Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In today's Wall Street Journal is an artical about the high end cars. There is a picture of a red 430 with this caption. The 430. Ferrari's new "entry level" car...

Golly gee, I wonder if they have 0% financing, wheel & deal on the price, and give a couple of options away?

8)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well... I don't know about that. But, I did get a free hot dog and soda when I went into the show room.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
:nuts: I think WSJ perception is a little off. A price of $170,000 is still in the elite level of automobile pricing. Actually that is more than most people's homes.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Not if you live in New York. That'd get you a 250 square foot apartment. For anything decent you're looking at LEAST 600K. Then again that's about what you need to spend here in LA as well. And even then you're only looking at about 1,100sqf and no lawn what so ever. I'm sure San Fran isn't much better.

·
Registered
895 Posts
senna21 said:
Not if you live in New York. That'd get you a 250 square foot apartment. For anything decent you're looking at LEAST 600K. Then again that's about what you need to spend here in LA as well. And even then you're only looking at about 1,100sqf and no lawn what so ever. I'm sure San Fran isn't much better.
So true...SF hosing is astrinomical. Little to no yard space, and a standard unrestored 1940's home will go for 600-700K. The market has cooled of a little, but it's still amazingly high.

Entry level isn't exactly the right word for the F430...

·
Registered
900 Posts
Cheaper is relative! :wink:
Bentley may have shifted to a cheaper model with the CoGT, but the F430 is nothing cheaper as far as entry level Ferrari goes.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
well, the article is right about 1 thing then
it is the entry level car, so if you walk into a dealer, that IS the "cheapest" car in their point of vieuw

but calling it cheaper?
i wouldn't go that far.
same for the bentley, it isn't cheap, it's just their "cheapest" car that they ever brought onto the market.
but you do get a lot of car for it, over 2 tons and 550hp and a cool interior

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dj Dirk said:
well, the article is right about 1 thing then
it is the entry level car, so if you walk into a dealer, that IS the "cheapest" car in their point of vieuw

but calling it cheaper?
i wouldn't go that far.
same for the bentley, it isn't cheap, it's just their "cheapest" car that they ever brought onto the market.
but you do get a lot of car for it, over 2 tons and 550hp and a cool interior
Agreed. Isn't $170,000 actually a markup from the suggestred retail price of the 360? Also, Ferrari is not going to up production volume right?

As for Bentley, they went downmarket slightly, but $155k is still hell of alot of money. I'm not a fan of the production volume they want, though 9,000 is still exclusive, but they really are at the same level of the entry price of the Ferrari and Lambo entry level cars. Lambo is offering the Gallarado and the king Murcielago, and I heard plans of a third line (?-anyone know what it is and price range?).

Aston Martin, is a company that wants to up production and go more mass-market "price tag" with a new model next year DB9, challenging a higher-end Porchse 911 model. I'm not sure of the production levels.

Mercedes, BMW are the mass-market, cheaper car companies now. A Benz and BMW are losing the prestige they once had. I would consider Maserati the Mercedes of yesterday, with more exclusivity and higher prices. And just beauitful masterpieces. Porsche is an interesting company. They seem to go upmarket with their supercar, the Carrera (?), and a SUV. The volume is rising, but will they become like Benz?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Rosso said:
senna21 said:
So true...SF hosing is astrinomical. Little to no yard space, and a standard unrestored 1940's home will go for 600-700K. The market has cooled of a little, but it's still amazingly high.

Entry level isn't exactly the right word for the F430...
Wow! It seems that housing is high everywhere. I think Vegas is another city experiencing a high boom.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yes, Las Vegas had the highest rise in prices in the country. I think they jumped something like 59%. That's just insane. Here in LA prices last year increased somewhere in the 30% range. We were in second place behind Las Vegas. Some places like Dallas, TX only increased 2%.

But, last month sales for pre-owned homes dropped 2% nationwide. A bit of a slowdown maybe? Who knows. But, I guess if you can afford a house at these kind of prices you'd be able to afford a car at those kind of prices. At least in theory.

Truth is most Americans average around $8,000 in credit card debt alone. I think we might see a bit of a bubble burst in the housing market as people will have overextended themselves once some of these floating rate mortgages start going up. I say, save your pennies and start looking for foreclosures in the next year or two.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Wow, no offense to those living there, but why LA and Las Vegas. I don't see the draw. Is it because housing is affordable when compared to San Francisco and New York that people are moving there so housing is going up?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Enzo250GTO said:
Wow, no offense to those living there, but why LA and Las Vegas. I don't see the draw. Is it because housing is affordable when compared to San Francisco and New York that people are moving there so housing is going up?
I think LA is sky high (and always have been) due to the money that is located their.

Las Vegas is booming due to the jobs. It's the fastest growing city in the nation. I think alot of purchases here are as "second-homes". Vegas, gambling, lifestyle is hotter then ever,

·
Registered
53 Posts
senna21 said:
Truth is most Americans average around $8,000 in credit card debt alone. I think we might see a bit of a bubble burst in the housing market as people will have overextended themselves once some of these floating rate mortgages start going up. I say, save your pennies and start looking for foreclosures in the next year or two.
I noticed alot more "luxury spending" habits by baby boomers. This would include bigger houses, the BMWs and Mercedes. Gucci, ect... Is it because they are richer, spending now without a though for the future (I read boomers are doing this, rather then save for the future as much), and that houses are the primary investment.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Westworld said:
senna21 said:
I noticed alot more "luxury spending" habits by baby boomers. This would include bigger houses, the BMWs and Mercedes. Gucci, ect... Is it because they are richer, spending now without a though for the future (I read boomers are doing this, rather then save for the future as much), and that houses are the primary investment. Or just they think they can afford it, when in reality, they are using credit and paying for it in the long run?

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Re: Ferrai, Bentley Shift Focus to "Cheaper" Model

Bart said:
In today's Wall Street Journal is an artical about the high end cars. There is a picture of a red 430 with this caption. The 430. Ferrari's new "entry level" car...

Golly gee, I wonder if they have 0% financing, wheel & deal on the price, and give a couple of options away?

8)
and next they are going to come out with a Ferrari Visa card with which you can run up points good for your next Ferrari purchase....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: Ferrai, Bentley Shift Focus to "Cheaper" Model

Boxer42 said:
Bart said:

8)
and next they are going to come out with a Ferrari Visa card with which you can run up points good for your next Ferrari purchase....
I hope not.

·
Registered
53 Posts
$8,000 debt was mentioned earlier? What would be the "earning power" of these people? Could we see less wealth in 15-20 years, with the Boomers hitting retirement, and less high-end spending?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts