Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From a Dutch paper called "De Telegraaf":

Ferrari is thinking about expanding it's production. The time of delivery won't drop, cause they will only do this when the markets will grow. They are thinking about 7-10 representatives. They hope to close up everything mid next year. This also involves the Maserati department. Di Montezemelo hopes to sell 200-250 Maser's in 2005.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Dr. Bob said:
Yes, but isn't 200 a bit on the low side for Maser's?
If you mean Ferrari is just going to increase the Maser production by 200 that is no big deal. Not much your right but then again I don't know the full numbers they are making now.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Maserati is built in its own factory in Modena. I was lucky to be able to visit it in 2000. It is a totally different operation from Ferrari. At the time of my visit, they had just opened the new "assembly" plant in a new building, leaving the engine plant in the original "old" integrated factory. So in theory Maserati can expand it's prodution capacity. In fact increasing it's production is the key to it's survival. The price of an "equivalent" Ferrari model is 2x that of a Maserati. So simple logic dictate that Maseratis need to be produce more to "break-even".

Ferrari meanwhile has no more space in their current assembly plant. The only way to produce more is to relocate the V12 production line to another building. The volume for the V12s are just too small for that. So I don't see that happening. My last visit to the Maranello factory was in June 2002 and there was no change from the first time I was there in April 2000.

The bread & butter V8 Modenas have spawned a lot more variants than the F355 before it. And the demand just outstrip supply to the point that the waiting list for the 360 Spyder in the US is some 3 years. That is bad for the factory because buyers will migrate to other brands and now that Lamborghini have a model that is direct competition with the Modena, Luca has to think hard and deep whether he should increase production and cut the waiting time to 1 year at the most. But face the risk of making the Modena as "common" as the Porsche.

Perhaps Luca would jsut increase the production by another 10% and that's all. Lessen the waiting list a bit but still maintain the exclusivity of the brand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts