Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searching thru the details of the F50's and "Scuderia's" engine and performance details, it came to my attention that the 2 cars offer very strong similarities in performance and engine construction details. Of course, one is a 12 Cylinder and the other a 8 cylinder car but even with that in mind the similarities engine wise are interesting:

F50: Scuderia:

Power 520 hp 510 hp
per litre 111 hp 118 hp
max.p.at 8'500 rpm 8'500 rpm
max. torque 48 kgm 47.9 kgm
max. torque at 6'500 rpm 5'250 rpm
weight dry 1230 kg 1'250 kg
standing kilometer 21.7 s. 20.9 s. (shifting speed)
bore/stroke 85/69 92/81

Understandingly the bore and stroke are bigger with the 8 cylinder engine to replace the "volume" of the missing 4 cylinder's and the 400 kubic cm in displacement in respect to the 12 cylinder engine but the relative ratio is within 10% of each other.

Another interesting aspect (I would not have expected) is that the front/rear track of the Scuderia is bigger (167/161 cm) than on the "broadly and flat" appearing F50 (162/160.2)

I thought it may be of interest to you.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Searching thru the details of the F50's and "Scuderia's" engine and performance details, it came to my attention that the 2 cars offer very strong similarities in performance and engine construction details. Of course, one is a 12 Cylinder and the other a 8 cylinder car but even with that in mind the similarities engine wise are interesting:

F50: Scuderia:

Power 520 hp 510 hp
per litre 111 hp 118 hp
max.p.at 8'500 rpm 8'500 rpm
max. torque 48 kgm 47.9 kgm
max. torque at 6'500 rpm 5'250 rpm
weight dry 1230 kg 1'250 kg
standing kilometer 21.7 s. 20.9 s. (shifting speed)
bore/stroke 85/69 92/81

Understandingly the bore and stroke are bigger with the 8 cylinder engine to replace the "volume" of the missing 4 cylinder's and the 400 kubic cm in displacement in respect to the 12 cylinder engine but the relative ratio is within 10% of each other.

Another interesting aspect (I would not have expected) is that the front/rear track of the Scuderia is bigger (167/161 cm) than on the "broadly and flat" appearing F50 (162/160.2)

I thought it may be of interest to you.
Very interesting. One additional point, the F50 has 28 more valves.

In all seriousness, it does follow the pattern where the "normal" Ferrari road cars are able to deliver the same performance as the "super" Ferraris within a decade. My guess is you would see a similar result if you compared the F40 to the Challenge Stradale.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course, not to forget the valve's ... (and the sound is different too).:)

I agree on the comparison f40/Stradale track time wise whereas the "internals are compleately different as the Turbo plays its card:

Torque: 38 kgm Stradale versus 58.8 kgm's F 40 (thats a huge 52% advantage)
standing kilometer: 22s. Stradale against 20.9 F40

Anyway interesting

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Thank you for sharing the information.

Chris

·
Registered
36 Posts
Very interesting. Thanks for the info. I'd like to see the dyno charts of each. It surprised me to see that despite the larger and engine and more cylinders, the F50's torque curve peaks later on in the rpm range than the Scuderia. Thank trick variable valve timing and other goodies of more modern vehicles. Besides cost, I wonder why nobody puts 5-valves per cylinder in their engines anymore. I believe Audi used to put it on one of their engines.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very interesting. Thanks for the info. I'd like to see the dyno charts of each. It surprised me to see that despite the larger and engine and more cylinders, the F50's torque curve peaks later on in the rpm range than the Scuderia. Thank trick variable valve timing and other goodies of more modern vehicles. Besides cost, I wonder why nobody puts 5-valves per cylinder in their engines anymore. I believe Audi used to put it on one of their engines.
The reason for the faster torque maximum reached with the Scuderia is the considerable higher volume of each single cylinder. This is one of the reasons why Enzo Ferrari has spread the engine failure risks to different engine capacities while racing the long distance races in earlier days. While using high speed, high revs and lower torque 12 cylinders he spread the risk while giving to other Ferrari teams the 4 and 6 cylinders Models (500 Mondial, 750 Monza, 860 Monza's, 121 LM. 206 Dino's etc) with lower revs, high torque (and high vibration)))))))))))).

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
The reason for the faster torque maximum reached with the Scuderia is the considerable higher volume of each single cylinder. This is one of the reasons why Enzo Ferrari has spread the engine failure risks to different engine capacities while racing the long distance races in earlier days. While using high speed, high revs and lower torque 12 cylinders he spread the risk while giving to other Ferrari teams the 4 and 6 cylinders Models (500 Mondial, 750 Monza, 860 Monza's, 121 LM. 206 Dino's etc) with lower revs, high torque (and high vibration)))))))))))).
Hm I guess it's all just physics. I always knew that more cylinders = less vibration/smoother running, but never gave it as much thought why.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts