Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This article was posted on the Motor Authority website two days ago...

The first examples of Ferrari’s latest model, the California convertible, are just starting to hit showrooms around the world but already development on several all-new models is well underway. Late last year we saw images of a shortened 599 testing in Germany, suggesting that Ferrari may be working a new compact front-engined model, and now we have new spy shots of the replacement for the F430.

The images depict a test mule for the next-generation F430 hidden under the body of the current model. A sticker located at the side of one of the windows shows the internal codename ‘F142’ but the actual name of the car is more likely to be based on the size of the engine just like the current F430. Recent speculation has suggested that the new model will be fitted with a 4.5L V8 engine and labeled the F450. However, it is still too early to confirm what Ferrari has planned as the car isn’t expected to be launched until late next year at the earliest.

Some details we can gather from the spy shots include bigger air intakes at the sides of the car, a new centrally mounted exhaust system and a slightly longer wheelbase.

While the styling of the F430 replacement is expected to remain similar to the current model, the car’s mechanicals could be very different. Ferrari has confirmed that it is looking at a range of powertrain advancements including hybrid and turbocharging technologies, as well as the introduction of lighter construction methods and active aerodynamics.

Have any members read or heard any confirmed news on the F430 replacement?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
The picture looks like a modified Scuderia.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Ferrari F450 will appear at Frankfurt
Thursday, February 12, 2009

From AUTOCAR

Ferrari will unveil its F430 replacement at Frankfurt in October, giving its biggest-selling model a life of just five years.

Code-named Ferrari F142 and expected to be christened Ferrari F450 in production, the new V8-powered car will be largely new, with few carryover components in the chassis or bodywork.

While it was only released in 2004, the Ferrari F430’s chassis was heavily based on the 360 Modena whose parts dated back to 1999.

Production of F430s has slowed recently, ahead of the F450’s start-of-production in July. Insiders who have seen the F450 insist it is one of the most beautiful Ferraris in years.

While details on the car are scant, it will run an enlarged version of the F430’s V8, equipped with direct injection giving an output of more than 500bhp from its 4.5-litre capacity, hence the F450 moniker.

The transmission will be a variant of the seven-speed dual-clutch system shared with the new California.

Linked to Ferrari’s steering-wheel mounted ‘manettino’ control, the dual-clutch transmission promises drivers a choice between quick sporty changes and relaxed automatic operation.

Ferrari has been working hard on weight reduction with its suppliers and the F450 is expected to take Alcoa’s advances in aluminium chassis technology to new heights.

Sources also suggest the F450 is already as fast around the Fiorano test track as the compromise-free F430 Scuderia.

But it will also ride more firmly than the Ferrari California, leaving buyers in no doubt about the focus of either car.

European Ferrari F450 sales are expected to begin late this year or early in 2010.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Posted by Mike Bops over on F chat -

" Gentleman

Just to inform you that Ferrari will launch the all new 430 replacement in October of this year. It is a all new model with an all new engine. Initial pics I have seen are gorgeous. The car will be available for Europe in December 09 for dealers and the very first customer cars in January.

Mike"

Mike is a well regarded source and usually first in line for new models it seems so this info is probably reliable.

I also came across some more info from a guy who has a good factory source:

Engine will be 4.7litre with direct injection and will be naturally aspirated (not turbocharged as previously thought)
Weight will be close to the 430 Scuderia
New suspension (most likely the magnetic ride system from the California)
Electronics from Scuderia
DCT transmission (?)
Power level close to the Lamborghini LP560/4
Design will be not so different from current F430 with 599 style single rear tailights and front headlights that will follow the style of the 599 & California
Performance will be better than 430 Scuderia
Presentation in quarter 4 2009 or 1st quarter 2010 (there are some development delays apparently)
A lot of research is being carried out in the wind-tunnel and a there is a very high level of electronics in the car

Target price is € 200.000. This is above the Gallardo LP560 but ccb will be standard equipment in line with Ferrari's current policy.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
--- there is a very high level of electronics in the car---
Here we go with unreliability.

Ferrari's have always been somewhat electronically simple but now they want to keep their dealers service depts busy!

Definitely will have the dual clutch. Ferrrai has indicated the F1 is on its way out.

I would bet they will not introduce many exterior body changes. Longer wheelbase is a major revamp for this vehicle.

Not surprised it will be lighter. I see a bit of C.F. on it already and Ferrari has said they'll use more C.F.

The question is at least for my info what is the market for these? Where are they going to sell them?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Here we go with unreliability.

Ferrari's have always been somewhat electronically simple but now they want to keep their dealers service depts busy!

Definitely will have the dual clutch. Ferrrai has indicated the F1 is on its way out.

I would bet they will not introduce many exterior body changes. Longer wheelbase is a major revamp for this vehicle.

Not surprised it will be lighter. I see a bit of C.F. on it already and Ferrari has said they'll use more C.F.

The question is at least for my info what is the market for these? Where are they going to sell them?
The electronics will hopefully be ok as they are mostly coming from external suppliers. Ferrari is simply playing catch up in many areas with it's competitors. Things like the magnetic dampers are well proven now and have been fitted to the 599 with few issues. The 430 has also had a fairly good record with regard to the e-diff etc. I believe Ferrari are also working on a new composite material that is as light as c/f but cheaper to manufacture.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I could deal with the some of the ones you mentioned (exclude e-differential) but anything more than that I would lose interest.

I just settled a lemon law suit with M-B over extraordinary electronic problems in an 03 CL500.

I don't ever want to deal with those again in a car!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Recent pics of the F430 replacement mule doing winter tests in Sweden.

''this new Ferrari will be a techfest unlike any other...'' quote from Car Magazine (U.K)

Judging by these pictures showing rear scoops, to me it looks like Ferrari might be testing ideas that are found on the Murcielago where the rear air vents rise up once a certain speed has been reached....or maybe they are testing new styles of side vents that would be permantly showing? I see the two outer lights are also bigger as per the 599GTB.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I wonder what engine will be under the hood.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
sure that isn't the 450?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts