Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this summer, the clutch was replaced on the F50. A $5 seal had failed and allowed oil onto the clutch plate, ruining it. Hence the the whole thing needed to come out and be replaced. Not exactly a simple job.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Great pics, but I'm sure that there is something missing from the first couple of photo's. I hope that they put it back together properly again.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Dear Boxer

Many thanks for those very insightful pictures. I've never seen a F50 without its engine an gearbox...(it looks like one of those fatal damaged "Enzo's" after crashing). Seriously, there are lots of work hours involved in changing the F50's clutch. Have they found other unusual wear of parts by servicing your wonderful F50?

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dear Boxer

Many thanks for those very insightful pictures. I've never seen a F50 without its engine an gearbox...(it looks like one of those fatal damaged "Enzo's" after crashing). Seriously, there are lots of work hours involved in changing the F50's clutch. Have they found other unusual wear of parts by servicing your wonderful F50?
They did not find any other issues when the F50 was apart. In fact the clutch was in good condition and would not have needed replacing if the seal had not failed.

·
Registered
265 Posts
They did not find any other issues when the F50 was apart. In fact the clutch was in good condition and would not have needed replacing if the seal had not failed.
Dear Comrade Boxer,

We often have contributors extolling the virtues in driving their cars and that lack of use is actually more likely to do more harm than good. But, is it your opinion and perhaps even that of the technicians who performed this complex task, that the leak was precipitated more from lack of use than fair wear and tear from mileage covered?

With kind regards,

Vulcan

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dear Comrade Boxer,

We often have contributors extolling the virtues in driving their cars and that lack of use is actually more likely to do more harm than good. But, is it your opinion and perhaps even that of the technicians who performed this complex task, that the leak was precipitated more from lack of use than fair wear and tear from mileage covered?

With kind regards,

Vulcan
Most definitely due to lack of use. Before I acquired it, it had seen little to no use for quite some time.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Wow, that is quite a surgery. Open heart surgery:rofl: Glad to know it pulled through;) Its a shame that the seal caused that.

Chris

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Boxer, very nice pictures, thanks for posting!

Did you take them yourself? I would LOVE to watch that work being done, if I was an owner I'd never leave my Ferrari alone with a mechanic hehehehe specially if it was an F50!

·
Registered
55 Posts
It would be nice if they were a little easier to work on. I guess as you say it is better to put the miles on them. I'm faced with doing that myself in the winter, a la 30k.
Thanks for the pics.

f-man

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It would be nice if they were a little easier to work on. I guess as you say it is better to put the miles on them. I'm faced with doing that myself in the winter, a la 30k.
Thanks for the pics.

f-man
"Easy access to critical mechanical areas to insure low maintenance costs" was definitely not part of the design brief.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Boxer, I don't think the words "low" and "cost" were ever in the same sentence in the F50's project.

In fact, I don't think in any Ferrari! But even less in the "super-mega" Ferraris (like the ones you keep in your stable)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Many Thanks For Posting The Pic's Boxer, Its Great To See Under The Skin So To Speak,of A Truly Amazing Car , When Dealing With A Garage To Undertake This Kind Of Job, You Must Be In A Lucky Position To Have Genuine Trust In Them...;)

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
That second picture is amazing - these guys must really know their business when it comes to putting it all back together.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
That second picture is amazing - these guys must really know their business when it comes to putting it all back together.
At least we hope so...we don't want to hear a sunday drive story when Boxer is cruising down the road and shifts lanes, next thing he knows, his back end is sliding past him in the other lane.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts