Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Going through the UK classifieds recently, I noticed that 2002-2004 Maserati Spyders and 90-93 348 GTBs are now almost exactly the same price.

Which is the better buy ?
Depends on what you have already, I think, Boxer. I've got three closed cars - a Spyder would do nicely for me!

As for the technical aspect - I'm not sure which is the better car. I think you should certainly make sure you don't get the semi-automatic gearbox in the Maserati as I've heard bad stories about them (too jerky, hopeless in traffic).

If you would want a sporty car, the 348 would definitely be the better choice. And especially if you don't have a Ferrari yet!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I agree with Onno, it depends what you have and what you want.

As for depreciation, I think the Maserati still has a long way to go, whereas the 348 should be fully depreciated now. I don't know how the Maserati compares to tthe 348 for reliability, maintenance and servicing costs. However, I have heard that people have clocked up 100K plus miles in Maserati's without too many problems.

Personally, I wouldn't have either if I could only afford to buy and run one classic Italian car. I would have to go for another 328GTS

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Yesyes, we know Archie. :D

Onno
Just making sure I don't forget. I'm a big believer in making sure you tell the world about your dreams and goals, that way you have to make sure they happen.

Back to the original question, if I was going to buy a 348, it would have to be a TS/GTS. I like cars where the roof comes off. I'm now on my 10th convertible having just sold the Alfa Spider and bought another MGF VVC

·
Registered
603 Posts
Going through the UK classifieds recently, I noticed that 2002-2004 Maserati Spyders and 90-93 348 GTBs are now almost exactly the same price.

Which is the better buy ?
If you already have a Ferrari, the Maser would be nice. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I own a Maserati Spyder since 2002 and have driven the Ferrari 348 only once, so I have to say more about the Maserati. I had no technical issues at all with the Maserati, the only bad things you hear are about the Cambiocorsa gearbox. I assume that go for the manual version anyway. Test the gearbox when the engine is cold, in some cars you might have problems with the second gear when cold. The Maser has more room in the cabin and in the trunk. The Ferrari might handle better at limit, but the Spyer has more qualities as a tourer. I once drove from Switzerland to Modena back to back with my Spyder and a 348 Spider and I arrived in a more relaxed shape.

As there is no direct sucessor to the Maserati Spyder (the upcoming Maserati Spyder will be a 4-seater, the spiritual successor with the same concept will be the California at a double the price), I expect that prices should not fall dramatically from the current level.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When my wife decided she wanted a convertible I couldn't talk her into a Mondial t because she didn't drive a manual and "didn't want to learn on a Ferrari." She drove a low-miles (but second clutch) Maserati spyder and wasn't wowed. She told me she thought she would feel more "planted" in a Porsche or a Benz. She got mid-miles SL500 instead and hasn't stopped smiling.

If it were me, I'd probably go for the Mondial over the 348 or the Maser, but not by much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts