Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was said on another forum....I was always under the impression that fuel damages oil seals and O rings.

"You can also try this if you're moving to new oil.....

Drain the old oil, and put the plug back in finger tight.

Fill the gearbox with parts washer, or even petrol, about 3-4 litres, then turn the road wheels off the ground by hand for as long as you can be bothered, then drain that all away too. THEN, put in your new oil. This way, you get immediate feel on the difference the oil made, not a contaminated batch.

And just a tiny point, a little pet habit I've grown fond of... Use an ally washer instead of copper. It reduces electrolysis around the plug, which protects the threads from seizing and stripping."

I'm just about to change my gearbox oil type, any comments?

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I don't think I would "flush" the box. You may contaminate the oils.

I would use Redline 75W90NS gear oil with maybe a 4 oz bottle of Redline Friction modifier in first.

I'd drive the car a bit to warm the oil, then drain the oil and let it drip for a while by itself.
Get a replacement magnetic plug with o-rings from Daniel at Ricambi.

I'd run that oil for about 800-1,000 miles, and then drain it and refill again with Redline.

Made a huge difference in my 360, and I am about to do it again. Unfortunately the rear bumper has to come off to get to the filter screen but that's ok.

·
Registered
183 Posts

And just a tiny point, a little pet habit I've grown fond of... Use an ally washer instead of copper. It reduces electrolysis around the plug, which protects the threads from seizing and stripping."

........ great idea about the electolysis ... :)

I don't think I would "flush" the box. You may contaminate the oils.

I would use Redline 75W90NS gear oil with maybe a 4 oz bottle of Redline Friction modifier in first.

I'd drive the car a bit to warm the oil, then drain the oil and let it drip for a while by itself.
Get a replacement magnetic plug with o-rings from Daniel at Ricambi.

I'd run that oil for about 800-1,000 miles, and then drain it and refill again with Redline.

Made a huge difference in my 360, and I am about to do it again. Unfortunately the rear bumper has to come off to get to the filter screen but that's ok.
This place is great .... :)!!!

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
---And just a tiny point, a little pet habit I've grown fond of... Use an ally washer instead of copper. It reduces electrolysis around the plug, which protects the threads from seizing and stripping."
Do you mean "alloy" washer for "ally"? Can you define "ally"?

The other reason why I would not flush the gearbox with other than gear oil is the possibility of vapors from the flush being trapped w/in the gearbox and possibly damaging seals when trying to escape under pressure from heat.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you mean "alloy" washer for "ally"? Can you define "ally"?

The other reason why I would not flush the gearbox with other than gear oil is the possibility of vapors from the flush being trapped w/in the gearbox and possibly damaging seals when trying to escape under pressure from heat.
i assume he meant alloy...i just copied and pasted.

i was more just stunned at the thought of putting petrol onto oil seals and rubbers. usually petrol seals are made of a different material.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
---i was more just stunned at the thought of putting petrol onto oil seals and rubbers. usually petrol seals are made of a different material.
Wow no kidding.

I remember years ago when we'd rebuild an engine we'd drain the oil, replace the filter, and then refill it with kerosene. We'd run the engine that way a low speed for about a 1/2-1 hour, and then drain again, and you would not believe what came out of that block!

Upon rebuild we'd put in light oil, run for about 200 miles, and then drain again and refill with correct oil weight.

Would never put gas in the block!

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
We just used a parts, pressure washer in a rotisserie with a solvent/detergent under very hot water for a long period: Bits almost shine.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Now I can tell you are just trying to boost your post count!

Find old threads and interject 'quality' replys...besides that *$%!& pete has reached 5k posts...

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
He does not work for a living.

So no wonder his post count is so high.

He's has more than Andrew!

Say what was the original purpose of this thread?

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
He does not work for a living.

So no wonder his post count is so high.

He's has more than Andrew!

Say what was the original purpose of this thread?

Proper/stooges means to clean a gear box etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts