Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
I own a tyre company so i probally could help you.

The f40 is offcoarse a supercar so you need some real performance tyres.
I have got some michelin pilots under my m5. I know not a high performance F40 but Michelin is always very good quality and good for high performance.
Don't know which tyre the F40 came with.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
the original tires were Pirellis, right?

I have absolutelly no idea what would be better for you, Boxer, sorry

·
Registered
265 Posts
I will need to replace the tires on the F40 in the next year or two (more due to age than wear). Any recommendations ?
Dear Comrade Boxer,

The English F-40 is fitted with Michelin Pilot Sport tyres. These appear to be perfectly fine to me. Michelin have always made high quality tyres so when the time comes for replacement I shall request Michelin again. The cost of a full set here in England hardly exceeds one thousand pounds, which, all things considered, does not seem inordinately expensive.

With kind regards,

Vullcan

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
I will need to replace the tires on the F40 in the next year or two (more due to age than wear). Any recommendations ?
Dear Boxer

Originally Ferrari SpA delivered the F40 with either Pirelli P Zero or Bridgestone RE 71 (245/40 ZR 17 and 335/35 ZR 17)

As other forum members indicated, Michelin seems to have great products, especially also for hitting the track. Their mixture seems to be a little softer than most other products, indicating great grip (and faster use:) )

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I've read a few reviews on the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires. The reviews are really good, and they aren't outrageously expensive. Just my 2 cents;)

Chris

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dear Boxer

Originally Ferrari SpA delivered the F40 with either Pirelli P Zero or Bridgestone RE 71 (245/40 ZR 17 and 335/35 ZR 17)

As other forum members indicated, Michelin seems to have great products, especially also for hitting the track. Their mixture seems to be a little softer than most other products, indicating great grip (and faster use:) )
Goodyear GSA's and Michelins were also oem as well.

I think the Michelin Pilot Sport 2's are an excellent option Boxer. There is also a company in the USA that will make identical oem look wheels in 18" which opens up a whole host of tire options.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feedback. The F40 currently has Michelins on them and so far they have been quite good. My inclination would be to stay with them.

One other thing that I have been considering is when it comes time to replace the tires, to move to the 18" wheels (per RufMDs suggestion) and get bigger brakes installed. Thoughts ?

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. The F40 currently has Michelins on them and so far they have been quite good. My inclination would be to stay with them.

One other thing that I have been considering is when it comes time to replace the tires, to move to the 18" wheels (per RufMDs suggestion) and get bigger brakes installed. Thoughts ?
That would be really neat. What style wheel would you be moving to? 5 star still?

·
Registered
265 Posts

Dear Comrade Boxer,

This is not something that I would consider - spoiling as it would, the originality of the motor car. However, should you consider doing so, you would need to advise your insurers (under the auspices of the duty of disclosure - in writing) of the modifications. Should you not do so they would be perfectly entitled to invalidate your insurance leaving you exposed to potential gargantuan risks in the event of a substantial claim.

With kind regards,

Vulcan

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Dear Comrade Vulcan,
I would tend to disagree with you. Well, not actually disagree but let's say make some concessions in Boxer's case. I know he has complained about the F40 brakes before so a larger rotor and caliper (with bigger pistons and a larger pad surface) would help this out and as discussed, the 18" rims would allow him a host of other tire options and by lowering the sidewall profile improve the handling also. These are 2 simple modifications that are very easily undone to return the car back to original (should the future owner wish to do so).

I would not bother advising the insurance company, I doubt there is any insurance claims adjuster in the world that could look at an F-40 and say, "Hey, wait a minute! These brakes aren't original equipment!" I don't know about where Boxer lives but where I live there is no regulation preventing you from modifying the brake system provided it still passes the performance standard and if the car had ABS that the ABS has not been disconnected, disabled or removed. I also just did a quick check of my insurance policy and there is nothing preventing me from modifying the brakes in there either. In fact, the exact wording allows my collectible vehicle to be "modified from its original specifications but retaining its structural integrity". So basically, as far as the State Police and the insurance company are concerned, I can do anything I want to my brakes as long as they work at least as well as the original brakes.

Of course it could be completely different in Europe but I would think that as long as he is improving the car's braking system he would have no problems.

So I don't think changing the brakes and tires spoils the cars originality as they can easily be undone. It won't pass a Concours d'Elegance but I don't think Boxer really cares about that. He wants a driver's car. As long as he saves all the old parts, which I know he will, a future owner could once again make the car Concours.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Dear Comrade Vulcan,
I would tend to disagree with you. Well, not actually disagree but let's say make some concessions in Boxer's case. I know he has complained about the F40 brakes before so a larger rotor and caliper (with bigger pistons and a larger pad surface) would help this out and as discussed, the 18" rims would allow him a host of other tire options and by lowering the sidewall profile improve the handling also. These are 2 simple modifications that are very easily undone to return the car back to original (should the future owner wish to do so).

I would not bother advising the insurance company, I doubt there is any insurance claims adjuster in the world that could look at an F-40 and say, "Hey, wait a minute! These brakes aren't original equipment!" I don't know about where Boxer lives but where I live there is no regulation preventing you from modifying the brake system provided it still passes the performance standard and if the car had ABS that the ABS has not been disconnected, disabled or removed. I also just did a quick check of my insurance policy and there is nothing preventing me from modifying the brakes in there either. In fact, the exact wording allows my collectible vehicle to be "modified from its original specifications but retaining its structural integrity". So basically, as far as the State Police and the insurance company are concerned, I can do anything I want to my brakes as long as they work at least as well as the original brakes.

Of course it could be completely different in Europe but I would think that as long as he is improving the car's braking system he would have no problems.

So I don't think changing the brakes and tires spoils the cars originality as they can easily be undone. It won't pass a Concours d'Elegance but I don't think Boxer really cares about that. He wants a driver's car. As long as he saves all the old parts, which I know he will, a future owner could once again make the car Concours.
Dear Comrade Pete04222,

Naturally, it is our good comrade Boxer's decision whether to molest his close-to-perfect F-40. For myself I would not do so. I also confirm that the brakes on my car are fine. But please bear in mind that I am always in front so there is little potential of running into anyone.

Turning to insurance. There is the aspect of 'Duty Of Disclosure' and if an insurance company has not been made fully aware (in writing) of modifications - for example, even the fitment of a sports exhaust, then this is likely to invalidate most insurance policies.

With kind regards,

Vulcan

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Dear Comrade Pete04222,

Naturally, it is our good comrade Boxer's decision whether to molest his close-to-perfect F-40.
I love the way you phrased that!! :)

For myself I would not do so. I also confirm that the brakes on my car are fine. But please bear in mind that I am always in front so there is little potential of running into anyone.
Could be that is why Boxer needs better brakes? For when he is behind you?:rolleyes:

Turning to insurance. There is the aspect of 'Duty Of Disclosure' and if an insurance company has not been made fully aware (in writing) of modifications - for example, even the fitment of a sports exhaust, then this is likely to invalidate most insurance policies.
With kind regards,

Vulcan
A call to the agent would be a good idea.

So here is a little brake story of mine you might like. My Jeep was originally fitted with drum brakes on the rear. Drum brakes are fine until you get them full of mud. Then you have to pull off the drums, clean the brakes and re-adjust them. Pain in the butt. On a 2 day off-road Jeeping event, on the second day nobody has back brakes. I removed the drum brakes from my Jeep and installed a set of rear disc brakes from a Ford Thunderbird. I also removed the stock proportioning valve and installed an adjustable porportioning valve off a circle track race car so I can adjust my rear brake bias right from the dashboard. Very handy offroad. You find the rear brakes grabbing a bit too much and you can dial them down. You get in a downhill situation and want more back brakes you can turn them up a bit. You get in a sticky side hill situation and you can turn the back brakes completely off, put it in 2wd low, apply the front brakes, give it a little gas and now you are pointed uphill. A very nice feature for an offroad vehicle but I still license the Jeep for onroad use also (onroad I use a 60/40 bias split). No one has ever questioned me about that little knob on my dash. "What's that for?" "Oh, it is so I can turn off my back brakes." I'm sure in this case no one would be very impressed.;)

·
Registered
265 Posts
I love the way you phrased that!! :)

Could be that is why Boxer needs better brakes? For when he is behind you?:rolleyes:

A call to the agent would be a good idea.

So here is a little brake story of mine you might like. My Jeep was originally fitted with drum brakes on the rear. Drum brakes are fine until you get them full of mud. Then you have to pull off the drums, clean the brakes and re-adjust them. Pain in the butt. On a 2 day off-road Jeeping event, on the second day nobody has back brakes. I removed the drum brakes from my Jeep and installed a set of rear disc brakes from a Ford Thunderbird. I also removed the stock proportioning valve and installed an adjustable porportioning valve off a circle track race car so I can adjust my rear brake bias right from the dashboard. Very handy offroad. You find the rear brakes grabbing a bit too much and you can dial them down. You get in a downhill situation and want more back brakes you can turn them up a bit. You get in a sticky side hill situation and you can turn the back brakes completely off, put it in 2wd low, apply the front brakes, give it a little gas and now you are pointed uphill. A very nice feature for an offroad vehicle but I still license the Jeep for onroad use also (onroad I use a 60/40 bias split). No one has ever questioned me about that little knob on my dash. "What's that for?" "Oh, it is so I can turn off my back brakes." I'm sure in this case no one would be very impressed.;)
Dear Comrade Pete 04222,

I have to say that this is indeed a most interesting story and far exceeds anything like my own capabilitities with all things mechanical. Accordingly, I am hugely impressed and can only offer by way of reciprocation images of the 512TR that returned but yesterday afternoon from a fortnight's attention within the Ferrari dealership; staffed as it is with quintessential magicians and alchemists reading from their grimoire thus to effect their wizardry of conducting the machinations of the twelve cylinder orchestra of the thaumaturgical behemothic dream machine. (The whole engine has been taken to pieces and reassembled) Perhaps I should request our good comrade Boxer to place them on the Forum - what's your view good comrade?

All good wishes.

With kind regards,

Vulcan

·
Registered
265 Posts
Dear Comrade Vulcan,

Please send me the pictures and I will upload them onto the forum.
Dear Comrade Boxer,

I shall send the images directly to you and I once again thank you for your most kind attention (I was of course rather hoping that you would be forthcoming with yet another more than generous offer).

With kind regards,

Vulcan

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dear Comrade Pete04222,

Naturally, it is our good comrade Boxer's decision whether to molest his close-to-perfect F-40. For myself I would not do so. I also confirm that the brakes on my car are fine. But please bear in mind that I am always in front so there is little potential of running into anyone.

With kind regards,

Vulcan
Dear Comrade Vulcan,

Please be assured that any modification would only be done in such a matter as to be easily reversed (naturally all the original parts would be perserved). The initial thoughts on improving the brakes came from driving the F40 and F50 back to back. When doing so you realize just how much more confidence building the brakes are on the later car.

On the latter, point, we definitely do need to arrange a meeting "off island" with a long jaunt in the lands of few speed cameras.

ATB,

Boxer

·
Registered
12 Posts
Would be very happy to get input on the best tyres to buy for an F40.

The car is running standard Pirelli's on 17 inch wheels. I will swap to a set of OZ Racing 18 inch and need to buy some new boots for these.

I am inclined to go for Michelin PS2 which I have had good experience with. The sizes would be:

Front 245/35 x 18
Rear 335/30 x 18

Any other suggestions?

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Would be very happy to get input on the best tyres to buy for an F40.

The car is running standard Pirelli's on 17 inch wheels. I will swap to a set of OZ Racing 18 inch and need to buy some new boots for these.

I am inclined to go for Michelin PS2 which I have had good experience with. The sizes would be:

Front 245/35 x 18
Rear 335/30 x 18

Any other suggestions?
I would go with the Michelins.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts