Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Has Ferrari ever used a engine made by the automobile makers in the USA? It has been suggested that they have had but I find that hard to believe. Also, for some of the simple parts--oil filters, belts, and some of the maintances items, are Ferrari parts the only makers of these basic parts? Thanks

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
engine I don't know, but for sure Ferrari has used an automatic gearbox from General Motors

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
The Ferrari engine is what makes a Ferrari. Some of the accessory and emmission control items they did install from American cars. The air pump is a stock GM unit.
When the check valve for the air injection system on my 308 failed, I happened to have an old one from my Jeep laying around that I installed. Wonder how much that thing would have cost if I ordered it through Ferrari?

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Did Maserati use the Enzo engine in the MC12? I'm curious because it was faster than the Enzo around the Top Gear track. If it is genuinely a quicker car, I'm surprised that Ferrari allowed them to make it faster than the Enzo

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Did Maserati use the Enzo engine in the MC12? I'm curious because it was faster than the Enzo around the Top Gear track. If it is genuinely a quicker car, I'm surprised that Ferrari allowed them to make it faster than the Enzo
Yes, it is the same basic engine. The MC12 is a bit faster as it is really designed as a pure race car. The Enzo is more of a road car.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
It's the same basic engine, but detuned on the Maserati MC12.

Interesting that it is heavier than the Enzo, also, and still faster around the Top Gear track.

From what they said, it's because of the tires: Enzo uses Bridgestone, while the MC12 uses Pirelli

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
It's the same basic engine, but detuned on the Maserati MC12.

Interesting that it is heavier than the Enzo, also, and still faster around the Top Gear track.

From what they said, it's because of the tires: Enzo uses Bridgestone, while the MC12 uses Pirelli
I wasn't sure if Ferrari had to bring out the FXX to make sure that MC12 didn't upstage the Enzo

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
not necessary, really

just put Pirellis on the Enzo and it kicks the MC12 right on the @$$ hehehehe

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
In that case, why didn't Ferrari fit Pirelli's as standard? I've heard it's also the case with the F430. Is it something to do with their F1 contract?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts