, I'm thinking the firewall. Mount the 2 trumpets pointing down and the compressor right next to them.

I'm pretty happy with the sound of the cheap set-up I got at the discount parts place. You could get a set and without installing them hook them up to a battery and see if you like the sound.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, and anal is such a NICE word, LOL. If you'd like to see what I'm doing check this link: http://www.streetrodding.com//images/messages/83579_31tudor.JPG

As you can see, the firewall really isn't an option for me. I run both cars with and without hoods. The red roadster has an AHOOGA horn mounted really low on the passenger side firewall. It's visible but doesn't detract from the appearance.

You don't realize it until you build one, but this is the definition of 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Sweet rides man! Nice work! You are right, air trumpets will be a lot more distinctive than the Ahooga.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts