Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
SInce I only know about my 550, I cannot help you. Sorry.

Just make sure your review the service records, have it inspected by a qualified mechinic, and test drive it before you take cash out of your pocket.

8)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hogster,

OK, I'm a bit biased about the four Weber's in the GTS and GTB. I just love that beautiful hissing/whistling sound they produce. Plus, I've always thought the early, Baptista designed 308's were the best looking.

My research has shown that they produce the most BHP of the three you listed. I may be wrong. Now, the whole purpose behind four valves per cylinder (hence QV) was to boost the bhp that was lost to FI and emmission constraints.

One more thing in favor of a GTS or GTB. I think you'll find they are the least expensive, on average.

Bart gave you the best piece of advice I think you can take. Have a reputable Ferrari mechanic check it. :ex: :ex: Now, I never did drive mine before I bought it but felt very comfortable with the reputations of the dealer and the independent mechanic.

I highly recommend you checking out www.forza.weblobby.com. The gentlemen's name is Peter Sweeney and the mechanic who did my check is Bill Pollard, Sport Auto. I don't get any kick back for referrals; I just have alot of faith in these guys due to my experience with them. Good luck and let us know how your hunt goes!

Forza,

Dane Sander

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dane,

I know what you mean about the carbs. Am I correct stating that those carbs. need tweaking a lot? I do love that style as well. I love the 288GTO the best. I do however, like the F355 too. I learned of a F club in my city that I plan to visit. Do you know many people that work on there own Ferrari's? That is what I am planning to do when I get one. I will be looking into ordering manuals for the model I get. I enjoy working on my own cars.
Take care

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hogster,

Yes, carburetor synchronization is definitely an idiosyncrasy with the GTB and GTS models. Have I ever even attempted to do so? Hell no. :) However, I knew from the mechanical check that the car mechanically was "one of the best he had ever seen" and that included the carburetors.

There is a great deal of experience and a wealth of knowledge in this forum when it comes to self-performed maintenance. Just ask in the tech forum and you will get results. I have not owned my car long enough (since April) to have done anything yet besides add a little coolant; plus, the 30K was just done 1.5K miles ago and the car runs fabulous.

As far as manuals, the best thing to do is run a search for them on the web. I know there's a great post in the forum (I believe in the tech portion about specific locations for manuals. I looked into them and they are not cheap!! I think a good one for a 308GTB/GTS will run around $150. I do plan on completing minor services to the car (oil change, spark plugs, maybe even belt and hose replacements) when the times come (and they will). So, I'll be getting a manual as well. Plus, what could be more satisfying than working on your own Ferrari?!? :D I have experience working on a '70 MGB GT but just am not confident enough yet to tackle a car with four Webers instead of two and eight cylinders instead of just four. :D Plus, the consequences are much greater!

I think everyone will agree that a 288 is an unbelievable car and shocked alot of people when it was unveiled. They are just outstanding. I think going to a FCA meet is a great idea. Just remember, when you leave, you'll run and not walk to the computer to start researching how and where you're going to acquire such a great machine!

Hope this helps and please take my advice, spend the $300 and have the car checked out! Keep us posted!

Forza,

Dane

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dane,

I will get it checked when the time is right. Is it still needed to be checked if buying from a dealer? I will be working on my F. I enjoy it!
Still not sure about the webers. or go 328 fuel injection. I do like looking at those coarbs in there. Again thanks for you info.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hogster,

Good question. In my opinion, a good dealer will recommend an inspection by an independent mechanic. Peter Sweeney did exactly that as he wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting into. I had two cars checked. One did not come back with too good of a report or at least one I wasn't comfortable with, the other was near perfect mechanically but with a ding in the front left fender. I went with the near perfect mechanic check and just recently had the dent pushed out by a "Dent Wizard." Also, a good mechanic will cut you a break for doing more than one car and will stop and contact you with any problems that may hinder your decision to buy. You should only be charged with time performed.

I bought my car through Forza at www.forza.weblobby.com with Peter Sweeney and had the checks done by Bill Pollard, Sport Auto. No kick-back for me, just thought I'd offer you a couple of guys with excellent reputations and fair prices. I decided I'd wait for a car just so I could get it from him. He can arrange shipping at a very fair price as well. My car arrived in an enclosed, exotic car carrier for $500USD; about an eight hour drive, too.

There's no doubt that 328's are nice cars. However, I think the majority around here would possibly agree (going out on a limb here) that a carb'd 308 is easier to work on than a FI'd 328. Again, just my opinion.

Plus, if you like to look at those four beautiful pieces of sculpture, you should (must) hear them whistle. Oh Billy... 8)

Forza,

Dane

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dane,

Sounds like a plan. I will check that site. I read that you are new to 308's.
In your studies, do the carb's. hold their tune for a good amount of time?
Can you here those carb's while driving? Are there any mods. to install?
Like better exhaust, intake, cams, things like that. NOT saying I would do that. I like to keep mine orig. My friend has a C5 Corvette and he has all those things to add. Making the car perform much better. Just a thought...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hogster,

Call me old fashioned (if a 30 year old can be!!), but I like to keep things as original as possible. Having said that, though, I really like my Tubi exhaust; installed before I bought the car. It sounds wonderful and nothing like some fart can you see (and hear) on some cars these days. Yes, I do think the carb's hold their synch for some good time but that's really a good question for the tech session since that's where most of the "experts" usually hang out. If you don't ask it, I probably will as you've sparked my interest in knowing.

Oh man, can you ever hear the whistling and breathing of your four buddies from Weber! Put it this way, I don't even turn on the radio whenever I'm driving. It really is something...Try it, you'll like it.

Again, it sounds like we're of the same opinion; the more original, the better. No need to put extra paint on a Monet. Monet liked it just the way he did it and I think the boys at Ferrari feel the same way about their cars. Plus, it's cool to have someone say, "your car is 25 years old, it looks that good and it's original with the expection of the exhaust??" People I've ran into still think 308's are new Ferraris and worth a God-aweful amount of money. I pulled into a service station for gas and heard some "good 'ol boys" saying, "that car's got to be $250K." I laughed and thought if they only knew what I had in my checking account.
:D

Forza,

Dane

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dane,

Man I am getting the message you love 308's. I will look into that car as well. I do love the sounds of those carbs. Can not wait to here my own.

I will post that question....

What are the price ranges for 308's? I seen some from 20,'s to 85,
A dealer in Dallas had one with 5000mls for 85,000. I though it was too high. However very clean. Do not remember the year, it was a few years ago. I would love one with low mls. However, Im would really look at it.
That is a lot of years sitting.

Does you car handle well? Is it handle like a Vette? I owned one and I am trying to get the feeling in my head.

By the way, my name is Darren

Have a good one.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Darren,

Oh yeah, I kind of like 308's but don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of virtually every Ferrari. I like the 308s because they're tough, drop dead gorgeous, absolutely a blast to drive and even comfortable; I'm 6' 1."

$85K for a 308 is out of control. I don't care what kind of shape it's in. You can get a damn nice TR for $85K nowadays. A very nice 308GTB/GTS shouldn't go much past $30K maybe and a very big maybe, $33-35K. Now, the FI'd 308's (i.e. a 308GTSi/GTBi) should be cheaper due to the loss in bhp (about 50-60 from the GTB/GTS's) because of emissions and of course, the fuel injection. However, I've read that they are a bit more reliable because of the FI. In my opinion, it's all in how the car was taken care of from day one. Nice QV's are in the $30K-37K range whereas 328's can go as high as $40-45K.

As far as mileage... Any car should have service documentation with it. I've always been wary of very, very low mileage cars. These cars haven't been driven and hoses and belts will dry rot over time. My car has 26K miles on it and has documentation. This was one requirement I set as I started looking. Same goes for high mile cars. When was the last major service done? Believe it or not, a car with even 100K miles on it may be more desirable than one with less than 10K. My little car LOVES to be driven on the open road. It just isn't as happy in town! 308's are very user friendly. Comfortable, not heavy, good visibility, decent gas mileage and of course, great looking. On the other hand, TR's are heavier, more difficult to drive in town and of course, 12 cylinders at 5.0L! Don't get me wrong, 12 cylinders rock (just ask Bart, he LOVES his 550 and drives it frequently).

I, too, had a Corvette (a '95) and it was a nice car but not a great car. It was a pain in the a$$ to get in and out of but had a great engine. Straight line speed from 0-60, hands down the 'Vette but as far pure driving pleasure, my 308. No doubt about it. Edward Gault just bought a Corvette and still has his 308. He'd be good to ask for a comparison as well.

I compare my little car to my two stroke Tony Kart I used to race (and fix... :-? ). Both are low to the ground, turn on a dime, stiff, lack power steering and a blast a drive. BTW, are you looking for a daily driver??

Just buy a Ferrari. Forget everything else. You won't regret it. If you're not satisfied, I'll take the car off your hands. :D :D

Forza Ferrari,

Dane

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know I would love it. I always wanted a few. I am learning much on this site. I would want something with low miles, very clean with docs. for sure! I think I would go for the 308GTS. Still looking into the F355, and Boxer. I always loved the look of the 308's. (I like the old look) I like to watch Magnum PI just to see it on TV.
When I was a member of a race car club (F fords) we would work the track for a Ferrari club out in L.I. The racing was great to see. Brand new TR's spinning off the track and 308's, 328"s, AND I seen live a 288GTO. What a car.... I did see some boxers as well.
So before I buy, I need to look at those models more.
PS The cars looked better racing on the track then spinning off.

Thanks for the prices and info. Great help!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I recently purchased a 2003 Corvette and if you have never driven the C-5 Corvette 1997-2003 you have not driven a Corvette. They are totally different vehicles than pre C-5 cars. While the 308 is a fun car and turns heads, it is not in the class nor is there any comparison to a C-5 Corvette. There are light years of differences. If you are interested in a 308 then mine is for sale. You can contact me if interested. I am not anti-Ferrari by any means but the truth is the truth. The closest competition that Ferrari has to a new Corvette is a 360 and it is over tripple the purchase price and has only a fraction more performance numbers, not to mention that at 100,000 miles the Corvette will have needed only oil changes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ed,

I have driven those Vettes. Very nice! Did you try the Z06? That is even better. However, there are mods. to make the C5's like it.
I have been reading this site and see comments about repairs, idle problems, and services that need to be completed. It does not sound like the 308's run very well. Although I read that some do. I am just starting to do my home work on these models. I always wanted to own a 308QV or 328's. I realize they are nowhere close to a Vette. AND you are correct, that 350 will run for a long time. So I will learn what I can and make a buy when ready.
What are the details of yours?

Darren

·
Registered
454 Posts
Ed,

It's easy to see you're a C-5 fan! :) I just think it's hard to compare a 2003 Corvette with a 20-25 year-old 308, though. I'd never compare a 360 or even a 575 with a 76 Stingray. O.K., O.K., then there's price. Different era's, different cars and different philosophies.

I've never owned a newer C-5 but did drive a friend's 2000. Very fast, very nice car, no doubt. To me, it's the entire experience. What is funner to drive, addicting and puts a smile on your face. Having owned a 95 LT-1, I can easily say my little GTB satisfies all three of the above much more so than the LT-1 and it's 300bhp.

If you're looking for the most 0-60, 1/4 mile performance for your buck, buy a car like a Firebird. 310 bhp for $23K isn't too bad...That's less than a Honda Odyssey! Will it make you happy, who knows.

Just my two cents. :)

Forza,

Dane

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 82 308 is probably as close to a modern car operation wise as any Ferrari made today. I have added the distributorless ignition and there are no more moving and expensive ignition parts to replace. As most of you know I also replaced the original timing belt pulleys and belts with the newer HTD timing belts and pulleys identical to the type used on most all Japanese cars with a life expectancy of around 100,000 miles. The engine has been rebuilt, all coolant and oil hoses have been replaced. Fuel tank lines are new as wellas a new interior and paint. I built the car to be a everyday driver and feel that I have succeded. There are no running or driving issues at all. The car starts well cold or hot and fast idles for a few minutes when cold and then settles down to a nice smooth idle after about a mile of driving. The A/C works perfectly and has no freon leaks. The compressor and compressor clutch are new. The engine clutch was replaced when the engine was out for the overhaul. The Transmission is perfectly smooth and there are no syncronizer issues at all. The engine and transmission are leak free. No expense was spared to bring this car to daily use standards. I have over $20,000 in parts receipts alone. If you are looking for a car that you will not have to spend a fortune on after you get it home this car is for you. I have saved you the trouble and spent a fortune on it myself. You can E-Mail me for Picture or to answer any further questions. The car is in S.C. and lives in my garage and is driven regularly. It has around 3500 miles on it since all the work was done to it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts