Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much though im leaning towards a 328 as my first Ferrari purchase. There are a number of reasons for this decision. Better to crawl before i walk.
The 1989 model has some improvements over the previous 328s. Price somewhat higher, but i would prefer to get the last year of production. What would be the desirable mileage for a 1989 model? Seems that prices have dropped on this model & would be a good time to buy. Alot of them up for sale.
Please give me some imput on my decision. Not worried so much as to the cost of a Ferrari, but i am concerned about the reliability & maintenance cost.
I have always liked the styling of the 328 & the looks are timeless.
Another concern i have is that there is no Ferrari dealer in my area. Getting service would be somewhat an inconvience.
All imput would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Not too sure

I want a 328 or such just out of a bucket-list needing a check mark.

However, for a very nice one, with service within last year, and ABS, I'm guessing from a GOOD reliable seller/owner

GTS ~ 30-55K, unless cherry, where still in the 60's...
if from a questionable history, deduct another 5-10k easy

GTB, about 5-10 k less from the above

and yes, I think prices are getting better.

here's the problem, finding a well sorted, not-much issue, well documented model

Many to be had...far too many to be had by.

MAKE SURE you do a PPI....

PS: Don't buy a southern, or northern model....try AZ/CA/WA or other dryer area.

·
Registered
224 Posts
What ever you choose, enjoy the search, its part of the journey and a great experience if you let it. Don't rush, the guys on this site are a great help, there is a wealth of knowlegde.

Personnally on a mileage point, it depends on whether you expect to add a lot yourself, and how long you expect to keep it. For me, I plan to keep mine for a while, and will be adding lots of miles (for a Ferrari). I understand in the US higher mileage is frowned upon, but if a car is garaged for 11 months of the year, and not getting used, they can be in a worse state than if run on a regular basis and properly serviced.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
well, since you mentioned it, we should re-visit some issues.

High mileage: I LIKE it, as I know it has been driven, and I planned to keep mine. Re-do of the leather is not that expensive....truly, you can get a class-act, custom job installed for about $5k all about, and in the two-seater models will include possibly the carpeting and dash...in my four seaters, it is another $2k for carpeting and side/dash leathers, which I feel are ok .. but, mine is newer.

A well driven and cared for car will have many issues resolved or addressed and that is what you want. Grarage queens are NOT bargains...even in the looks department as the leather will probably be marginal on such an older vehicle.

IF the car isn't driven much those seals, etc.etc. will not function properly and you'll be asking for other stuff....the car needs to be brought to temp and run, and then cooled down and put away with THEN addressing/primping down its hide/coat etc. [I swear, these are like living horses...including the term 'hay burners' ].

I would first, and you probably already have, purchased for $5 bucks the buyers guide....AND many other guides to know the history...BUT the key, and I assume you have gone there too, is the 'THINGS/Issues to look out for' checklist.

and like JJS612 says, the journey is worth it....

HOW long have you been into this process?

·
Registered
453 Posts
The 328 is a mighty car dude. They are very easy to home service and the belts take maybe 2 hours with the engine in because its a transverse fit (side ways:D). I found the hardest thing to do was change the spark plugs on the bulk head side because there is so little room. Though in your tool bag there should be a special spark plug tool to help make it easier. And for crying out loud dont try and change the plugs near the bulk head with the engine lid on, because its bloody tight with it on. Take it of and there is a little more room that is a blessing:thumbsup:
As far as power goes, even though you will enjoy the car for what it is. I always found myself wishing that it had more. I changed out my standard exhaust system to a SS aftermarket one and used K&Ns which helped a little. But it will never be a fire breathing monster, though i regularly took it to approx 160 mph....did i say i did this regularly:D:D. Personally though my all time Fav Ferrari is the 246 Dino, so dont think that i am a power hungry owner;);)
Now the only problems that i found inside the 328 was these. The first week i keeped putting the gear box into reverse because its a dog leg box and the reverse is were the first would be on an every day car. And there is no reverse lock on these cars. A shot backwards a couple of times:yikes: But i soon learned quickly not to:D
The second problem is that being 6ft tall the gear stick keeped hitting my leg, in fact it rested against my leg when in 5th gear. This i found aggravating. Also sitting in the seat with my roof on there was exactly one inch above my head. And going over bumps my hair would touch the roof. And there was no way in hell that my roof could be stowed behind my seat to allow me to drive comfortably.
It also handles quite well so there are no complaints there. I personally wanted bigger wheels than the standard 16ins, so i bought a set of 18in split rim Compermotives. I did this more for moderner looks than anything else, but i could tell it handled better all round.
And finally the ABS was great IMO. But forget about the air-con dude, even though its cool it coughs air forward like a sparrow with asthma:D
Hope this helps:thumbsup:.....or maybe not:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
blah, AC...who needs cup holders, spare tires, or seat belts: it's a 328.....

<enter music from Magnum>

which brings up another thingie: the constant 'hey Magnum' comments....:furious:

usually always from a NASCAR officianado

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gcalo i have always pictured Ferrari's as red in color. After seeing your 360 that is pure class & elegance.:thumbsup: Are you Italian? Reason i ask is because you look like a Grasso.:happy2:

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Well it surely is an unusual color.

Fewer then 30 total 360's were sprayed in Azzuro california. There are 8 coupes and about 10 spiders in the US.

Family is Eastern European but I do really like pasta. Does that count?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it surely is an unusual color.

Fewer then 30 total 360's were sprayed in Azzuro california. There are 8 coupes and about 10 spiders in the US.

Family is Eastern European but I do really like pasta. Does that count?
If you eat pasta & own a Ferrari you certainly qualify.:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts