Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
That model is seeing particular high interest and the pricing shows.

I saw a beauty earlier this year at $118K. I then saw the same car 6 months later sell for $159K.

Apparently the model to find.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I see a few for sale in England around the £65k mark. They have been on sale for ages (since the spring) and there doesn;t seem that much interest.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
I really do not understand why the 512M commands such a huge premium over the 512TR. It is an evolution of the earlier car not a limited edition. And personally the evolution looses the design harmony of the earlier car. If it was a spider, barchetta, or had a carbon fiber body I could understand it, but it does not. Performance is up vs the 512 TR but then again the 550 is up vs the 512M and you can pick up 550 for half the price.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I really do not understand why the 512M commands such a huge premium over the 512TR. It is an evolution of the earlier car not a limited edition. And personally the evolution looses the design harmony of the earlier car. If it was a spider, barchetta, or had a carbon fiber body I could understand it, but it does not. Performance is up vs the 512 TR but then again the 550 is up vs the 512M and you can pick up 550 for half the price.
If what has been stated, ie, 500 units of 512M were made, then that is the reason. It has a miniaturized version of the Enzo phenomenon: visually challenged but made in small numbers = value is up.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Michael Sheehan says that anything under 500 units production will at some time command a decent price.

I think the Boxer is a now a love affair because it was: a) never actually imported, b) very classic in appearance, c) stylish, and d) very fast.

It is a neat car and since few others are easily available this is next in line.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Michael Sheehan says that anything under 500 units production will at some time command a decent price.

I think the Boxer is a now a love affair because it was: a) never actually imported, b) very classic in appearance, c) stylish, and d) very fast.

It is a neat car and since few others are easily available this is next in line.
yes I think Boxers are the best looking mid-engined Ferraris made. They nailed it on that body style. And they're 12s, making them the ultimate.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
If what has been stated, ie, 500 units of 512M were made, then that is the reason. It has a miniaturized version of the Enzo phenomenon: visually challenged but made in small numbers = value is up.
Not sure I fully buy into the number of unit theory. Only 500 365 GTC/4s were produced but it sells for a third what a Daytona commands. I do think the number of units does have a effect on value but it also needs to be linked to something else really unique about the car (example the 550 Barchetta).

On the 512 M, they only made 500 because that was all they could sell. I do not think they set out to only make 500 when they did the facelift over the 512 TR.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Not sure I fully buy into the number of unit theory. Only 500 365 GTC/4s were produced but it sells for a third what a Daytona commands. I do think the number of units does have a effect on value but it also needs to be linked to something else really unique about the car (example the 550 Barchetta).

On the 512 M, they only made 500 because that was all they could sell. I do not think they set out to only make 500 when they did the facelift over the 512 TR.
Good point that I should have caught; the GTC/4 is one of my favorite Ferraris, above the Daytona in styling for me personally.

Number of units generally will determine values, as does styling and provenance. But not necessarily all 3 at the same time. The GTC/4 is generally regarded as inferior to the Daytona's styling, has no provenance .... therefore it is relatively undesired despite it's lower numbers.

In the case of the 512M, subjective factors must weigh in, too. Maybe it is because it is a novel iteration of the TR body style that it commands a niche premium. You can have a regular TR for dirt by comparison even if the M version strikes many as ugly; I actually like it better than the regular one and would want it were I to go the TR route.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Never seen a 550 Barchetta, except for the pictures, but in the right climate what a great fun car to drive. What other front engine V12s give you the open top fun.

Boxer, I see that yellow 512 open top you posted (from your visit to Spain) in Puerto Banus on a regular basis.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Never seen a 550 Barchetta, except for the pictures, but in the right climate what a great fun car to drive. What other front engine V12s give you the open top fun.

Boxer, I see that yellow 512 open top you posted (from your visit to Spain) in Puerto Banus on a regular basis.
I think the owner lives in the area. Thought it was a very nice looking conversion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts