Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK this is the third round. Rules are, post a hard Ferrari question and give users at least a day to answer. Try to keep it 1-5 questions/post.

We'll start easy and get harder so here goes:

Why is the boxer engine called this?

·
Registered
187 Posts
The motion of the pistons, opposed to each other in a 'flat' engine, moving back and forth much like those of a boxers fists. If I am not mistaken, a true boxer engine has a 180 degree crankshaft.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spasso said:
The motion of the pistons, opposed to each other in a 'flat' engine, moving back and forth much like those of a boxers fists. If I am not mistaken, a true boxer engine has a 180 degree crankshaft.
A+ for you. And yes it does have a 180 (and is still considered a V12) but because it is 180 the V is well, FLAT!

OK who wants to go next?

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
He was a race car driver

right now not certain wich years for Ferrari an with what models (also too lazy to look it up at the moment)
but in 1967 he drove for Ford with the GT40 Mark IV's

·
Registered
504 Posts
Wrong answer. His racing was an avocation, most notably winning the Targa Florio three times ('65/ Ferrari 275P2, '71/Alfa Romeo 33/3 & '75/Alfa Romeo 33TT).

So, what did he do for a living?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I already thought that was too easy.

He was teacher and headmaster of a school wasn't he? Atleast he was when he started his career, I couldn't find any later info on such short notice.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
In 1959 Ferrari introduced a protoype with an 850 cc engine. It was used by Enzo himself, and later disappeared. However, this wasn't the end of the project. What new marque started to build the productioncars of that prototype? These productioncars had 985 cc engines.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Gioacchino Colombo
engine designer
he designed the Type 158 engine for the Alfetta's and designed the first V12 Ferrari engine and went back to Alfa in 1950

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mr. Ferrari's secetary and team manager

·
Registered
504 Posts
Dj Dirk said:
Gioacchino Colombo
engine designer
he designed the Type 158 engine for the Alfetta's and designed the first V12 Ferrari engine and went back to Alfa in 1950
You are right about Colombo, but I was asking about Vittorio Jano. I should have been more specific...

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
krasnavian said:
Dj Dirk said:
Gioacchino Colombo
engine designer
You are right about Colombo, but I was asking about Vittorio Jano. I should have been more specific...
Jano didn't came over with Ferrari from Alfa, they did worked together there yes.
Jano came over in 1955 from Lancia when Ferrari bought the D50's cuz of the financial difficulties Lancia was in at the time

·
Registered
504 Posts
From whence came the windshield for the fabulous Thomassima, which was designed and built by Tom Meade using a Ferrari chassis and mechanicals?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Dj Dirk said:
krasnavian said:
Dj Dirk said:
Gioacchino Colombo
engine designer
Jano didn't came over with Ferrari from Alfa, they did worked together there yes.
Jano came over in 1955 from Lancia when Ferrari bought the D50's cuz of the financial difficulties Lancia was in at the time
Correct. As i said, I should have been more specific...

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
krasnavian said:
From whence came the windshield for the fabulous Thomassima, which was designed and built by Tom Meade using a Ferrari chassis and mechanicals?
I never even heard of that car till now. I just found some info, there were 3 built, of which one on a Ferrari-chassis, that is what I could find, nothing about the wind-shield. I have to sleep now. I will search further tomorrow. Thanks for bringing this car up :)

1 - 20 of 91 Posts