Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to purchase a used 456 and I'm curious about others who may own or owned this car. What changes have been made thru out the years of production? What should I look for? What should I be aware of? Is it a good everyday car? Average amount spent yearly on maintenance? What year should I consider? Any response to these question would be helpful. Also, if you have more insight, that would also be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Good luck with the 456. Several people on here have owned that car. Good luck with the search:)

Chris

·
Registered
374 Posts
Welcome, I think Boxer has some experience with that car. Good luck! :cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts

the auto trans is hard to fix AND THE PARTS ARE EXPENSIVE AND NOT IN PRODUCTION ANYMORE (buy a stick), first generation widows do not seal/seat properly (to me not a big deal). the valves/valve guides are a very soft spot and can be very expensive even for Ferrari. good luck great car love 2+2s

·
Registered
224 Posts

Hi all been away for a while, glad to see every one is still working on all cylinders.

I looked at two 456's LHD models, and I would suggest going for a stick shift M model.

I found this link very useful, as it has pictures to help show what you should look for. http://www.usedcarexpert.co.uk/cars.aspx?numModel=568 . you need to register (free) to print the download (which I have tried to attach but it may not work).

As it worked out I was lucky enough to get a 612 Scaglietti in the end, and am still enjoying every drive.

The key question is why a 456. Other than the four seats, for the money I would suggest there are better models available for the money. But thats just my humbled experience.

Good luck with the hunt, its all part of the experience.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Here are some comments on the 456 GT I sent to a gentlemen here a year or so ago:

On the positive side it is a very comfortable car to drive great distances in. I drove mine from one end of France to the other in a day and did not need an appointment with the chiropraticer afterwards. Engine is terrific; it is fast rather than quick due to the weight of the car. At 100 mph the 456 GT just sits on the highway eating up the miles. 2 adults and 2 kids fit comfortably and it has enough luggage room for a couple of decent size bags. You can even jam 2 adults in the back for short trips. For a 12 cylinder Ferrari, they are reasonable to buy. IMHO, definitely one of Pininfarinas best designs.

On the negative, I thought that they were full depreciated but turned out to be wrong. In the year I had the car, it continued to sink. The window seals are crap and wind noise at high speed is just part of the cars charm. I understand that they more or less fixed this on the 456 M GT. I bought a car with a full service history that had been well cared for by both the prior owners. Despite this I still ended up spending several thousand in maintenance which included a clutch replacement, new horn, minor electrical problem rectifications, seat motor repairs, etc. All in, by far the most expensive Ferrari I have owned.

In the end however the decision to sell was as much based on the personal preference as it was cost. To drive, the 456 GT does a lot of things really well. Probably too well for my taste. It is the only Ferrari I have owned where I always had the stereo on vs the others where I find myself listening to the engine etc. Net net, we did not bond. I had similar experience with the 911.

If you do decide to buy a 456 GT, go through the car with a microscope yourself first. Make sure everything electrical works not only when the car is sitting on the driveway, but also when pushing it hard on the road. Wiring on these can be an issue and connections that seem OK when sitting, come loose the first bump you hit in the road. The rear shocks are another weak point and will need replacing at some point in the 1st decade. Make sure this has been done as it is a $$$$ job. The clutches are fairly strong but when they start to go, the end is quick. Make sure it is in good condition with a lot of life left. The engine mounts and steering rack also degrade over time. One telling sign is if the nose dives when you hit the brakes. Make sure the stereo works properly as they are near impossible to replace. They are no longer made. After you have done all this, then I would get a Ferrari trained mechanic you trust to do a full Pre Purchase Inspection. The cost of fixing anything on a 456 GT is more than the PPI cost.

Hope it helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts