3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which car do you prefer, and why?

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
F40...

In my likeness of both cars, the F40 just beats the F50. I usually like a cars successor more, because of the increased technology and improvements. The F50 is definately a nicer design reguardless of what Jeremy Clark says.;) The front, and the rear are definately styled better than the F40 IMO. I do like how the F50 is a convertible, but I just think the raw racing attitude of the F40 does it for me. The twin turbo of the F40 is definately a plus, although I've read that the F40 has pretty bad turbo lag. Then again, its the internet can you really trust what people write?;) :rofl:

Final-So I personally think this one would be more of a tie for me, because there are pros and cons of both cars

Chris

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nough said...
I put the F40 and the F50 because they are similar in that of performance, and they are stripped ferraris with no paddle shifters. I absolutely love the Enzo, but it is in a completely different league then the F40 and F50, due to the paddle shifters, the amazing amount of technology that is under the hood, and in the cockpit of that car. It is definately a superior design IMO.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Enzo superior than the F40?

Sorry, but I strongly disagree.

F40 all the way!

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Enzo superior than the F40?

Sorry, but I strongly disagree.

F40 all the way!
I agree, I have driven one paddle shifter car, though it wasn't a Ferrari, I don't think it is as fun as a stick. Maybe on the track the Enzo would be more fun but, definately the F40:D

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Boxer, I guess you voted for the F50, and I even kind of understand that (no, I don't).

But my question is: before you had both cars, would you still answer "F50" when asked which one was the best in your opinion?

I mean, did you prefer the F40 before you got to know the F50 more closely?

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Boxer, I guess you voted for the F50, and I even kind of understand that (no, I don't).

But my question is: before you had both cars, would you still answer "F50" when asked which one was the best in your opinion?

I mean, did you prefer the F40 before you got to know the F50 more closely?
The F40 is an extreme road car which can be raced.

The F50 is a racecar with a license plate attached.

Both are great great cars. The F50 just does everything a little bit better. This is why it is a couple of seconds faster around a track than an F40.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I say F40, and my son says F50.
I just love the agressive 80's styling of the F40, if I ever won the lottery it would be my first purchase.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
F50 !

No street car ever had a carbon chassis with the engine mounted directly to the chassis, even not the Enzo, even not the Carrera GT. Mounting the engine directly to the chassis is the only total uncompromising way of making the best out of technical knowledge and using F1 technique chassis-wise to a street car. With this I'm also clarly saying that every F50 owner probably will need to learn the hand-language of the deaf after driving the F50 for long distance. But this is no excuse. After all we are enthusiasts...aren't we ?!

On the F40 people tend to discuss about how fast you will accelerate with the F40, and how those Turbo's kick in and what can be felt by that (it is phantastic indeed) but then, with 150 mph, just try to brake......:eek: ...it takes really some risks...(especially when used to modern Ferraris) The brakes in the F50 are better than the regular ones on the F40, probably a reason why many F40 owners opt to add racing brake systems to their car (with huge follow up costs) but, and this to me is also the only downpoint for the F50 the brakes are nowwhere as they should be for such a potent car, even for 1995.
Still the F40 is a fantastic car, raw, brutal and epic in many aspects... !

Well after Boxers comment I have to go for the F40 since I never owned any of the two :)

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
I agree, I would recommend that you buy a F40 before the F50.
Just to clarify, I would recommend owning and learning how to properly drive an F40 before the getting involved with an F50. Reason being that an F40 is handful to drive and very apparently so. The moment you try to depress the rock hard clutch for the 1st time you realise that this car requires both skill and respect to pilot. The F50 lacks any of these types of clear signals as to its nature. This combind with the even higher performance limits can provide a false sense of security. Especially as neither car has any types of electronic drivers aids. When a F40 bites it can be dramatic but loosing control of an F50 is guaranteed to be spectacular.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
I agree completely with you Archie, I love the rawness of the F40 and what it meant when it came on the market in the late 80’s. This was a totally badass ultimate extreme road car, no frills just pure adrenaline hp and aggressive performance. It also was a car that Enzo designed and made all the other companies go….”what the f%$# is that??? OMG, we are in deep sh%$ if we don’t come up with something good….”

I still have the issues of Road and Track on the unveiling of this car and still to this day I go and open it up and read the article and think “wow, what an amazing machine for that time….”

If I win the lottery tomorrow…I would still buy a 348 and a 93 512TR, and she...the F40, would be the 3rd in my garage, they say the 3rd is always a charm….lol

~

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
F50 for sure - it is sublime.

However if I were to be in a position to indulge my passion than I would take Boxers advice and learn how to drive first - starting with a 288 GTO, then an F40 and then the F50 that should in theory prepare me for the FXX which I would also wish to add to my stable.

What was it Kipling said? 'Dream but do not make dreams your master?' what a dude, Now I am inspired!!!

OK...off to buy a Lotto ticket!

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
What was it Kipling said? 'Dream but do not make dreams your master?' what a dude, Now I am inspired!!!

OK...off to buy a Lotto ticket!

Didn't work. Oh well :(

I reckon Mr Kipling should stick to making 'exceedingly good cakes' that make you sick if you eat too many :)

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Boxer, you have described the experience of both well. I have spent some time in both and have been servicing both since their introduction. I have always preferred the styling of the F40 over the F50 but prefer the drivetrain and its driveability over the F40. The noise level in the F50 though is a bit hard for me to take, the engine being a stressed member and the drum like qualities of the chassis make it hard for me to drive for very long. There is one thing about both that you can never quite convey to anyone who has never had the pleasure to drive either and that is there is no mistake when behind the wheel of either that you have a great big hand full of car and a car you best have the greatest respect for. Neither car will suffer a fool.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts