Ferrari Life Forum banner

Ferrari 360 modena octane rating

7K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  ze_shark 
#1 ·
Does someone out there have information if the 91 octane at the pump is adequate for the 360 full throttle application? Does anyone know what octane rating is used to produce the factory hp and torq. Please be specific with R or M or the average ratings.

Thanks a Bunch!

Discussion starter · #3 ·
phatdiablo said:
im sure it would be a minimum 98RON
it is for most sports cars. just remember the fuel quality varies between countries.
Thanks for your reply! I noticed in the owners manual Ferrari specify "Unleaded fuel 95 O.N." Doesn't say if it is the research or Motor number. I wonder if that's the number in Italy???

I am surprised no one has experienced with this so far. The low octane rating at the pump could severly damper HP and Torq and could damage engine at full throttle openings for extended periods.

Cheers,

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Thaks Azzurro, I have had a chance to talk with Rockt racing fuel and he suggested similar situation. Since I drive my 360 mostly under full throttle conditions I got worried and wanted to make sure I can compensate for it by mixing racing fuel in my tank. He did suggest to run a few tests that I am not able to do with the information I have today. He suggested to run the car from 30 - 60 MPH or there about in one gear under full thorottle (if that constitudes to highest torq output, in the case of 360 I don't know???) and time the car with different mixtures to come up with the optimum octane rating in the tank. He said he ran this with his own car and found a 4 to 1 mixture of 91 and 100 octane respectively will give him the optimum time and anymore than that i.e. more than 25% mixture of 100 octane will cost money w/o any gain for the engine. I am going to start experimenting this in a few days and will report the results.
Thanks again for your input.

Cheers,

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Azzurro California,

I just had an opportunity to read through the reference site you had forwarded. Great material, I enjoyed reading through most of it.
Long ago when I bought my first hot rod (68 Camero SS) with 396 cu.in and pop up pistons (12:1 compression)... We knew that ignition was set too advanced when the engine knocked, what I didn't know was that dialing the timing back (retarding) leads to lower octane requirement. So, when we were racing, we would get out, advance the timing, do the race and then dial it back to normal... GREAT reference matrail! Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.