Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In going ahead with the production of the Ferrari California (which was initially a Maserati project)?

Has Ferrari sold out and headed down the mass production road? It seems that this car will be softer and easier to drive than any other Ferrari ever built.

Is a folding metal hard top really something a Ferrari should be fitted with ?

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
A year or two down the road, I envision eager to buy Japanese drivers flouting their newly acquired F-California zipping the streets of Tokyo. To answer your ??? my answer is a yes. Fiat Ferrari is doing something quite similar to what MB did w/ their SL into SLK. Very disappointing decision. Years ago, Abarth went the same path and got absorbed by Fiat. Modern days Abarth is simply a slightly tuned Fiat w/ virtually nothing that resembles the spirit of original Abarths. I certainly do not wish Ferrari to sink in the same hole as Abarth but somehow the tide is heading in the wrong direction, it seems. Personally, I am bored w/ the wind tunnel designed, carbon copies that these so called designers are churning out. Not exciting to me at all. Jimmy

·
Registered
265 Posts
In going ahead with the production of the Ferrari California (which was initially a Maserati project)?

Has Ferrari sold out and headed down the mass production road? It seems that this car will be softer and easier to drive than any other Ferrari ever built.

Is a folding metal hard top really something a Ferrari should be fitted with ?
Dear Comrade Boxer,

Could it be that Ferrari is to metamorphose into a glitzy 'Designer Label' with the name 'Ferrari' presently so evocatively euphonious to enthusiasts ultimately to become exploited to the extent that it will become a mere euphimism for motoring jewellery? Just a thought.

With kind regards,

Vulcan

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Vulcan has summed it up prefectly: Motoring jewellery

Whatever we think about Ferrari and what it should be, remember that FIAT are a business, they are in business to make big profits for their shareholders. Most of us are in business and want to make more money for our shareholders too, so why should FIAT be any different? They have probably looked at the vast profit Porsche has made in recent years, in fact Porsche is so profitable it can buy the VAG group and own brands like Bugatti, Bentley, Lamborghini as well as Audi & VW.
FIAT want some of the action too. Whilst we may not like it, we aren't going to stop them. Ferrari is FIAT's Chanel or Louis Vuiton and they want to market the label to the widest audience possible. Maserati, Alfa or Lancia does not havethe same appeal as Ferrari, and when they are up against a German backed Lamborghini or Porsche they will use their strongest label to draw in the sales and ultimately the profits.

I don't like the California and wouldn't buy one if I had the cash. I'll be happy with another 328 safe in the knowledge that Enzo was the man in charge when it rolled out of Maranello.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I read the heading of the thread and thought all the production had already sold... :)

The question you're asking is the one that every petrolhead in general, and Ferrari-head in particular has been asking themselves.

I though this EVO article was very interesting as it addresses this very issue.

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/225024/ferrari-california.html

After reading it, I feel a little bit vindicated as Ferrari Sportscar Fan but I haven't let my guard down yet. Let's see what the first road tests say. One thing is for sure: this is an amazing roller coaster time for Ferrari - this launch is more controversial than anything in a long time, and the end result could be not quite what they bargained for...

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Onno, read the article and really it didn't convince me. Read this!

The exhaust, conversely, has been designed so as not to be too intrusive when the roof is down, but one of the disappointments for those with keen eyes will be that those controversial stacked exhausts are in fact dummies – the real exhaust outlets hide inside them and look nothing like as meaty as you’d expect on a car like this.

FAKE EXHAUSTS?????????????????????

give me a break!!

what's next? spineer wheels? neon under the car?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Vulcan has summed it up prefectly: Motoring jewellery

Whatever we think about Ferrari and what it should be, remember that FIAT are a business, they are in business to make big profits for their shareholders. Most of us are in business and want to make more money for our shareholders too, so why should FIAT be any different? They have probably looked at the vast profit Porsche has made in recent years, in fact Porsche is so profitable it can buy the VAG group and own brands like Bugatti, Bentley, Lamborghini as well as Audi & VW.
FIAT want some of the action too. Whilst we may not like it, we aren't going to stop them. Ferrari is FIAT's Chanel or Louis Vuiton and they want to market the label to the widest audience possible. Maserati, Alfa or Lancia does not havethe same appeal as Ferrari, and when they are up against a German backed Lamborghini or Porsche they will use their strongest label to draw in the sales and ultimately the profits.

I don't like the California and wouldn't buy one if I had the cash. I'll be happy with another 328 safe in the knowledge that Enzo was the man in charge when it rolled out of Maranello.
A-Man, Archie.
Hope when all this credit madness clears, you get another your 550.
With Regrads,
Mark:)

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
FAKE EXHAUSTS?????????????????????

give me a break!!

what's next? spineer wheels? neon under the car?
On this, I could not agree more, Stile. Really sad, although I do believe that it is instigated by EU sound emission regulations rather than anything else. Nevertheless, they should have found a different solution.

But I don't want to judge a book on its cover, for me the jury is still out but the guy was found standing in a pool of blood with the knife in his hand. He might just get the death sentence.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I read the heading of the thread and thought all the production had already sold... :)

The question you're asking is the one that every petrolhead in general, and Ferrari-head in particular has been asking themselves.

I though this EVO article was very interesting as it addresses this very issue.

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/225024/ferrari-california.html

After reading it, I feel a little bit vindicated as Ferrari Sportscar Fan but I haven't let my guard down yet. Let's see what the first road tests say. One thing is for sure: this is an amazing roller coaster time for Ferrari - this launch is more controversial than anything in a long time, and the end result could be not quite what they bargained for...

Onno
Hi everyone,

The line in the EVO article that stood out was about the average usage expected to be 12000 miles per year.

An everyday Ferrari? That's traditional Porsche territory.

Higher volume may equal higher profit which means hopefully more sustainable business. But at the expense of uniqueness.

·
Registered
532 Posts
i think every one is taking this the wrong way, i actually beleive in what there doing alittle bit, i read just two days ago on ferrariworld.com about schumacher developing this car. he had nothing bad to say about it, he said yea sure its not meant to be a full on racer hince the 430 scuderia, but its meant to be a little bit more harsh than a 612 scaglietti. he also stated that this car in no way will not live up to its FERRARI badge. i dont think theyve really gone a step down with this one, i think there just trying a different aproach on types of cars, who knows maybe in the future they wont keep this kindof layout for a car. if you want to read what i read just go to google.com ad try to find the article on it with schumacher.

most respect.:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dear Comrade Boxer,

Could it be that Ferrari is to metamorphose into a glitzy 'Designer Label' with the name 'Ferrari' presently so evocatively euphonious to enthusiasts ultimately to become exploited to the extent that it will become a mere euphimism for motoring jewellery? Just a thought.

With kind regards,

Vulcan
next they'll be opening up clothing and accessory boutiques and licensing off the rights to use the logo to fashion designers and anyone else interested in cashing in on the history of the brand...last straw will be a "Ferrari Cologne"!

...wait a minute, this all happened long ago and Ferrari has already become an established "Designer Label" :)

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At the end of the day, it is too bad that Ferrari did this. Had they kept the project as a Maserati it would have made a terrific replacement for the Maserati Spider which went out of production in 2005. Maserati woudl have gotten excellent PR for producing a more cutting edge sports car that was still civilized enough for most buyers. Instead, they slapped a Ferrari badge on it, hiked the price point by $50k and got a lot of poor reviews.

·
Registered
275 Posts
At the end of the day, it is too bad that Ferrari did this. Had they kept the project as a Maserati it would have made a terrific replacement for the Maserati Spider which went out of production in 2005. Maserati woudl have gotten excellent PR for producing a more cutting edge sports car that was still civilized enough for most buyers. Instead, they slapped a Ferrari badge on it, hiked the price point by $50k and got a lot of poor reviews.
Couldn't agree more. One of the core values of the F brand are pure pedagree and authentic history. It seems the marketing department is overcooking it. A lot of examples out there: the classische certification, the california (fake exhausts?), the sometimes rediculous over merchandising, etc. Yes, making money is good but it starts to conflict with the basis on which the brand is built. And in the end that's bad marketing itself.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sold out? I don't think so. In Holland they sold already 50 and I was also offered to do so by prepayment. I have VIP acces to the Ferrari premiere in Paris. Then the truth will come out. I am not so negative about this California. It will not be softer en slower then a 612 for example. The new 430will be released end of 2009. I don't see the problem. The California will be -as I expect- totally Ferrari.

·
Registered
33 Posts
top up, top down

For a couple of years I have had a daily driver with a folding metal roof and its a fantastic option, last week I had an 08 BMW 650i convert for a day and even with triple insulation the top is not as quiet as a folding hardtop!! I love the superamerica but it still does'nt open up as much as a convertible !! I think the option of a folding hardtop is fantastic and It will still be all Ferrari!! Otter

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think they saw how luxury-builder's Bentley and Mercedes had so much success with the Continental GT and SL, (especially with ladies) that they decided to go after a piece of that pie.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts