Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With our tanks back to full, and having given a wedding party plenty of time to take pictures in front of the car, it was back out of the highway. Running down the entrance ramps in this machine is just fantastic. The combination of 12 cylinders in a car that weights less than Kate Moss is a near perfect package. The fact that the brakes actually work as soon as you get a bit of heat into them is an added bonus.

The sun was right over head by now and both of us had started to pick up a nice tan. Traffic was still light to non existent so forward progress continued at a respectable clip. 80 kilometers down the road we entered a kilometer long tunnel. Speed in the tunnel was restricted to 100km, so we dropped down to 3 gear, ran the rpms up to a bit over 5000, and announced our presence to any fellow motorist within ten miles. The echo was earth rattling. Exiting the tunnel, Mini Me turned to me and declared that this was the car he wanted when he got his drivers license.

After one last fuel and food stop, the rest of the journey went quickly, the only other incident of note happened while crawling across large suspension bridge near the end . We had several conversations and plenty of thumbs up from other slow moving motorists. All in, a great drive on a beautiful day, in a car who's capabilities are far in excess of mine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Awesome stuff!!
Exiting the tunnel, Mini Me turned to me and declared that this was the car he wanted when he got his drivers license.
Yeah, I'm with him, that's the car I want when I get my license back! :)

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Err...What hast thy Captain of the Enterprise done witht thou license ???:eek:
Just kidding, the last ticket I got was in 1997. :) 43 mph in a 30 mph zone. That's me, bad to the bone!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
we dropped down to 3 gear, ran the rpms up to a bit over 5000, and announced our presence to any fellow motorist within ten miles. The echo was earth rattling.
NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!! heheheheheehehe

Boxer, I'm getting this feeling that you prefer the F50 to the F40 (you mentioned that it has brakes, doesn't have turbo lag, etc)

If you get tired of the F40, I'm very interested in it hehehehe I can pay you over 20 Euros for that car (almost 25 if we close the deal before dinner!), let me know if you are interested!

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!! heheheheheehehe

Boxer, I'm getting this feeling that you prefer the F50 to the F40 (you mentioned that it has brakes, doesn't have turbo lag, etc)
No, don't have a preference (at least yet). They are very different cars. The F40 is actually less physically punishing on long trips.

Also nothing puts a grin on the face and makes you feel like a small boy in shorts (as a Supercar should) quite like the feeling when the F40 turbos hit full boost.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
huuuuum then I guess you're interested in doing business with me now hehehehe what a shame! At least I'll have money to eat tomorrow =)

we're waiting for your post with the F40 vs. F50 story, then!

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
I'm totally new to this forum (fell over it today) a was quite impressed about the different topics and the competent discussions. I'd like to ask "Boxer": How about your experiences on long drives in the gorgeous F 50 regarding the "noise" of the cam chains and "monocoque" frequencies ? Do you use earplugs or any thing ? Thanks for a reply !

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Thanks Boxer,

Inspiring to all of us...

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm totally new to this forum (fell over it today) a was quite impressed about the different topics and the competent discussions. I'd like to ask "Boxer": How about your experiences on long drives in the gorgeous F 50 regarding the "noise" of the cam chains and "monocoque" frequencies ? Do you use earplugs or any thing ? Thanks for a reply !
No, don't use anything. I guess I am a glutton for punishment. Truth be told, it does cause accelerated driver fatigue after a few hours behind the wheel. Five hours of highway cruising in an F50 is equalivant to ten in an F40 in terms of punishment on the driver.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Guess I was in left field on a different thread when I said the F50 was probably a nicer GT. Not the first time, unfortunately....:eek:

Rick

·
Registered
79 Posts
So you have an F50 as well now! (Back from few month hiatus) I've always loved the F50. I think it's the most underappreciated Ferrari in the last 20 years.

·
Registered
275 Posts
thanks for story, it's great you use the F cars where there build for: driving!:)

Which one has more room? (tried to fit in a F40 yesterday but with 6'2 it turned out to be muscle stretching workout)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks, sadly I had to remove a lot of cars from the 'money is no issue' wish list due to fitting problems. (328, 512tr, F40) Saves a lot of (virtual) money though.;)

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
No, don't use anything. I guess I am a glutton for punishment. Truth be told, it does cause accelerated driver fatigue after a few hours behind the wheel. Five hours of highway cruising in an F50 is equalivant to ten in an F40 in terms of punishment on the driver.
Dear Boxer, I have to admit that driving the F50 involves a fantastic feeling, never experienced such "stiffness" of chassis combined with roadholding abilities, especially in curves (only comparable with a Carrera GT as a street equivalent). But to me, the constant "noise" threat (and believe me I love the Ferrari engine "noise") from the chains made me very, very tired. Unfortunately I had never earplugs in but that (i'm afraid) would take other sensations away from my ears.
I had a long and difficult time to decide to buy the F50 or else, because personally to me the F50's crucialness of its basic construction structure was most appealing. Never before was a road car constructed that way and you 200% feel it while driving. Finally I passed the F50 mainly because of the "chain noise" and partially because of missing luggage space. I like to drive the Ferraris I own at least 5'000 miles per year, and there the noise issue becomes some weight.
Since I passed the F50 I'm looking very hard at the F40, and your comments and thoughts of you all are very, very welcomed to help me to come to a decision.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts