Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn the heater on in the F50, the tempature gauge starts heading up quickly when the car is not moving. It has not overheated but was definitely heading in that direction. All the radiator fans are working fine (altought the heater was off when I checked them). Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When I turn the heater on in the F50, the tempature gauge starts heading up quickly when the car is not moving. It has not overheated but was definitely heading in that direction. All the radiator fans are working fine (altought the heater was off when I checked them). Any thoughts?
I have discussed this with my mechanic a few times, looks like the F50 will need to go in to be looked at as neither of us can figure out why it is happening.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Boxer, my wild, wild guess is the electrical gremlins (wiring, fuse, etc.). I am sure you won't take my word for it, sicne I've only seen a F50 in person either parked or moving at 40kph few times so far. Your car is way too exotic for us to comment intelligently. Hope your problem would be resolved in no time. Good luck. w/ smiles Jimmy

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boxer, my wild, wild guess is the electrical gremlins (wiring, fuse, etc.). I am sure you won't take my word for it, sicne I've only seen a F50 in person either parked or moving at 40kph few times so far. Your car is way too exotic for us to comment intelligently. Hope your problem would be resolved in no time. Good luck. w/ smiles Jimmy
Jimmy, Thanks for the ideas. I have checked all the fans etc and tehy seem to work fine. My guess is that it is related to liquid flow through the system. Either a valve is not opening or the radiator core needs flushing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ferrari expansion tank caps

I had the same type of problem on the F40 but noticed that the water level kept falling in the tank and there was a damp patch underneath the tank. The rubber seal on the old cap had split in one place but it was the large spring that was the problem - it had lost its power and you could literally push it back very easily to max with your fingers.

A new cap solved the problem for £14.00 - my only parts expenditure for 2010 !!

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the same type of problem on the F40 but noticed that the water level kept falling in the tank and there was a damp patch underneath the tank. The rubber seal on the old cap had split in one place but it was the large spring that was the problem - it had lost its power and you could literally push it back very easily to max with your fingers.

A new cap solved the problem for £14.00 - my only parts expenditure for 2010 !!
Well done. As all these cars are now more than ten years old, I guess these sort of things are to be expected.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Overheating is always a cause for concern, but it's always related to the same few things no matter what. It’s either low coolant, bad coolant, bad thermostat, blockage, a leak, a bad cap or fans not kicking in.

Now when you use the heater, it circulates the coolant to the heater core so if the engine overheats (which is the complete opposite of what is suppose to happen, cool the engine), it means the level in the engine drops too low and then the engine overheats. So you have low coolant, fill it….but why??? That is the important question…

You may have changed the cap....but keep a sharp eye for leaks or the smell of burning coolant. A cap is one thing but losing that much coolant to actually make the engine overheat is a completely different story. Remember, the hoses are long from the rear to the front to access the heater core.

Just a thought………keep a sharp eye....

~

Mario

1 - 10 of 10 Posts