Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Proceeding down the exit ramp, two quick gear changes and a glace down at the speedometer, and that was it. With the speedo reading 150 kph it was time to back off quickly. Instant power is probably the best way to describe how an F50 accelerates. No lag, no build up, just full thrust as soon as you apply pressure with your right foot. This coupled with a clutch that is perfectly weighted and a pleasure to use, makes for blistering acceleration. In fact the combination of clutch and short throw gearbox are the best of any Ferrari I have yet driven. The only problem is it does it with so little effort that you do not think you are going as fast as you actually are.

With two quick road changes we were out on the outer ring road and headed for the main highway west. A series of never ending speed cameras keep traffic at a steady 100 kph. I decided at this point to move into the center lane and just flow with traffic. Over the next 15 kilometers we filled the roll of moving photo op. While I have accepted that this comes with the turf on owning these sort of cars, it does get tiring after a while. At points is a bit dangerous when you get people trying to manouver around you to get the perfect shot. In general I will now sit patiently and let them take the picture before moving on. We did have one change of strategy though, in a couple of obnoxious cases, Mini Me would pull out our camera and take pictures of them taking pictures of us. Now that got some interesting looks.

The ring road was dispatched in due course and it was now out on the open road. We settled into a crusing speed of just a bit over the speed limit and at around 3800 rpms in 6th gear. Humming along at this speed the F50 really feels like it is barely stressed. Traffic was light and we were able to open it up a little on several long segments with no one else in sight. With the open top, you not only feel the engine (it is bolted to the back of the bulkhead) but get the full F1 type scream right behind your head. After a bit over 2 hours, it was time to stop for gas.

More later....................

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Nice read...

BTW, in the first picture, what it that steel ball in the center, it looks like a mini trailer hitch ball...

~

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Of course it doesn't rain when you are driving an F50 does it?

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I like how you work "Mini Me" into the story. I can sort of relate to how he is enjoying the trip. You'll have to post some of the pictures he took of the people taking pictures of you. Good stuff! Of course he is along for the trip just to make sure you take care of the car he's taking to college. :)

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I like how you work "Mini Me" into the story. I can sort of relate to how he is enjoying the trip. You'll have to post some of the pictures he took of the people taking pictures of you. Good stuff! Of course he is along for the trip just to make sure you take care of the car he's taking to college. :)
wasn't he taking the F40? hehehehehe

Boxer, if I saw an F50 on the road I'd be so shocked you wouldn't believe (well, you'll find out soon), good to know you are patient with the poor Ferrari freaks heheheheehe

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I would be they are basically all ....crap. I had to cull through 300 to get the 15 that I used along with the 4 posts. He needs a bit of practice on this focusing thing.
I know what you mean, I give my camera to my 6 year old niece now and again and you wouldn't believe how many pictures I have of carpet with the occasional half shoe stuck in. The camera is auto focus so you can really see the dirt in the carpet. Oh, she's quite the little photographer. :)

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I would be they are basically all ....crap. I had to cull through 300 to get the 15 that I used along with the 4 posts. He needs a bit of practice on this focusing thing.
I know what you mean. If I let my son use my camera we end up with shots of the floor, sky, the tops of peoples heads, their feet and random shots of women's breast's - That's my boy;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts