2,211 Posts
Ferrari by Pininfarina from Cornil
The original Ferrari V8
The original Ferrari V12
and several model specific books

·
Registered
10 Posts
How about the no-frills but hugely useful "Red book" or Ferrari serial Numbers by Hilary Raab Jr...?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
the Raab book is very usefull when you are into serial numbers, I sort of dropped that chapter for now because I'm too busy doing other Ferrari-things, and the fact that keeping track of all types takes too much time, and since I'm several 1000s cars behind when I started, it's hard to get on track. After trying that for 2 years now, I decided I only keep track of some newer models. so I wouldn't really use the raab book if I had it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
1) original ferrari v8 and v12 both by keith bluemel (still eagerly awaiting the 3rd book)
2) 40 years of ferrari v12 engines by w.e. gasich
3) the ferrari legend - 250 gt competition by jess pourret

i've also found cavallino's "otto" and "flat 12" series very informative

·
Registered
613 Posts
There are so many good books. But the one that I'm looking for at this moment: Ferrari 250 GTO by Pourret and Keith Bluemel (1998)
Does one of you have an isbn for me? That might shorten my search...

I'm also looking for a book about the 250 GT SWB California Spider, any thoughts on this one?

Maybe If I can find these books I can give you my best 2 books ;-)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hilary Raab's book is OK, But there are alot of mistakes in it, particular towards the end of the book, The best reference book I have, (Well pair actually) are The Racing Berlinettas & Ferrari - 50 Years on the Track by John Starkey et al. Very accurate, stunning photo's - A bit pricey but worth it. Marvin's Data Bank is OK but out of Date now.

Argento

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
marcos said:
There are so many good books. But the one that I'm looking for at this moment: Ferrari 250 GTO by Pourret and Keith Bluemel (1998)
Theres one on eBay - MOTOR RACING - FERRARI 250 GTO Item number: 160027868763 :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Which of these titles mentioned would you all recommend to a "semi-rookie" who is now getting down to bare bones details of the Ferrari scene? I'm a 19 year old college student who has been in love with cars ever since I could spell the word. I am now getting into the details, history, and vintage/classic models of Ferrari to further my already extensive knowledge and am looking to purchase some books on Ferrari now...any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Books

It depends what sort of information you want - "Stanley Nowak - Ferrari On The Road" has general information on road cars and a long list of chassis numbers, other books are more model specific, such as John Starkey's - Ferrari 250 GT berlinetta TDF, Ferrari 250 GTO by Bluemel and Pourret, or John Godfrey's Ferrari Dino SPs, whilst some are just books of pretty pictures with no chassis numbers, history, etc.
I now have sixty Ferrari books, my first purchase being Dream Machines FERRARI by Godfrey Eaton, my last being the previously mentioned Ferrari 250 GTO by Bluemel and Pourret. Think before you buy and choose a book which gives you the information you want. Looking back now there are a few books bought in my youth that are not specific enough for my current interest.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ahh, thanks for the insight. I'm going to start searching for books now! I'm looking forward to the day when I match your 60 book quota!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ferrari books from Jess G. Pourret & Antoine Prunet

i agree that Pourret and Prunet books should be in any real Ferrari library, these are 4 books from a 5 books set first printed in france (they are both french as i am) the last book being the huge Dino book from Jean-Pierre Gabriel

all were very good books when they were published (first was published back in 1977!!!!!) so they should be updated, at least the last part tracking the cars and their history and owners...

if you need to know more about these books go here http://www.retromobiliart.com

Christophe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts