Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying a 412 to complement my Testarossa as a more regular 2+2 vehicle. I'd appreciate owners' experiences of this model as it seems to get nothing but negative comments from the press and I don't tend to believe it all. I don't approach Ferraris with rose-tinted glasses just because of the marque's kudos but for all their faults there must be something good to say about them! I've driven a few and OK they're not modern GTs by any means but they still have a Ferrari character lurking there.

Any advice would be appreciated even if it's don't bother!

Cheers
Stuart

·
Registered
366 Posts

Well, I owned a 400i for a while, and I liked it! The V-12 is a wonderful engine, although quite complicated. With two of just about everything except crankshaft, service is a bit of a challenge. The car itself reminds me of a 6 series BMW - great cruiser, not a hotrod. I don't know what the prices are on 412s these days, but 400s are cheaper than a new Buick. I think they are good deal for a real Ferrari, and did I mention that I loved the V-12? -Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's all in the engine

Thanks Steve

From my brief drive of a 412 I can see they're not out and out sports cars but the engine has a certain magic, it's true. I guess I'll just have to take each individual car on it's own merit and of course I realise there will be bills but my experinece is that the more you use such a car, the more the problems settle down and I intend to use it as a daily car, for better or for worse. Needing 4 seats is the reason I'm considering it rather than for the car per se so I may just go for a 456 instead as the prices are also very low, depends on other members' feedback on the 412.

Regards
Stuart

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
308 GT4 prices are on their way up now. You may even find that you keep it for 3 years and sell it for more than you paid for it. It's very rare you can find a car that doesn't cost you to own.
2/3 yrs ago, they were fetching £10K - £15K, now they are £15K - £23K.
I was offered a concours 1977, 30K miler with full history for £14K 3 yrs ago and declined, I'm kicking myself now:(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
412 vs 308GT4

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I like the 308GT4, I've driven one and I may be one of the few who actually likes the way it looks too. Great interior, especially the dash and I agree they're undervalued. But I'm a 12-cylinder addict so it's gotta be a 412 or 456 I'm afraid.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I USED to think that the 308GT4 was ungainly in appearance, but NOW I like the looks! Same goes for the 400/412! I guess they do grow on ya!! Just my musings! Ciao, Dennis

·
Registered
54 Posts
I USED to think that the 308GT4 was ungainly in appearance, but NOW I like the looks! Same goes for the 400/412! I guess they do grow on ya!! Just my musings! Ciao, Dennis
What do you mean, ungainly?? :D

Yes, mine has definately grown on me.

As for the 400/412, I like the 400 MUCH more than the 412. Nicer looking front, rear deck and wheels, as well as interior....

Hans

Attachments

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Hans, your 308 GT4 looks amazing in black, very stealthy, I think it really suits the shape. I prefer it to the usual red:thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts