Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember seeing a black and white photo dating back quite a bit (40's or 50's maybe?). It shows the emotion or lack of emothon of the driver after he learns of his teammates death in a firey crash (F1?). I am not positive it is a Ferrari driver though. You can see dirt on his face where his goggles were placed on his face. It is an amazing photo I would like to view it again. Any of you know what I'm talking about?

Mach5er

·
Registered
52 Posts
Don't know if this helps but I have a little voice in the back of my mind saying it is a picture of Stirling Moss at Zandvoort in Holland. Don't know about him just 'having been told of the death of a teammate' though but I seem to recall there is plume of smoke in the distance from a crash. Possibly a team mate. Piers Courage? Something to do with Williams? Is Frank Williams in the picture talking to Sterling?

Sorry it's only a vague recollection yet I can visualise the picture very clearly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
simonc said:
Don't know if this helps but I have a little voice in the back of my mind saying it is a picture of Stirling Moss at Zandvoort in Holland. Don't know about him just 'having been told of the death of a teammate' though but I seem to recall there is plume of smoke in the distance from a crash. Possibly a team mate. Piers Courage? Something to do with Williams? Is Frank Williams in the picture talking to Sterling?

Sorry it's only a vague recollection yet I can visualise the picture very clearly.
SimonC,
that is sounding like it could be it. Yes, I believe Frank could be talking to him. Ill try to run a search on the internet for it with the provided names.....

wish me luck

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
you migh wanna be find a bit more info on it, cuz there are a few pics like that.
but i do believe it's a ferrari driver, if so then i have the pic (somewhere)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perhaps one of these wrecks:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

His first race for Lotus was at the Dutch Grand Prix in 1960, where he raced in place of John Surtees who was still racing motorcycles at the time. His race was pretty uneventful as he worked his way up to fifth place before he had to retire with a seized gearbox. The next race was at Spa in Belgium. This was the most dangerous course in Grand Prix racing, a 9 mile monster and in 1960 it took the lives of two drivers including Clark's teammate Alan Stacey. Yet in spite of this Clark would manage to finish fifth in his second Grand Prix. The next year was met with limited success and some controversy. At the Italian Grand Prix, Clark's Lotus came into contact with the Ferrari of Wolfgang von Trips. The Ferrari was propelled into the crowed killing several spectators as well as the German driver, Germany's best hope in decades.

-------------------------------------------------------------
I really got no other info. What ever the picture is, it was used by Road & Track for their annual holiday trivia quiz back long ago in the 80's. Sorry I'm so vague on this subject.....

Mach5er

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
i'll look in my archive

in anyway 61 was the year of the 165 F1 Sharknose.
Afterwards Enzo ordered to destroy all the remaining Sharknoses

·
Registered
824 Posts
Courage and Williamson both died at the Zandvoort race track. Years where 1970 and 1973 if my memory is correct. Dutch GP was always held in late July or in the biginning of August.

If you want to have more details on the races, I have to dig up my books.

Niels

1 - 8 of 8 Posts