Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vin ZFFPR41A0S0100607

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2438997854&category=6212

Hi guys,
I'm looking for a first Ferrari, and this one really strikes my interest. It's on it's 3rd attempt for sale on auction now, other bidders apparently having trouble getting financing, according to the seller.
He's pretty vague about the car's history, claiming not to know much. However, he's provided me with a Magoo's Prepurchase inspection which looks pretty good. It seems to have been in a front end collision, but I don't know much more about it.

I'd really appreciate any information anyone here could give me on this car, or on ways to find out more. I've already run a Carfax as well. Comments are welcomed on this thread, or you can email me privately at [email protected]

Thanks,
Josh Meeks

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I don't know much about buying cars, but the only thing I always hear: NEVER buy a car that had an accident.

Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
776 Posts
My own personal opinion is that I would never buy a car online.
I want to see, feel, touch, smell, hear, and drive it before I buy it.
Anybody can get their mechanic to say a car is "good"; but what is their definition of "good"?
But, that's just me - the Devils Advocate. :evil:

·
Registered
26 Posts
the other thing to keep in mind is that if those miles are accurate, the thing is probably going to be in worse shape mechanically than if it had been driven more, because some of the mechanicals are going to deteriorate from not being in use enough, so a reasonably costly service may be on the horizon for this car. Plus a good respray isn't cheap. I would maybe think of going for one that is more costly but doesn't have any mystery to it.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I don't know about this one. It sounds too good to be true. Needless to say, beautiful car though.

:work:

·
Registered
824 Posts
If the seller is vague, I would run! Ask him if you can inspect the car personally. If he doesn't want you to do that or only after payment is made run even harder!

Just my two cents!

Niels

·
Registered
770 Posts
mchferrari said:
It sounds too good to be true.
Absolutely - and remember golden rule #1 - if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Josh

I've owned a 355 before. Looking at the pics on ebay I'd be really carefull about this car, it just does not look that well cared for (check out the door sill photo , the steering wheel looks like its new or has been replaced recently (Possibly due to the front end impact you mention)). It's also way to cheap for a 95' B. Go see a few 355 examples at a Ferrari dealer before you decide to buy, I'd never buy off the web "sight onseen" the cost of buying a bad car (Especially a high quality car such as a Ferrari) could be huge in terms of repairs/rebuilds, its just not worth the risk in my opinion.

If you need a contact at Ferrari who can talk you through what to look for let me know and I'll email his details.

Dermot : oha:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Never buy a car that's had an accident. Save your money and wait for a good one.

I know our local dealer very well and they have a sub-contractor who does the accident repairs. Ferrari only endorse one jig equipment with the brand name "Carbench". The sub-contractor has been forced to buy the jig. They do not accept anything else for the simple reason, the points or "needles that are used to determine the exact points in the chassis, are made and supplied by Ferrari through their official dealers. Without those needles, the car's chassis will be "off" no matter how good the repair has been done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts