Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My main question is about reliability and parts costs concerning the 430's auto-clutch, and the abuse it takes during stop and go driving.

So...how reliable is the clutch itself, and other components, in the auto-clutch F1 vs the manual? It seems as though I've heard of the headaches from the previuos generation (F355 & 360) f1 system and its components, but not too much about the 430's.

Also, I have never driven an auto-clutch. Is there any low speed drivability issues that I should know about? -parking lot stuff, traffic jams, ect...

I have a Jag with flappy paddles, although its not a properly cogged gearbox--its actually fully auto--it is pleasant around town, in traffic, in car parks, and then on the backroads it allows me to shift at the rev I want, which is really all I'm looking for. Its a good compromise betwen an auto and a manual.

Is the F430 F1 on the same ease of use level of the Jag (or any other ZF tranny fitted car)?

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
The F1 system in the 430 is vastly improved vs. the original fitted in the 355 F1. It is also smoother than the 360 version. However it is not a great low speed or traffic gearbox. In both these situations the 6 speed manual is still better and the Jag system would be much smoother.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Boxer!

...so, how about reliability concerns with the F1 clutch and gearbox?

No bother really though, the manual is my ultimate decision. I guess I better brush up on my heel-and-toe technique, just hope the old 512 is up to some proper flogging before I go to trade it off--lets hope!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My main question is about reliability and parts costs concerning the 430's auto-clutch, and the abuse it takes during stop and go driving.

So...how reliable is the clutch itself, and other components, in the auto-clutch F1 vs the manual? It seems as though I've heard of the headaches from the previuos generation (F355 & 360) f1 system and its components, but not too much about the 430's.

Also, I have never driven an auto-clutch. Is there any low speed drivability issues that I should know about? -parking lot stuff, traffic jams, ect...

I have a Jag with flappy paddles, although its not a properly cogged gearbox--its actually fully auto--it is pleasant around town, in traffic, in car parks, and then on the backroads it allows me to shift at the rev I want, which is really all I'm looking for. Its a good compromise betwen an auto and a manual.

Is the F430 F1 on the same ease of use level of the Jag (or any other ZF tranny fitted car)?
Are you looking for F430 Coupe or spider?

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's F1 for me all the way

I’m a life long 3-peddle guy but I must stick up for the F1 a little here. It’s not a 430 but my ’02 360 F1 coupe drives slick as goose $hit and twice as easy. Everyone says the 430 F1 is even better but I can’t imagine how. I’ve done lots of general driving (work, errands, etc.) and been stuck in traffic plenty enough to know the F1 is really no different than a manual, just a lot easier on your left leg. You wouldn’t ride the clutch with a manual and you do the same with the F1 by controlling clutch engagement using the throttle and brake.

If you simply prefer the manual, that’s great. Get your 430 that way and have a great time. Your Jag automatic is quite different and probably easier than the Ferrari F1, but not much. Get the manual if you like it better but don’t be fooled into thinking it’s more reliable or more durable or somehow “better” than the F1 because it ain’t.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
43 Posts
bad in traffic

When you can move it's no problem, but there's the problem with overheating of the system when in extensive stop and go traffic. Last year with an accident in lincoln tunnel going into Manhattan and a 10 mile back-up in the middle of the summer, the F1 started stalling going into 1st after about an hour of stop and go. Normally I'd just leave 2-3 car lengths and then pull up so the clutch can fully engage, but you know NY'ers: leave 1/2 a car length and the guy next to you will cut you off hoping to gain a position in traffic.

If you commute in it and will be in rush hour traffic, you might want to consider another option than the F1 (keep in mind above problem was after an hour of traffic, small delays is not a problem). I wouldn't worry about it otherwise.

-Ron, aka Mille162

--------------------------------
Authentic motorsports inspiried office furniture and lifestyle accessories

Orders: 267-632-5003 [email protected]
www.RaceChairs.com
--------------------------------​

1 - 7 of 7 Posts