Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I've tried to get my 348 out of the garage and the gas and breaks pedals were way too hard. It was hard to drive it out and back in. Any suggestions?
Thank you.

Marly :)

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
This morning I've tried to get my 348 out of the garage and the gas and breaks pedals were way too hard. It was hard to drive it out and back in. Any suggestions?
Thank you.

Marly :)

We need a bit more info

Are you saying your pedals are harder to press?

If so I know that the gas cable can sometimes get gunk-ed up in the rail a little lube and elbow grease should help, also check the engine bay to make sure it is not bound up.

But as far as brake and gas pedal???? that sounds odd they work independent of each other the only thing I can think of is to actualy check and see if there is anything binding them up such as loose wires, debris, carpet.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
That is quite the toy to get for a settlement, all I can say is stay on this site and read and ask as much as you can about the car, it is a wonderful machine but it can bite you in the A$$.

So now I assume that there is nothing wrong with the pedals you are just not use to them, they are very very stiff that is all...:)

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Differant yes, but hard?? I've driven many types and styles of car but never associated the 348 gas pedal with "hard". I assume you would have noticed the difficulty steering it first. There's no power steering in the 348. Its exceedingly difficuly at low speeds. Brake pedal, maybe...all cars feel differant there. Gas pedal confuses me. Is it possible that you are depressing the wrong end?

Most vehicles build today have a pivot point mounted high in the dash. The 348 has the pivot point at the bottom (on the floor). If you attempt to depress the accelerator on the bottom it will be like trying to open a door from the hinge side. You will need much more effort and it will be difficult to control.

Try putting your heal at the bottom of the pedal and depressing the pedal with your toes.

Its the only thing I can think of short of modifications made by a previous owner (extra springs)

Also, I just noticed that in the picture you provided (in the other thread) the front wheels are on the incorrect sides. The tires are directional and should not be reversed. It appears someone made a mistake in either tire mounting or wheel installation. Please make sure they are rotating correctly as it can be a little dangerous and deffinately not good for the tire.

Nice car...welcome to the site...where are you located?

Lane

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Most vehicles build today have a pivot point mounted high in the dash. The 348 has the pivot point at the bottom (on the floor). If you attempt to depress the accelerator on the bottom it will be like trying to open a door from the hinge side. You will need much more effort and it will be difficult to control.

Lane
Good one Saint I never thought of that

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow you've noticed that the wheels are switched? To switch them back...is it like any other car or do I have to take to the Ferrari dealer?
The steering is terrible...I think I would get in a car accident if I drive it around those Florida drivers....lol...
To tell you the truth I have no intention to drive the car...maybe just down the street as necessary. It doesn't bother me. It's in the garage and it's covered.
I'm in Southwest Florida.
ONE IMPORTANT QUESTION: How do I adjust the seat? My feet can barely touch the pedals. I looked everywhere, but can't find the way to move the seat.
I imagine insurance for it is a fortune...It has no insurance right now.
Yes, this website is already bookmarked. It's very informative and the people are great.
Thank you guys.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why would you want the 348 if you don't want to drive it let alone insure it?

Chris

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
OK...one at a time

Wheels are wheels are wheels..anyone can switch them. Please look at the arrow on the tire to make sure they were not mounted wrong. The arrow should point in the direction of rotation (if moving forward)

The steering sucks only when the car is not moving. Any motion at all and it gets easy fast. Not as bad as you think.

The seat adjustment is a handle that runs side to side in front of the seat. It is often covered by those "could fit better" carpets provided by Ferrari. If you pull the throw rug up, you'll find it. Thats going to fix your "hard gas pedal" problem.

Insurance is MUCH cheaper than both my other cars. It doesn't get expensive until the car is 20...thats when you have to look for classic car insurance. If you do your shopping, its not bad at all. In fact many FerrariLife users report a premium lower than there daily driver.

Its your car, do what you like, but please don't NOT drive it. These cars do not store well. They are meant to be driven often. Failure to do so causes bad things like Flat spots on the timing belts and tires, dry seals causing endless leaks, and a myriad of other potentialy expensive problems. If you drive it once per weekend for a short jaunt you will learn to drive it well and find that you absolutely love it. The 348 is a VERY passionate car in both appearance and performance. Let it wooh you. Trust me, it will.

If you choose to cash in on it, let us know. We here have access to many potential Ferrari enthusiests that would adore a car like that. To me, its important to find a buyer that will love it like it was intended. Selling to some "Joe" with more money than brains is a bad idea.

Good luck
Lane

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Now I've got you thinking I'm smart

mmmmwwwhhaaaahahaha.....Its all part of my plan

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm keeping the car until I need $$$$. The insurance will cost me $600/year. I have decided to insure the car as I'm in Florida and I want the car to be covered just in case a hurricane destroys my garage....:(

You guys have been very helpful. Thank you!

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
I'm keeping the car until I need $$$$. The insurance will cost me $600/year. I have decided to insure the car as I'm in Florida and I want the car to be covered just in case a hurricane destroys my garage....:(

You guys have been very helpful. Thank you!
Please make sure you drive it for at least 20-30 minutes every other week. If you sit the car in the garage all sorts of bad, very expensive, things will develop.

As you are not comfortable driving it right now, suggest you hire a professional driving instructor to take you out for a few hours. Once you get comfortable, they are great cars to drive. Your local Ferrari owners club should be able to recommend someone:

http://www.fcafloridaregion.com/

http://www.focfloridaregion.com/

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I am sure you can Hire Chris to drive your car every week...:D

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I am sure you can Hire Chris to drive your car every week...:D
I would not only drive the car every week, I would do it for free:D

Chris

·
Registered
3,874 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm here again. The car is still in the garage and I'm terrified of driving it. I didn't even get the registration yet as I refuse to drive it to the motor vehicle.

Would you please tell me what kind of regular maintenance should be performed on a monthly/yearly basis?

Thank you for referring me to the Florida Ferrari. I will contact them.
Thank you for ALL your help. :)
Marly

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Your saying the car has been sitting in the garage unused for 3 months now....... Your saying you are "afraid" of the car....... The big question is why do you own it?

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
my advice is: sell this car ASAP, you're not doing any good to anyone (specially to the car) letting it sit in your garage

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
my advice is: sell this car ASAP, you're not doing any good to anyone (specially to the car) letting it sit in your garage
I second Stiles opinion

These cars have to be driven often or major problems will occur if they have not already.

This car is too special to let sit in a garage I'm sure that there is someone out there that will take incredible pride and care for your baby.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts