1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Have a look at this link: http://www.thetimes.co.za/Entertainment/Article.aspx?id=876208

Johann Rupert has a decent car collection (see it at www.fmm.co.za). A mate of mine sold him his GTO to complete the GTO, F40, F50, Enzo collection.

What a complete idiot.
Wow...first off I don't understand why so many people with exotic cars let their children drive them alone, and/or with a equally young age friend. I understand that he is 22 and not a child, but not only was he driving without his fathers watchful eye, but he had a friend in the passenger seat. If I were a dad and had a 22 year old son while owning an exotic car, I'm pretty sure I would let him drive the car...with me in the passenger seat. I, being near this age bracket, 20, would not take my dad's Ferrari F50 out, if he had one, with a friend. That is the absolute making of a bad situation, peer pressure. Well enough of my little rant...

Chris

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The worst thing is that this particular F50 was brought into SA before the legislation regarding the importation of LHD cars changed. There will probably not be any more brought into the country.

What a loss...

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Good news! According to News24.com this morning, the F50 will not be written off. Accidents happen and hopefully this one will have a happy ending with no one hurt, the F50 repaired and lessons learnt.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Good news! According to News24.com this morning, the F50 will not be written off. Accidents happen and hopefully this one will have a happy ending with no one hurt, the F50 repaired and lessons learnt.
I saw this news article this morning and I have just read an update saying that the family have said the F50 is not written off (as per Vitalone's post)as to what they thought viewing the damage after the accident. They are now in the process of getting quotes for the repairs. Apparently this is not the first time the son has driven one of the many exotic cars that the father owns.

Below is the only picture that I have seen of the accident.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
...Oh wow that just looks bad...:argh:

Chris

P.S.-These are hilarious smilies:car-smiley-002:

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Have a look at this link: http://www.thetimes.co.za/Entertainment/Article.aspx?id=876208

Johann Rupert has a decent car collection (see it at www.fmm.co.za). A mate of mine sold him his GTO to complete the GTO, F40, F50, Enzo collection.

What a complete idiot.
I feel very sorry for all involved but hey guys, keep focused. On one side you guys rightfully are arguing that Ferraris ought to be driven (but by who :) ) and on the other side you know exactly that things like this will happen again and over again. (It happend to me as well on the track once, o.k. it was my car) I do not want to protect this 22 year old driver, but honestly would you go and drive your Dad's car as a 22 year old and having your dad constantly (!) next to you ? NO at least me not ! Besides you know why Daddy was not sitting next to him ? Because Daddy needs to work hard to get the F50 and probably anyway has not sufficient time to spend for his family !
Lets be happy about the fact that it seems nobody was hurt and the F50 is repairable !!

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I feel very sorry for all involved but hey guys, keep focused. On one side you guys rightfully are arguing that Ferraris ought to be driven (but by who :) ) and on the other side you know exactly that things like this will happen again and over again. (It happend to me as well on the track once, o.k. it was my car) I do not want to protect this 22 year old driver, but honestly would you go and drive your Dad's car as a 22 year old and having your dad constantly (!) next to you ? NO at least me not ! Besides you know why Daddy was not sitting next to him ? Because Daddy needs to work hard to get the F50 and probably anyway has not sufficient time to spend for his family !
Lets be happy about the fact that it seems nobody was hurt and the F50 is repairable !!
You do make a valid point, and it is good to hear that nobody was injured and the car is repairable.

Chris

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is sad to see my favourite car in this condition.

But, the Brazilian F50 also had a big damage. It was restored and today is like new
So, I believe that this unity will have the same destiny.

luckily, no one was hurt. But I hope it will serve as a lesson to the guy, and that he has more careful when driving the cars of your father or any other with high power .

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The family is the Ruperts - daddy didn't work that hard - he himself is the late Anton Rupert's son!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
It seems like this one will have a happy ending. Here is the other side of the story:

The owner of the Franschoek Motor Museum Johann Rupert shares the details of his son's crash in a rare Ferrari F50 on the Franschoek Motor Museum website www.fmm.co.za.

"Fellow Petrol Heads,
The press has been full of wild speculation about our son Anton, "writing off" the museum's F50. This is simply not true.

Herewith the facts.
Firstly, we are extremely relieved that nobody sustained any injuries of any kind. This is any parent's only concern. Secondly, the F50 has NOT been "written-off" as the press have stated.

The garage report states: "The Tub, engine, gearbox, doors, right rear panel, engine cover, rear wing, front left suspension, right rear suspension, headlight clusters rear lights, up rights stub-axels, drive shafts and brake assemblies all appear to be undamaged. The largest extent of the damage is carbon fibre body parts and rear left suspension and front right suspension radiators and oil coolers.

Three rims and all the tyres will have to be replaced."

The car will therefore be repaired in South Africa.

Clearly, the press reports have been wildly inaccurate – wrongly suggesting some high speed accident. But, I suppose, the facts should never interfere with a "good story."

As we are all aware, cars that are not driven regularly, suffer irreparable damage. The museum cars are therefore driven often.

I have thus asked a number of people that I trust (including my son) to drive the museum cars. This has been going on for well over a year.

Therefore, if anyone has to be blamed, it is me. But I do not think I chose the drivers incorrectly.

Anton has done an advanced driving course and has been my co-driver in two Mille Miglia's. This race, as we all know, entails driving fast cars that are at least fifty years old. These vehicles therefore have no disc brakes, traction control or ABS and are notoriously hard to handle. He drove brilliantly, during very difficult conditions, as anyone who has competed in this 1,000 mile race can confirm.

My wife and I are very proud of our three children. Despite growing up under an inevitable spotlight, they have all coped very well. They are not spoilt brats.

Anton normally drives an eight year old, second-hand Toyota.

Regards,
Johann Rupert.

PS: I did far worse things at Anton's age, often involving an Alfa Romeo Gulia Super. I am afraid that it is probably in the genes. Finally, even my good friend, Sarel van der Merwe, badly pranged his dad's Porsche whilst still at school."

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Good response from Johann.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's good to be a Rupert...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts