Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You all probably talked about it, but I missed it...

What is the real story on the F50 GT?

This is what I know at this point:
- 6 F50 GT's where officialy planned to be build.
- 3 F50 GT's are driving around (or standing in a garage)
- 1 of them has been a victim of a bad track accident.
- The 3 remaining chassis were destroyed by court order.

What is the real reason they are destroyed?
Why by court order?
Why did I missed so much information... ...where have I been :oops: ???

Why am I asking this? Well simply because people are so happy with the McLaren F1 LM and they always compare it with the F50. This not a fair comparison... ...isn't it :-? ?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi Marcos. When Ferrari built the first one, they said to the owner that it would be a one-off. Then they made a second one. Then Ferrari said that there would only be TWO cars ever. Then they made a third one. And again, Ferrari said that there would only be THREE cars ever!

I thought that the first owner sued Ferrari for promising certain things and doing something else! That´s why remaining parts were destroyed. (at least that´s what I thought ....)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
adlinyusman said:
why isn't it a fair comparison? The F-50 was capable of going toe to toe with the McLaren LM if i'm not mistaken.
Not realy, the F50 should be good for about 202 mph. The MCLaren F1 LM was good for about 235 mph. Spoken in Top speed off course... ...I'm a blind man with McLaren F1 LM specifications.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
evandaalen said:
Hi Marcos. When Ferrari built the first one, they said to the owner that it would be a one-off. Then they made a second one. Then Ferrari said that there would only be TWO cars ever. Then they made a third one. And again, Ferrari said that there would only be THREE cars ever!

I thought that the first owner sued Ferrari for promising certain things and doing something else! That´s why remaining parts were destroyed. (at least that´s what I thought ....)
Sounds like a reason...

:nuts: ...sad do, because they should have managed different. This way they through away income (dollar bill) and victory (LM privateers)...

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
yep 3 cars
the US one was crashed last year by porsche works driver and send back to the factory for repairs and i hope it will be back this year
in other words I WANNA SEE IT THIS SUMMER :green:
second one is in Australia standing in the showroom of the ferrari dealer
a friend sends me pics of this one every time he goes into the dealer
and the third one is in Japan

·
Registered
776 Posts
If I recall correctly, the F50 GT has a top end of 236 miles per hour while the McLaren was about 240 mph.
Now does anyone remember the Vector? Why you ask? It toped out around 250 mph. And, with Bugatti stirring the pot with their 252 mph Veyron (sp?) - which they can't seem to get working right :wink: - the table is not even shaken because Callaway threw a Sledgehammer down the track at 255 mph! See it here -> http://www.callawaycars.com/CallawayB-J2004/CallawaySledgehammer.htm

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
4kids3fish said:
Dj Dirk said:
Any idea which dealer / which city?
(hopefully somewhere near me :roll: )
i don't remember it of the top of my head

i just sended an e-mail to him asking wich dealer and the address of them

·
Registered
92 Posts
4kids3fish said:
Dj Dirk said:
It's in Melbourne. In Richmond, actually. Corner Balmain and Stephenson Sts. It's not the dealer, it's MCR...the guys who have the 360ch race team.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Aircon said:
4kids3fish said:
Dj Dirk said:
It's in Melbourne. In Richmond, actually. Corner Balmain and Stephenson Sts. It's not the dealer, it's MCR...the guys who have the 360ch race team.
What's the deal with their name? I've heard them referred to as Prancing Horse Racing, Maranello Motorsport and now Maranello Concessionaires Racing.

BTW, I really admire the collection of cars you have had the pleasure to own.

·
Registered
132 Posts
360 Spyder said:
If I recall correctly, the F50 GT has a top end of 236 miles per hour while the McLaren was about 240 mph.
Now does anyone remember the Vector? Why you ask? It toped out around 250 mph. And, with Bugatti stirring the pot with their 252 mph Veyron (sp?) - which they can't seem to get working right :wink: - the table is not even shaken because Callaway threw a Sledgehammer down the track at 255 mph! See it here -> http://www.callawaycars.com/CallawayB-J2004/CallawaySledgehammer.htm
I was a fan of the Sledgehammer, but it is not a production vehicle. In the late 90's they took an early production F1, removed the computer rev limiter, and ran 240.something. Just under 241.

·
Registered
132 Posts
They planned to buid 25, which is the minimum amount to homologate the car for FIA racing. However.....

Intended to replace Ferraris old but nevertheless still extremely competitive F40 GTE's that had been campaigned in the BPR GT Championship's of 1995 and '96, the factory built F50 GT was originally scheduled for a lmited run of 25 examples to gain homologation into GT1. However, by 1997, the endurance racing landscape had changed, a re-branded FIA GT Championship seeing manufacturers like Mercedes and Toyota destroy the outgoing BPR series production-based ethos with what were little more than Group C cars.
This combined with Ferrari’s total commitment to winning the F1 World Championship and a consequent lack of suitable personnel convinced them to abort the project - but not before the GT was able to post even quicker lap times around Fiorano than the 333 SP! After the first example, chassis 001, Ferrari publicly stated that no additional cars would be built, however, two more were subsequently constructed for special customers, neither of whom were ever permitted to race them. Set-up changes saw the arrival of F1-style carbon disc brakes and fully adjustable Koni race dampers whilst there was also a substantial drop in ride height. Twenty-inch Speedline wheels required some mild re-working of the front arches while underneath were two huge venturi's that dominated the view from behind. Using a hot Tipo F130A engine, Ferrari retained the 4.7-litre displacement of stock F50 but these GT's were realising a mighty 750bhp at 10,500rpm. There was an increase in compression and Magnetti Marelli Competition Stage 3 engine management while performance was astounding - zero to sixty 2.9 seconds and a 235 mph top speed. There was also a new six-speed sequential gearbox, this coupled to a longer wearing and faster shifting carbon clutch. Meanwhile, the bodywork was substantially altered from the road-going F50. Fixed in Berlinetta configuration, the GT featured a flatter rear deck than the F50 thanks to Ferrari removing the stock versions elaborate wing, replacing it with a new fully adjustable item. A roof-mounted scoop fed air to the engine, markedly larger radiator cooling vents being carved into the front lid along with a central NACA duct for the cabin.
here was also a re-profiled front valance while where the two flying buttresses had left a more or less flush transparent rear engine cover on the road car, the GT featured a contoured and heavily vented rear lid that was raised to the buttress height, thus smoothing airflow over the body. As you would expect, this was again manufactured from composite materials but was now a quick-release panel. A thoroughly stripped out interior contributed to the GT weighing in at just 907kg, some 413 kg lighter than road car while as previously mentioned, only three were ever completed by the factory, the chassis numbers of which are listed below:
F50 GT Chassis Index

001 Ferrari testing and development car, sold refurbished to Art Zifiropoulo on the basis that he would not race the car and Ferrari would build no additional examples. However, two further chassis were built up by Ferrari.
002 Little known
003 Little known

Also, they have 2 F50 GT chassis left, that could be used to build 2 more. One can only wish.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I swear I wish I was into Ferraris in 1997-98 or so like I am now and I would have had the opportunity to see one in the flesh...

·
Registered
92 Posts
tdc911 said:
Aircon said:
4kids3fish said:
Dj Dirk said:
What's the deal with their name? I've heard them referred to as Prancing Horse Racing, Maranello Motorsport and now Maranello Concessionaires Racing.

Oh God, don't ask...it's one of the mysteries of the ages! It's now Mark Coffey Racing. PHR and MCR split up or something and blah blah blah...who knows! Doesn't matter......the place is a sensational perve for any petrol head!!!!!!!

And thanks.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
tdc911 said:

Hey Tristan

i see you signed up :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts